OT - Stitchin' Stuff

Old July 26th 06, 11:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Default OT - Stitchin' Stuff

Jo Firey wrote:

My sister finally found an outlet for her obsessive crocheting. She loves
making afghans, but has made more for the family than we can use or store
for the next century. Especially since she inherited the "vice" from my
mother who had us all pretty well supplied.

Now she makes afghans for crime and accident victims, particularly children.
Police will often give kids who have been traumatized a teddy bear or
blanket or quilt to hang onto to soothe them. Something relatively small
and personal that they can keep.

Jo

That's neat! Crocheting is so beautiful and versatile. There's a lady
who crocheted these beautiful small blankets for the animals. I bet she
was like your sister and just looking for an outlet. Anyway, I was
amazed at how soft they were. Crocheted things used to be scratchy and
stiff. Thread must have changed. I can see how a young accident victim
would *love*one of those afghans to cuddle.

Sherry

Old July 27th 06, 06:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Singh

There is also a charity group called Project Linus or The Linus Project, where
volunteers make security blankets to give to kids in cancer or burn treatment or
somewhere like the Shriners Hospitals where they do rehab. (God bless those guys
who ride the funny cars in all the parades!) I'll check them out too; God knows
I have enough yarn in here to cover Cleveland.

Blessed be,
Baha

Jo Firey wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...

Singh wrote:
Cool deal! Thanks. I really need something to keep myself going until
work rolls in.
I've become a compulsive yarn freak. I'm now worse than the cats. At
least they do
nice normal things like try to steal food.

Blessed be,
Baha

Elise wrote:

Singh wrote:
Mmmmm...fiber!

Louie has been delightfully supportive of my growing yarn habit. He
figures it
keeps me off the streets and out of the mall where I could really do
some
damage.

My friend took me to an exotic fiber shop way out in East Jahunga,
where you
expect to find alpaca grazing, not sitting on a shelf at ten bucks an
ounce. I
went on a fit. I found a pattern for a cool felted purse and bought
some of the
gaudiest yarn I could find. I'll be spending my unemployment knitting
like a
madwoman.And as it was during a company anniversary sale, I got it
all for a
third off!

Blessed be,
Baha

Oh, if it makes you happy, GO for it. It's a relatively cheap habit,
and it can calm you, distract you, or just give you time to think.

Sherry

Old July 27th 06, 06:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Singh

We have a shelter around here that was selling these little cuddle-up pads
for cats, they were about the size of a placemat and crocheted with two
strands of nice chunky yarn together; then they were sprayed with a catnip
infusion. We had one that went over nicely, and now that I've just thought
about it I think I'll try it just to make my spoiled babies happy.

Blessed be,
Baha

That's neat! Crocheting is so beautiful and versatile. There's a lady
who crocheted these beautiful small blankets for the animals.

Which animals do you mean? Was there a drive for crocheted blankets?

I ask because I remember several years ago that an animal shelter in
Australia, I think, was calling for knitted and/or crocheted items for
homeless dogs and cats. I'm probably remembering it all wrong, but you
get the idea. It was a specific project, so I was wondering if there's
one you know about.

Joyce