Air purifier for eliminating odors

Old January 4th 05, 04:21 PM
Dominic Olivastro

Default Air purifier for eliminating odors

I'm a first time cat owner, and I'm not used to the smell of the food,
litter, and the stuff they dump in the litter. Can anyone recommend an
air-purifier that eliminated odors? Is hepa better than electrostatic, etc?

Dom

Old January 5th 05, 06:40 AM
sethra

Dominic Olivastro wrote in
ervers.com:

I'm a first time cat owner, and I'm not used to the smell of the food,
litter, and the stuff they dump in the litter. Can anyone recommend
an air-purifier that eliminated odors? Is hepa better than
electrostatic, etc?

Yes, hepa's better. The air's gotta move to be filtered, and those
electrostatic ones don't move much air at all, plus every brand of
electrostatic I've tested sounds like a TV tuned to a dead channel. They
may be VERY quiet in the store, but once they start sucking in cat hair
into the wires, it's another story. YMMV with the noise, but you can find
a display model and test with your hand the comparative amount of air
moved by the electrostatics and regular fan-driven air filters.

Really, any fan-based hepa filter will do, just pick one based on the
size of the room it's rated for. However, to get a *quiet* one, you're
going to have to fork over some cash.

I recommend finding a store with display models to test or asking to open
one up and listen to how loud it is before you purchase. Most *are*
louder than regular fans.

Of course, the expense of replacement hepa filters is something to
consider also -- but my last one lasted 2.5 years before the replacement
indicator lit up.

Also, if the smell of the litterbox is really bad, you may need to clean
more often or find another brand of litter -- they're NOT all the same
quality in that regard.

HTH,
--
~sethra
Old January 5th 05, 04:00 PM
Dominic Olivastro

Thanks for the info, sethra. You mentioned litter. I clean it at least 3
times a day -- once in the AM before I go to work, once when I get back, and
I check before going to bed. I use Arm and Hammer. Can you recommend a
brand?

Dom

--
Dominic Olivastro
CHI Research, Inc

web: http://www.ChiResearch.com
fax: 1-856-546-9633
voice: 1-856-546-0600 (ext 224)
email:
"sethra" wrote in message
Dominic Olivastro wrote in
ervers.com:

Old January 5th 05, 04:14 PM
Cindy via CatKB.com

I used Tidy cats for multiple cats even though I only have one cat, the smell is hardley even there even if I forget to scoop

Old January 6th 05, 12:08 AM
sethra

Dominic Olivastro wrote in
rvers.com:

Thanks for the info, sethra. You mentioned litter. I clean it at
least 3 times a day -- once in the AM before I go to work, once when I
get back, and I check before going to bed. I use Arm and Hammer. Can
you recommend a brand?

Four cats, two litterboxes, and Scoop Away with Crystals works well for
us. Purple box, should be available just about everywhere, and not too
expensive.

We're lucky though, as our critters don't seem to be too picky about
their litter. We tried several and went with the Scoop Away. Some cats
are choosy -- we've had friends whose cats won't use the Scoop Away. It
*does* have an odor of its own (the crystals) but it's minor (to a human
nose, probably not to a feline), and better than cat mess and barely
noticable with an air filter running (though the filter is mainly for
dander & hair).

Alternatively, you can test some "premium" litters recommended on this
site:
http://cats.about.com/cs/litterbox/t...miumlitter.htm

--
~sethra

Old January 7th 05, 11:10 PM
mlbriggs

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 10:21:14 -0500, Dominic Olivastro wrote:

I'm a first time cat owner, and I'm not used to the smell of the food,
litter, and the stuff they dump in the litter. Can anyone recommend an
air-purifier that eliminated odors? Is hepa better than electrostatic, etc?

Dom

Honeywell has a combination of the two. Good quality food has less odor
than cheap.. There are good quality litters that don't have heavy odor.
If your cat is fed right and groomed regularly, it should not smell badly/
Best wishes. MLB
Old January 7th 05, 11:20 PM
TCS

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 23:40:11 -0600, sethra wrote:
Dominic Olivastro wrote in
servers.com:

I'm a first time cat owner, and I'm not used to the smell of the food,
litter, and the stuff they dump in the litter. Can anyone recommend
an air-purifier that eliminated odors? Is hepa better than
electrostatic, etc?

Yes, hepa's better. The air's gotta move to be filtered, and those
electrostatic ones don't move much air at all, plus every brand of

The electrostatic's don't move any air at all. They fill the room with
some ozone and that can kill some bacteria and mask some odors.
Electrostatic's work well when combined with a fan driven purifier. The
ionic breeze is a complete scam.

It's a good idea to buy enough filters to be supplied for a few years. It's
not uncommon to try to buy a filter a couple of years later and discover
that they are no longer available.
Old January 13th 05, 02:22 AM

Check out the great air purifiers at http://www.BreahteMoreEasily.com
and it will solve all of your problems and arguments!