Imposing a bit

Old July 4th 08, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

Default Imposing a bit

Purrs for your clowder, and for you.

--

Joy

If you don't have a sense of humor you probably don't have any sense at all.

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote in message
I know that everyone is nearly purred out, but could you spare a few
for a couple of my boys? I've been begging the husband for years to
get rid of the mini blinds in the small second bedroom. He just blew
me off.

Well, this morning (at 6:15 am no less), he found out why I didn't
want the mini blinds. Our cats (Smeagol and Jebediah mostly), enjoy
getting into the window (the storm window is off, so they sit right at
the louver windows) and watching the outside. This morning, Smeagol
was getting his morning sun. I suspect that husband yelled at him,
though he says not. At any rate, something startled Smeagol (my 20+
pounder), and when he went to jump down, he got his left hind foot
caught in the strings, and twisted up.

Apparently, the other cats thought it was "Piñata Smeagol", all of
them except Marley (his littermate) and Smokie (who's just a sweetie
girlcat), came in and started smacking and biting him. Smeagol never
fights, he is just a sweet lover boycat. At any rate, he was
hollering and crying, and biting and scratching anyone who got close
enough (DH's foot is messed up, and he bit a huge double crescent in
my right thumb). I grabbed scissors and cut the string about 3 inches
away from where he was hung up. He got free. Probably not trapped
more than 30 seconds, but lord it seemed an hour.

Anyway, Jeb is now terrified (Smeagol bit his leg) and won't let me
clean his foot, Smeagol is being shy (not at all his normal self), and
I can't find Marley (he's my fraidy cat) though I know he's in the
house somewhere, he is more afraid of the big out than anything else.

If I can impose, could I have some calming purrs for the household?
Smeagol ate a bit of Fancy Feast crunchies. Jeb however, won't eat
anything (and he's the 'garbage gut') yet. I'd like the masters (both
mistresses seem fine) to settle a bit, so I can take a close look at
everyone, and make sure that they are alright.

Smokie Darling (Annie)

PS DH wants to buy more mini-blinds, I said no. He said that they'll
stop getting up there, and I said, "What happens if this occurs when
we are out? How will your mother cope with that? She can't pick
Smeagol up, he'd have torn her to ribbons, not to mention, he'd have
stayed hung up for hours before she ever realized something was wrong,
she doesn't come over until dinner time, and probably lost that
foot."

No more mini-blinds, EVER. My final decision on *that*,
thankyouverymuch!

Old July 4th 08, 08:21 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kylatte =^. .^=`

"Smokie Darling (Annie)"
On Jul 4, 12:11 pm, "tanadashoes" :
"Smokie Darling (Annie)"

I know that everyone is nearly purred out, but could you spare a few
for a couple of my boys? I've been begging the husband for years to
get rid of the mini blinds in the small second bedroom. He just blew
me off.

OH NO!!! Purrs for you all to feel better and get over the trauma soon,
but
not so soon that your hubby get mini blinds again. Maybe if you pointed
out
that it could have been Smeagol's head. Poor kid. Poor Jeb. Take care of
you all and I hope no one gets infected.

Pam S.

Hubby is very concerned... about the bite on my thumb. It's pretty
deep. I think it will be fine, it just looks icky. Cleaned out very
well, and used and antibiotic ointment the doc gave me a bit ago for
infected rheumatoid nodules. It looks awful though.

I think he is convinced about the blinds. Once I mentioned that about
his mom only coming by in the afternoon/early evening. He thought
about it, thought about his poor mom trying to help Smeag. Poor
baby. He's (Smeagol, not hubby) currently sleeping under an end table
(sorta hidden, but I know where he is).

Can't find Jeb, he must have found a fantastic hiding place, I guess a
bit more 'relaxation' until I try to clean his owwie for him. I saw
Marley, but he's hidden in a new 'good spot'.

Pandora (the meanie girlcat) has a nick beside her nose (teach her to
try and pick on a scared Smeag), cleaned it out and she's fine. No
one else seems to have any problems (thank Bast).

Thanks for the purrs. They seem to be working.

SD (Annie)

PURRS still coming from us for all to be well for you and yours
and no, please know, you're NOT imposing in the least.
Love
Kyla and Clowder

Old July 4th 08, 08:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

On Jul 4, 11:44 am, "John F. Eldredge" wrote:
On Fri, 04 Jul 2008 08:06:31 -0700, Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:

Smokie Darling (Annie)

PS DH wants to buy more mini-blinds, I said no. He said that
they'll
stop getting up there, and I said, "What happens if this occurs
when we
are out? How will your mother cope with that? She can't pick
Smeagol
up, he'd have torn her to ribbons, not to mention, he'd have
stayed hung
up for hours before she ever realized something was wrong, she
doesn't
come over until dinner time, and probably lost that foot."

No more mini-blinds, EVER. My final decision on *that*,
thankyouverymuch!

You may want to consider vertical blinds, in which the panels hang
vertically from a track, and are not attached to anything at the
bottom
end. This means that there aren't any cords for the cats to get
tangled
up with.

Hmm, I'll have to see what he thinks of those. That might be
perfect. I'd only seen verticals with the chains between the bottoms
of the slats. Thanks for the suggestion, something that would work
for both of us, and we'd both be pretty happy about it.

They usually only have chains at the bottom for the nicer very long
blinds that are made of fabric. The shorter once and the PVC ones
seem to stay straight and even from their own weight.

I keep our mini blind cords tied up or shortened to where they are
safer, but I really hate the things.

I want to get shades for the bedrooms one of these days. Ones where
you can see out but not in.

Jo

Old July 4th 08, 09:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Smokie Darling (Annie) wrote:
I know that everyone is nearly purred out, but could you spare a few
for a couple of my boys? I've been begging the husband for years to
get rid of the mini blinds in the small second bedroom. He just blew
me off.

Well, this morning (at 6:15 am no less), he found out why I didn't
want the mini blinds. Our cats (Smeagol and Jebediah mostly), enjoy
getting into the window (the storm window is off, so they sit right at
the louver windows) and watching the outside. This morning, Smeagol
was getting his morning sun. I suspect that husband yelled at him,
though he says not. At any rate, something startled Smeagol (my 20+
pounder), and when he went to jump down, he got his left hind foot
caught in the strings, and twisted up.

snip

Mega purrs on the way. I'm sure the cats will calm down in a few days. And
you're *not* imposing at all.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 4th 08, 11:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote:

I know that everyone is nearly purred out, but could you spare a few
for a couple of my boys? I've been begging the husband for years to
get rid of the mini blinds in the small second bedroom. He just blew
me off.

Well, this morning (at 6:15 am no less), he found out why I didn't
want the mini blinds. Our cats (Smeagol and Jebediah mostly), enjoy
getting into the window (the storm window is off, so they sit right at
the louver windows) and watching the outside. This morning, Smeagol
was getting his morning sun. I suspect that husband yelled at him,
though he says not. At any rate, something startled Smeagol (my 20+
pounder), and when he went to jump down, he got his left hind foot
caught in the strings, and twisted up.

Apparently, the other cats thought it was "Pi?ata Smeagol", all of
them except Marley (his littermate) and Smokie (who's just a sweetie
girlcat), came in and started smacking and biting him. Smeagol never
fights, he is just a sweet lover boycat. At any rate, he was
hollering and crying, and biting and scratching anyone who got close
enough (DH's foot is messed up, and he bit a huge double crescent in
my right thumb). I grabbed scissors and cut the string about 3 inches
away from where he was hung up. He got free. Probably not trapped
more than 30 seconds, but lord it seemed an hour.

Oh, the poor boy!! I'm glad it was only 30 seconds, and that you were
there to get him out of that. (Although not without cost, obviously -
and you really should keep an eye on that bite, make sure it doesn't
get infected. If it does, you have to go to a doctor asap!) I am in
total agreement with you about the mini blinds. They sound like a
danger with your gang! I liked the vertical blind suggestion.

Purrs for everyone to calm down and get their various wounds taken
care of - that goes for you, too.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^
Old July 4th 08, 11:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Jul 4, 1:35*pm, "Jofirey" wrote:
[...]

He got hung up on the lower portion of the mini blinds (the portion
under the last blind and the bottom 'bar' of the mini-blinds?).
They've never gotten gotten hung up in the 'tie cord', now they'll
never get hung up on the blinds again either sigh. They were closed
because that window is "rightthere" with the neighbor, so the blinds
are always down (high window though). The cats had broken the edges
off on the right side, and that's how they got into the window.

I want to get shades for the bedrooms one of these days. *Ones where
you can see out but not in.

I've thought about those, but the cats aren't wild about drapes/
curtains either. Maybe I can get my friend to make some 'warm window'
coverings for that room... Granted, no one is going in the second
bedroom right now either.

Old July 4th 08, 11:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Fri, 4 Jul 2008 08:06:31 -0700 (PDT), "Smokie Darling (Annie)"
wrote:

[...]

Poor kitty! Many purrs for everyone to feel better asap...

I cat-proofed our blinds a few years ago... just pull the blinds to
the position you want them in, slide the toggle up the string and tie
a knot in it at the length you want them to be (high enough that YOU
can reach it but a toddler/cat can't...) then cut the string off at
the right place and voila - one cat-safe blind. I also tied the cords
together at regular intervals to make them extra-safe, which has the
bonus that the blind stays level no matter what you do to it.
Old July 4th 08, 11:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Smokie Darling (Annie)

On Jul 4, 4:18*pm, wrote:
"Smokie Darling (Annie)" wrote:

[...]

Yep, I'm immuno-suppressed, so I have to be very careful. Noticed
that I forgot to write I cleaned out the cut with peroxide pre and
post shower, no bubbles after the shower, so that was good. Then I
used the antibiotic ointment.

I am in
total agreement with you about the mini blinds. They sound like a
danger with your gang! I liked the vertical blind suggestion.

Purrs for everyone to calm down and get their various wounds taken
care of - that goes for you, too.

Many thanks. Jeb is out now, but limping noticeably. Going to need
to clean his owwie, but I may wait until after dinner, don't want him
off his chow, though he could lose a pound or so, just not right this
second, and not this way.

Old July 5th 08, 12:50 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Purrs and prayers are like hugs and smiles, give one away and more come in
their place. There are always plenty to go around. Hope all gets settled.

Old July 5th 08, 01:49 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ann

Calming purrs on the way.

--
Ann