Indoor cats

Old August 18th 05, 01:23 AM
Victor Martinez

shortfuse wrote:
I know just to be on the safe side, I have my cats innoculated for all,
since I have a habit of feeding some homeless cats on/off and dont want to
take chances.

http://www.aafponline.org/resources/...es/vaccine.pdf

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old August 18th 05, 01:52 AM
Cheryl

While looking for the link for "leash-laws" for pets, including cats,
in this area I found this:

http://www.xmission.com/~emailbox/loonylaws.htm

My favorite:
"Cats in International Falls, Minnesota, are not allowed to chase
dogs up telephone poles."

--
Cheryl

"The clever cat eats cheese and breathes down rat holes with baited
breath."
- W.C. Fields
Old August 18th 05, 03:25 AM
Dr.Carla,DVM

My vet agrees that the time can be extended significantly for indoor-only
cats, especially those that have previously had a series of rabies shots.
However, he still stresses distemper shots because it is airborne. Do you
agree?

In 2000 the AAFP (American Association of Feline Practitioners) recommended
that "following the initial series of vaccinations and revaccination 1 year
later, cats should be vaccinated no more frequently than once every 3
years".
2 years ago I spoke with the AAFP representative at a meeting and he didn't
recommend vaccinating strict indoor only cats (don't even go out on the
porch) due to VASTS. I haven't had any of my cats vaccinated since then.
But, that's just what I decided to do, and it doesn't mean you shouldn't
follow your or your own vet's instincts either.

Old August 18th 05, 08:59 AM
John Doe

troll

From: mlabofski yahoo.co.uk
Newsgroups: alt.pets.cats,rec.pets.cats.health+behav,rec.pets. cats.anecdotes
Subject: Indoor cats
Date: 17 Aug 2005 11:07:05 -0700

First let me say I'm not being antagonistic, I'm just interested in the
(apparent) culture difference between the US & the UK as regards our
feline friends.

With regard to letting cats out: All the cats I know go outside, they
(usually) learn their way back home from their local neighbourhood,
they don't go too far but suss out gardens, wildlife, other cats and
people, and hopefully realise that traffic isn't for playing with.
There's not too many birds in London and no-one seems to care about the
pigeon population anyway. Some get lost, some get hit by traffic (mine
for example isn't allowed out the front to the road, only the back
garden where he doesn't seem to want to climb the fence to escape from
but if he did I'd let him).

It seems natural for a cat to want to venture outside, and to me it's
cruel to keep them inside (unless they're not interested).

It seems that in the US people are much more likely to force cats to
stay indoors, or take them out on a leash (something I've NEVER heard
of over here and to be honest I think people would laugh over here if
they saw a cat on a lead, but fair play for succeeding in training a
cat to do it), or build these enclosure thingies for them, to protect
the wildlife, also I've never seen one over here.

It's interesting, do you think it's a cultural thing? How long have
people in the US been doing these things? Perhaps it's not the general
population, just people in cat groups As I say, I wasn't saying
that either way is right, it's just interesting how people do things
differently.

Marcia
Lord Otis's slave and minder

Old August 18th 05, 09:48 AM
Phil P.

wrote in message
oups.com...

It seems natural for a cat to want to venture outside, and to me it's
cruel to keep them inside (unless they're not interested).

Its a cultural thing. Most (60%) cat owners in the U.S. feel that its
cruel to expose cats to the stress and dangers outside of a safe home. An
outdoor cat lives a more stressful life than an indoor cat.

If you know a little about cats, and if you're sensitive to your cat's
needs, you can provide your cat with a rich, happy, healthy, and safe life
indoors.

Phil

Old August 18th 05, 10:01 AM
Phil P.

My vet agrees that the time can be extended significantly for indoor-only
cats, especially those that have previously had a series of rabies shots.
However, he still stresses distemper shots because it is airborne. Do you
agree?

Parvovirus (distemper) is not an airborne virus but it can remain viable and
infectious in the environment for 1 year. The parvovirus vaccine is
extremely effective and confers *solid* protection for at least 8 years if
not for life. Parvovirus (panleukopenia) is primarily a disease of kittens-
adults are very rarely infected, and when they are, its almost invariably
subclinical.

Phil

Old August 18th 05, 11:58 AM
Ivor Jones

"Dr.Carla,DVM" wrote in
message news:1PPMe.35682$084.17489@attbi_s22
Oh and before I get off my soap box, I forgot, indoor
only cats don't need vaccinations unless they spend time
at kennels, etc. Vaccinations in cats have been shown to cause VASTS
(vaccine associated soft tissue sarcomas) or tumors. Its
not clear yet which part of the vaccines are causing this
terrible outcome. There is a new safer rabies shot for cats, ask your
vet
about it next time you go for vaccinations.

One of the great advantages of living in the UK is we don't have rabies.
We also don't have coyotes and other predators that seem to roam all over
the USA (I've never seen a coyote in San Francisco, but I'm willing to
accept they may be there..!) so our cats have a far less stressful outdoor
life.

For my part, if I were unable to allow a cat outdoors through risk of
predators or any other reason, I simply wouldn't have a cat. I would not
move into accommodation where a cat was not permitted. If I *were* forced
to live somewhere where indoor only cats were permitted, I would make sure
to choose one from a rescue shelter that was *known* to be content with
such a life. I would also give priority under those circumstances to a cat
with FIV, which I would be reluctant to allow out anyway in case an
encounter with another cat passed on the infection.

I have never heard of this VASTS you mention, could you give a site with
more information, please..?

Ivor

Old August 18th 05, 12:02 PM
Ivor Jones

"223rem" wrote in message
America is obsessed with safety. For example, everything
has to be 'safe for the children'. Political correctness
is another national obsession. Of course, the fact
is that we are a violent, inhumane society.

No, America is obsessed with ligitation, or fear of litigation. Every time
someone so much as sneezes out of place, they're slapped with a lawsuit.
Well that's how it appears to us over here in the UK anyway.

It's like speed limits, they say you have to keep your speed below 30mph
in case you hit a child. What the hell is the child doing in the middle of
the road in the first place..? Don't their parents educate them..?

Ivor

Old August 18th 05, 02:46 PM

Wow, sounds like a nightmare, and I thought East London was dangerous
LOL! As I say, my cat only goes in my back garden, but my friends 5
cats are out most of the time, have had all their shots, never run into
stray dogs (don't think they let dogs out on their own round here), and
would go crazy if they were in all the time. They don't go far away,
but nobody seems to mind them visiting their gardens, no-one ever
complains. They have flea collars, and never get mites or ticks here.
There is no way they could keep them inside, and wouldn't want to
restrict them like that, and they come to no harm.

Old August 18th 05, 02:48 PM

I do agree about the cars, cats (and dogs) do get killed by them, and
then there's always stories (urban myths possibly?) about people
stealing cats for labs or fur. I never understood about all the US
wildlife before, and now that side of it definately makes sense, I
guess if they're happy being indoors that's fine. I was surprised that
when I gave Otis his freedom (and a rather old age) he never went for
it and is happy to sunbathe in the back garden without attempting to
climb the fences.