HELP Advice needed (not at all OT PLEASE HELP)

Old August 9th 09, 12:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley

Default HELP Advice needed (not at all OT PLEASE HELP)

Any suggestions appreciated...

I may have given the impression that Dunzi ligths joss sticks and has
flowers in her fur and most of the time she is but she does have a not
so angelic side, she can be a bit jealous. Can't find Dunzi? Stroke
Sarsi and unless she is asleep she'll turn up for equal skritchies.

Then again they;re sisters and there are times when you;ll find them
curled up together, each using the other as a pillow or washing each
other. Sometimes they're polite but that's about it and there are
times when they avoid each other and the occasional play fight gets a
little out of hand but as soon as Dave or me tells them to stop they
do their version of the Jedi mind trick "These are not the kittens you
are looking for" and to prove it wash each other

But since yesterday...

It started when Sarsi was scratching something and I said "No!" to her
at which Dunzi who was nowhere to be seen 5 milliseconds before
barrelled into Sarsi, it was pretty nasty and I grabbed Sarsi because
despite her about 3 pound weight advantage, the truth is she's a bit
of a wimp as i lifted Sarsi up, Dunzi was jumping in the air still
trying to get her, which she's never done before, usually once a
Hoomin is holding a cat the fight is over with whoever still has 4
paws on the ground the winner by default.

Anyway after a moment, Dunzi got bored and they both settled down. I
went to make dinner, sat down to eat and....The most almighty racket
broke out in the kitchen followed before I could even get up by Sarsi
fleeing to the safety of under Dave's wheelchair with Dunzi in
murderous pursuit. I've never heard Sarsi hiss before but she was
hissing and squealing. I managed to get a hand on Dunzi and dragged
her into the bathroom where she hissed and growled for a good 5
minutes.....

Alas she's pretty much been locked in there ever since....apart from
when we locked her in the bedroom...

They seemed to have made up when we went to bed....How wrong could we
be? Ten minutes later I had to use a walking stick to part them
because they were screaming at each other on top of the wardrobe once
again Dunzi had started it. She was carted to the bathroom in the
interests of a peaceful night for everyone. I let her out at 7 to have
some breakfast but had to put her back in there because it was
perfectly clear she was looking for Sarsi who was hiding under Dave's
wheelchair- that's odd, usually once one of them hides the other one
loses interest.

We got up about 9.00 and the score so far is one brief sniff then
Dunzi started-, back to bathroom, a little later Sarsi wanted to use
her box but as soon as we opened the door Dunzi came out and went for
her so we put her in the bedroom where she settled down for her normal
snooze and was fine.

Sarsi's scared, she looks depressed as Hell and won't move far from
the wheelchair even when Dunzi's locked up. She just finally went to
get some breakfast (as far as I can tell she's had been under the
wheelchair most of the night) and even through she understands that
the bathroom door is closed she looked all round the kitchen to make
sure Dunzi wasn't there before feeling safe enough to eat and
drink.....

We just put Sarsi in the bathroom because she wanted to use her box
and the safest thing to do was carry her and Dunzi bolted out so she's
in there not because she's done something wrong but more protective
custody. Dunzi is walking round meeping and looking cute like she's
done nothing at all wrong.

I need to sort this out- I have to go back to work tomorrow and I'm
worried because Dave can't bend down and pull them apart if needs be.

Any suggestions as to what started this off and what we can do short
of only having one cat outside the bathroom at any time?

I'll be grateful

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous furballs
Old August 9th 09, 12:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Lesley wrote:
[...]

The only thing I can think of is a Feliway diffuser, though they're
expensive. Apart from that all I can do is send purrs for things to settle
down.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 9th 09, 01:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 9, 4:52*am, "Adrian" wrote:

The only thing I can think of is a Feliway diffuser, though they're
expensive.

Unless we're talking several thousand pounds I don;t care if it's
expensive- I'm definately considering it. Dunzi was sitting by the
window when she made the first attack so I'm wondering if this is
misplaced aggression

Apart from that all I can do is send purrs for things to settle
down.

Thanks. Things are quiet this second- Dunzi has gone to her box by
the bedroom window and is having a snooze- the real big thing will be
in about 20 minutes when I have to take my washing out of the machine
and hang it up in the bathroom, which means the bathroom door will be
open.....Fingers crossed

Old August 9th 09, 01:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Aug 9, 6:30*am, Lesley wrote:
[...]

Leslie, could it be that there's a strange cat hanging around
outdoors? We
have "displaced aggression" problems when that happens. Boots can't
get
through the window glass to beat up the intruder, so she beats up
Biskit.

Does "time out" from each other, shut in seprate rooms for
a few hours help? (or make it worse!)

Difference here, is that Boots hardly tolerates Biskit on a *good*
day. It
sounds like Dunzi and Sarsi do love each other.

Good luck!

Sherry

Old August 9th 09, 02:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

On Aug 9, 5:45*am, Sherry wrote:

Leslie, could it be that there's a strange cat hanging around
outdoors?

We're on the first floor so it would be a very strange cat although
Dunzi was probably near the window before she first started and she
often wants to try and get the birds that land on the windowsill so it
may misplaced aggression

Does "time out" from each other, shut in seprate rooms for
a few hours help? *(or make it worse!)

Not sure at the moment Dunzi is shut in the bathroom- Sarsi who seems
to be getting her confidence back is on the windowsill so relative
peace has ensued. Thing is we;ve never had anything like this as I
say we have play fights, which both parties take seriously, mostly
through it's posing "I can make my tail THIS fluffy" "So what I can
make my tail EVEN MORE fluffy" then a short skirmish which usually
ends with the winner washing the loser. As I say if they start to get
noisy a quick "Will you girls put a sock in it?!" from me or Dave
stops them in their tracks, They look rather sheepish......so we
don;t know if "time out" is going to help

There;s been some under the bathroom door sniffing by Sarsi which
didn't end up with Dunzi swiping at her nose but we're not sure
whether Sarsi was making sure she was in there. Problem now is whilst
I am inclined to let Dunzi out after all they're going to have to meet
sometime- they're 6 we can't have hopefully another 10-20 years of
keeping them seperate- and whilst not making a big thing of it keeping
an eye out and being ready to step in if Dunzi starts again and cart
her off to the bathroom- but Dave is worried about Sarsi getting hurt
she;s "Dawdie's girl" and he reciprocates her affection

Difference here, is that Boots hardly tolerates Biskit on a *good*
day. It
sounds like Dunzi and Sarsi do love each other.

I'm nor sure "love" is the word- yes they do sometimes sleep together
and they often wash each other and in storms they huddle together for
comfort and they have some areas of the flat that are mutual property
such as the bit by the (when open) bathroom door where the Sun comes
through and they eat together most of the time but generally they do
their own thing, if they pass, they'll stop and sniff each other and
maybe one will lick the other one a couple of times but for a lot of
the day they do their own thing

Old August 9th 09, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected][_2_]

Now this is weird- a friend of Dave's on the Fortean Times group just
emailed to complain that she's had to shut her 2 cats (1 boy, 1 girl-
not siblings but the same age and adopted together from a shelter a
few years back) in seperate rooms for vicious fighting this
morning....is it something in the air?

Sarsi is now almost fully back to her normal level of confidence- she
just got told off for attempting to pull the left hand speaker down,
which is pretty normal for her. Dunzi remains in the bathroom.

And one of them ****ed in my shoe......I think it must have been Sarsi
when she wanted to go to the box this morning but when we opened the
bathroom door, Dunzi dived out at her, sounds to me like she;'d held
on as long as she could and not being able to get to the box was the
last straw...it's more around my shoe but some of it splashed into
it. I'm really trying to be sympathetic, which is not easy when I
just put the shoe on without noticing

Old August 9th 09, 04:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_3_]

Default HELP Advice needed Update- fingers crossed

Sarsi ended up in the bathroom for attacking the speaker again- Dunzi
retired to her box in the bedroom and for an hour or so it was pretty
normal around here, yes Sarsi does spend a lot of time in the bathroom
for attacking the speaker.

When I went to the loo- Sarsi got out only to find Dunzi was at the
bathroom door waiting for her. They sniffed each other and walked off
together

At the moment they're in the kitchen doorway, there's been some
glaring and certainly Sarsi's being edgy around Dunzi and vice versa
but apart from one silent hiss from Sarsi they're not fighting-
through Dunzi is glaring at Sarsi in a way that has stopped Sarsi
walking past her. They're certainly not friendly yet but at least we
haven;t had to wade in

So purrs it all settles down

Old August 9th 09, 08:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley[_3_]

It's 8.00pm odd and they're more or less back to normal-still seem a
bit wary but they're ignoring each other most of the time and even
walking past each other without trouble

Seems we're back on track PHEW!

Old August 9th 09, 08:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Lesley" wrote in message
It's 8.00pm odd and they're more or less back to normal-still seem
bit wary but they're ignoring each other most of the time and even
walking past each other without trouble

Seems we're back on track PHEW!

Lesley

No more scary movies for them!

Jo

Old August 10th 09, 11:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Steve Touchstone[_3_]

On Sun, 9 Aug 2009 12:33:39 -0700, "Jofirey"
wrote:

"Lesley" wrote in message
It's 8.00pm odd and they're more or less back to normal-still seem
bit wary but they're ignoring each other most of the time and even
walking past each other without trouble

Seems we're back on track PHEW!

Lesley

No more scary movies for them!

Jo

I was thinking professional wrestling
--
Steve Touchstone
Little Bit, Sammy, Spotty, Princess, Furby