OT - Recognize These Symptoms?

Old July 18th 08, 10:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Yowie

Default OT - Recognize These Symptoms?

Enfilade wrote:
I'm going to the doctor tomorrow or the day after (I'm working three
insane shifts: 12 pm to 8 pm, 11 pm to 6:30 am, and 7:15 to 1 pm -
close to 24 hours straight of awake working.)

I can't find any info on the net: I don't even know what to search
for. Anyone here have an idea?

--Constant misperception: mistaking one thing for another, or one
word for another (in extreme cases, seeing things that aren't there,
or not seeing things that are there) It feels like someone is
"Switching things around" behind your back, though you know they
aren't.

--Suddenly getting something familiar wrong--like suddenly mixing up
your phone number - and not being able to tell whether the number
you've given is right or wrong

--Triple-checking things and still making lots of errors

--Leaving stove burners on, taps going, etc. Double checking them and
thinking they are off--they're not--you only find out when 1. you
leave and come back, 2. you get another cue like the smell of a stove
burner or notice the sound of running water 3 somone else points it
out

--Mixing up words: like saying "now" instead of "new", "bucket"
instead of "basket" (or, in extreme cases, "cup" instead of basket -
ie an object to hold things and letting the listener guess the correct
word from that)

--Getting counts wrong

--Not being able to perceive errors until another person shows them to
you - ie you count two, double-count two, triple-count two, and only
when someone comes along to point out that there are four, can you
perceive that there are four, and never have been two.

--Having to write down basic information - like your phone number, bus
number, name of your employer, address - and having to check it before
giving it out, even years later (ie repetition does not help you
remember)

--in the end, being never quite sure what is real or what
isn't....it's all a guess, and you regularly guess wrong.

Whilst its probably something simple, it could also be signs of something
quite serious. Please make sure you tell your doctor all these symptoms.

Can't imagine the lack of sleep could help, though.

Yowie

Old July 18th 08, 10:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Enfilade

I really appreciate everyone's answers.

Medication: I have been on asthma medication for the past year. It
has done a lot of wonderful things for me including removing chest
pain, reducing my required sleep from 10-14 hours a night to 8-10,
allowing me to walk at the same pace as my friends, etc. Other that
that and birth control, no.

Menopause: gods, at 30?? (and it's not that I can't recognize
colours, more that I can't tell for "sure" if a stop light is "on" or
not. Yeah, I can guess with 95%-98% accuracy, but it feels bad
"guessing" and running reds if I guess wrong. That only happened
twice, but it scared me. This is why I only drive short distances,
when I'm very well rested and feel I can focus 100% on driving, in low
traffic times, daylight, and good weather only.)

Dreaming: I dream if left alone to sleep as much as I naturally want
to sleep. I have no problem sleeping 8 am to 3 pm and have awesome
dreams (PROVIDED the phone or something else doesn't wake me up). I
dream the most in the last hour or two before waking on my own. If I
am woken up by an alarm clock, phone, or person, then if I dream, I
don't remember it.

Body: Not that I noticed other than my left hand, which lost feeling/
grip 4 years ago, was mostly dead for about 7 months, and continues to
occasionally tingle, spasm, go dead for a minute, or get pins-and-
needles, particularly if I bend my arm or put any pressure on the
elbow.

Job: I'm really torn here. I love the hotel, but it's part time
minimum wage. My clinic job is twice the hours for over triple the
pay. I don't know if I can make a go of it on 120 dollars a
week...certainly not without making DP pay all the rent, all the car
costs, and forgoing any luxury purchases beyond groceries, cat litter,
etc. I've been looking for a fulltime job for over five months. As
for the clinic, they had several people not work out, I was a last
minute addition from a hiring agency, hence why I only have 3 days of
training before the prior person leaves on mat leave (she's about
ready to pop!) and they were really hard up. I don't know if the
agency will place me again if I back out of this. I also don't want
to say "this isn't working" after 2 days, . I want to give it at
least a week, but you are right--someone is better than no one and if
I feel I can't do it long term, I will at least cover until they find
someone new.

Sharon: I hope it's that easy.

Long term: First, DP blamed the stress of the crummy law job. Then,
when I was out of work, not only did i have less stress, but losing
things around the house (lately I'm losing drinks (non alcoholic--very
rarely have alcohol)...DP comes home to find 3 or 4 mugs around the
house as I forget I have a drink, can't find a drink, etc and get
another one, leading to a houseful of half consumed mugs of juice,
pop, etc), mixing up my toys in my toy collection or forgetting their
names, thinking something's a bill when it's really a receipt, etc--a
little strange but not hurting anyone, right? Not till the stove
incident. Now, suddenly, I'm faced with this new job, and it matters
if I don't know the difference between a credit and debit card, or mix
up people's appointment books or lose files. And unlike my last job
in Halifax...another law job where I did very well....I don't have a
lawyer always over my shoulder (basically he couldn't use a computer,
and would doublecheck everything as I did it because he was hanging
around behind me telling me what he wanted done word-for-word, so we
fixed both our problems that way.) I think myself and Stephen's
working relationship, while great for both of us, was sort of
"compensating" for any perception issues I had, and think I likely did
have, way back in early 2007 already.

--Fil

Old July 18th 08, 10:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Enfilade wrote:
[...]

{{{{{{{{{{{{ Fil }}}}}}}}}}}} Lots of purrs that what ever is wrong can be
easily treated, this is very worrying.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old July 18th 08, 11:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tish

On Jul 18, 7:21 pm, Enfilade wrote:
I really appreciate everyone's answers.

Medication: I have been on asthma medication for the past year. It
has done a lot of wonderful things for me including removing chest
pain, reducing my required sleep from 10-14 hours a night to 8-10,
allowing me to walk at the same pace as my friends, etc. Other that
that and birth control, no.

Caveat: I am not a doctor. I have never worked in the medical field.
I know very little about medicine.
Having said that: This rings alarm bells for me. I have read that
asthma medicine often impacts on blood pressure. Ask your DP to
measure your blood pressure - it may be too low. My grandfather had
symptoms like this when his blood pressure dropped.

If it is not this and obviously not sleep deprivation then it does
sound as though it could be very serious. Am so glad you're seeing
your doctor soon.

Tish and cats who are purring for an easily-fixed problem and a total
reversal of the symptoms.
Old July 18th 08, 12:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Enfilade wrote:
[...]

I'm glad you're going to see a doctor because it could be a sign of a
clogged artery in your neck, a mini-stroke or something even more serious.
It *can* happen at 30!

Keep us posted and we're all purring for a good outcome.

{{{{{{{{{{ Fil }}}}}}}}}

kili

Old July 18th 08, 12:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Mishi[_2_]

Tish wrote:
[...]

Hi Fil,

Are you a vegetarian? Sometimes vegetarians have a problem with vitamin
B-12, which when too low can cause memory problems. Here is one link to
an article about B-12 deficiency:

http://www.health.harvard.edu/press_...deficiency.htm
and another site:
http://www.yourhealthbase.com/vitamin_B12.html

Just something to think about.

Hope you feel better soon!
Mishi
Old July 18th 08, 01:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"Enfilade" wrote in message
[...]

Dear Fil,

See a doctor, please. Your symptoms could have *dozens* of causes, like
dehydration, hypoglycemia, thyroid problems, depression, stress, sleep
deprivation, perimenopause, and Ceiling Cat knows what else.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old July 18th 08, 01:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Charleen Welton

Many caring loving purrs and prayers that whatever the problem is can be
fixed and you feel well again soon.
Charleen and the purrers.

Old July 18th 08, 03:52 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kajikit[_2_]

On Thu, 17 Jul 2008 23:49:48 -0700 (PDT), Enfilade
wrote:

I love working at the hotel. I'm basically a security guard there,
with a side of customer service. I watch security cams, lock/unlock
doors, and when asked, serve coffee or forward phone calls. That's
about it...I usually "do" about 1 or 2 things a night, the rest of the
time I'm staying up watching the building and wandering around,
drinking tea and reading. Best job ever.

I wonder if I just can't handle the stress of an office job any more?
Gods, I used to be a /pilot/ and I handled THAT okay...I don't know
what went "wrong" if that's the case.

I am fine in typing. You may notice it as an odd thing talking to
me. You will be frustrated as hell watching me try to use numbers or
remember things I have heard, because it doesn't "stick".

You don't HAVE to take the new job just because they hired you... you
are always free to tell them that it's not going to work out for you
for whatever reason you care to give (or no reason at all, since you
haven't even started yet!) And you haven't quit the old one yet...
given your difficulties it sounds like it was the ideal job for you
right now, and if I was you I'd keep it, especially since you say you
like doing it!

The only person I know who has the difficulties you are describing has
MS but she also has tons of physical symptoms to go along with it...
she loses words and forgets things all the time but when you read her
writing she sounds fine. I'm very glad you're going to go to the
doctor about it - it sounds like you should get thoroughly checked out
ASAP.
Old July 18th 08, 11:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Sharon & Smudgie wrote:

My gran had very similar symptoms to these. I thought she was heading
for/had a minor stroke. Called out doctor and he diagnosed a urine
infection. A course of anti biotics and she was as right as rain.

Is this a factor with young people, though?

--
Joyce ^..^