Becoming Friends--In Their Own Time

Old March 13th 05, 09:12 PM
Mary

Default Becoming Friends--In Their Own Time

Walked down to the kitchen for another cup of tea
and peeked into the living room while the water heated.
Cheeky was on the back of the couch, where I noticed her about an hour ago,
dozing. Buddha was just below her on the seat of the couch, wide awake and
looking at me.

Why is this special? Because they have lived in the same house (albeit
largely on different floors) since fall of 2001 and this is the first time I
have seen them lie on the couch--or anywhere--together. I did notice that
just after I stepped on Boo's toes while getting their breakfast ready this
morning, they sniffed noses. Normally what happens is Cheeks tries to sniff
Buddha, who wheels and slaps!

Buddha was seven years old when I brought Cheeks home from the shelter.
Since the house has three floors they each had their separate territory and
we never had to confine anyone. Over time there were little growly
skirmishes, but no real problems until one of us would carry one of them
into the other's territory. So we just left them alone. After more time
passed we would wonder where they were and walk in the kitchen on the middle
level and find them both there. Every morning they stand there and wait for
food. But they have never just hung out together until today. (There was one
time when Buddha began invading Cheeky's turf to be close to me--and started
lying on Cheeky's favorite bed. I felt bad for Cheeks and put her on the bed
next to Boo. This is the time I took their photo together on the bed. She
stayed but began licking her fur off and within a couple of weeks she was
bald on one side! So I encouraged Boo to go back to her own territory by
spending more time with her there. )

Maybe the episode last week in which it appears they chased and killed a
mouse together helped them bond!
I don't know, but I'm just so happy my beloved girls are becoming friends. I
wanted to share this--and the message that patience and gentleness works
wonders in cat introductions.

Old March 14th 05, 04:15 AM
Marina

Mary wrote:

Maybe the episode last week in which it appears they chased and killed a
mouse together helped them bond!
I don't know, but I'm just so happy my beloved girls are becoming friends. I
wanted to share this--and the message that patience and gentleness works
wonders in cat introductions.

Very nice and heartwarming story. They'll be fast friends yet!

--
Marina, Frank and Nikki
Old March 14th 05, 02:20 PM
CatNipped

"Mary" wrote in message
news:1110748355.c577e20cd27d7230ee3ed9143a053947@t eranews...
[...]

Awwww! Hopefully, with time, you'll find them snuggled up together cleaning
each other's face!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old March 14th 05, 05:32 PM
Katz

Mary wrote:

Aww. That's nice. I've never had cats that were friends. Bonnie & Clyde
were smart enough to curl up together in cold weather, but otherwise
ignored each other, or C beat B up. Now, Daisy & Moxie don't get along,
& I doubt I'll ever get a picture of them together. ( I've had them
for almost 8 years.

Glad yours are gradually geting there.

Katz

Old March 14th 05, 06:46 PM
Mary

"Marina" wrote in message
Mary wrote:
I don't know, but I'm just so happy my beloved girls are becoming

friends. I
wanted to share this--and the message that patience and gentleness works
wonders in cat introductions.

Very nice and heartwarming story. They'll be fast friends yet!

Thank you, Marina, I hope so!

Old March 14th 05, 08:14 PM
Mary

"Katz" wrote in message
ups.com...
Mary wrote:

Aww. That's nice. I've never had cats that were friends. Bonnie & Clyde
were smart enough to curl up together in cold weather, but otherwise
ignored each other, or C beat B up. Now, Daisy & Moxie don't get along,
& I doubt I'll ever get a picture of them together. ( I've had them
for almost 8 years.

Glad yours are gradually geting there.

Thank you. It is really lovely to see two creatures you adore
begin to like one another. Feline and otherwise! I think the angel
Cheeky, who seems to have no temper and infinite friendliness,
is key to them becoming buddies. Buddha is very curmudgeonly!
It was, after all, her turf to begin with. But every time she has
swatted at or otherwise rebuffed Cheeky, Cheeks just darts
away and then looks back like "Whoa! what was THAT all
about?" She never seems to take it personally. I could learn
from her in my own interactions with people! Cheeks the cat
that would be a duck. It all just rolls off her back.

Old March 14th 05, 08:17 PM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote

Awwww! Hopefully, with time, you'll find them snuggled up together

cleaning
each other's face!

Oh, I would love that!!