A strange and interesting cat news

Old February 26th 15, 11:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Default A strange and interesting cat news

Rusty wrote:

Just read it this morning.

http://www.theloop.ca/cat-set-to-und...nment-surgery/

At first I was, WHY?? In humans it's different since there's a whole
social dimension, where people need to be perceived by others as they
perceive themselves. When that doesn't match, it can be pretty disturbing
and damaging. But why would a cat care about that? If this cat were to
remain intact and was put in an environment with a bunch of other intact
cats, maybe that would cause some problems. But if all the cats in the
vicinity are neutered, then I don't think it matters what kind (or how
many kinds) of bits this cat has.

Then I read that this kitty has bowel and urinary problems due to being
intersexed, and that could cause life-threatening health problems down the
road. So at least this isn't some weirdo trying to project human issues
onto an animal with completely different social needs.

--
Joyce

"Bacteria, with a few more bells and whistles."
-- Bonnie Bassler, describing human beings
Old February 27th 15, 01:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 2/26/2015 7:31 PM, The Other Guy wrote:
On Thu, 26 Feb 2015 23:37:15 +0000 (UTC), Bastette
wrote:

Rusty wrote:

Just read it this morning.

http://www.theloop.ca/cat-set-to-und...nment-surgery/

At first I was, WHY??

Mis-leading URL, as it is NOT 'reassignment', it's a Vet
determining which of the existing sexes should be the
dominate one, AND since the cat WILL be spayed AND neutered,
it's totally a moot point in the end.

True.

Not that anyone could tell the difference between female
and male cats with a casual glance in the first place.

I'm reminded of a time when a co-worker adopted two kittens from another
co-worker whose cat just had a litter. One was an orange striped
kitten, the other was a white kitten. She named them Lucy and Ethel
(from the 'I Love Lucy' TV show). At about 12 weeks she took them to
the vet to be spayed. The vet informed her they were both male. She
had to rename them Ricky and Fred.

We were laughing about it at work when a guy chimed up, "You can't tell,
cats don't have... um, well, they don't have..." (I guess he was afraid
to say the word testicles.) We burst out laughing. Oh yes, they do!
They just don't make an appearance until they reach a certain age.

Jill
Old February 27th 15, 03:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mack A. Damia

wrote:

Rusty wrote:

[...]

My housekeeper brought Bubba from a neighbor in Valle de Guadalupe to
give Pookie a playmate. The neighbor thought Bubba was a male; hence;
the name I chose.

But the vet told us that Bubba was a female. But the name stuck
because she "IS" a Bubba - a "Valley Girl", fer sure. She stretches
out on the top tier of the cat tree to have her tummy tickled and
falls off.

Old February 27th 15, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

The Other Guy wrote:

Not that anyone could tell the difference between female
and male cats with a casual glance in the first place.

Unless you count a nursing mother cat! (Then it's pretty obvious.)
Old February 27th 15, 07:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

jmcquown wrote:
On 2/26/2015 7:31 PM, The Other Guy wrote:

I'm reminded of a time when a co-worker adopted two kittens from another
co-worker whose cat just had a litter. One was an orange striped
kitten, the other was a white kitten. She named them Lucy and Ethel
(from the 'I Love Lucy' TV show). At about 12 weeks she took them to
the vet to be spayed. The vet informed her they were both male. She
had to rename them Ricky and Fred.

We were laughing about it at work when a guy chimed up, "You can't tell,
cats don't have... um, well, they don't have..." (I guess he was afraid
to say the word testicles.) We burst out laughing. Oh yes, they do!
They just don't make an appearance until they reach a certain age.

Jill

And cats are more discreet about their anatomical differences than dogs
are. Other cats know so why should they care whether their humans do?