is my cat in heat?

Old February 28th 05, 04:32 AM
Mr. Jim McManus

Default is my cat in heat?

jacquie0 wrote:
Mr. Jim McManus wrote:
Have anyone else heard of this whole q-tip "fix" before? I couldn't
believe her vet actually instructed her to do that when she first

told me
about it but I must admit that it seemed to help a little. Either

way it
was a pretty crazy thing to watch; I doubt I'll forget it anytime

soon.

BTW both kittens were spayed shortly thereafter.

Personally, I would tell your friend to see another vet, and to tell

the
one that told her this to shove it up his/her "cooter hole"!!! I

would
never trust that vet again. IMAGINE!!!
I don't believe that any responsible vet would ever tell a person to

use
such a method, but instead, would tell them to make an appointment
immediately for spaying. If in fact your friend did do this to their
cats, they are a cruel person indeed. I feel sorry for those two
precious girls, they deserve much better treatment than that.

When did I ever use the word "shove" in my account? Nobody "shoved"
anything anywhere.

I admit the entire incident seemed a bit bizarre but there was nothing
about it that seemed cruel or abusive. If anything it seemed that the
kittens received some degree of release (or even pleasure) from the the
act.

My friend was very gentle when she inserted the Q-Tip. She only did it
because the vet told her it might provide some degree of relief for the
cats until they would be able to bring in the kittens so they could be
spayed. If you knew how squeamish and timid (as well as caring and
compassionate) my friend is you would realize that her motives were
pure.

You act as if she is a sadist who sodomized her cat with a broomstick.
I promise you this is not the case. Perhaps you should think before you
post such judgemental statements. At least one other person has
responded to this thread stating that they too have heard of this
"q-tip" thing before so it is not like it was coming from completely
out it left field.

I wasn't recommending that anyone do it. I have no idea how one should
take care of a cat in this condition. I share my home with a 13 year
old male cat. I have never lived with a female cat so I wouldn't dare
to tell someone how to take care of them. Talk to your vet. Perhaps the
vet will have an opinion regarding the "q-tip" option.

- Jim McManus

Old February 28th 05, 04:43 AM
Mary

"Mr. Jim McManus" wrote in message
oups.com...
I wasn't recommending that anyone do it. I have no idea how one should
take care of a cat in this condition. I share my home with a 13 year
old male cat. I have never lived with a female cat so I wouldn't dare
to tell someone how to take care of them. Talk to your vet. Perhaps the
vet will have an opinion regarding the "q-tip" option.

FWIW, I have heard of this. I'd be willing to bet a substantial amount
of cash that a man came up with the Q-tip solution.

Old February 28th 05, 05:14 AM
Mr. Jim McManus

Mary wrote:
"Mr. Jim McManus" wrote in

message
oups.com...
I wasn't recommending that anyone do it. I have no idea how one

should
take care of a cat in this condition. I share my home with a 13

year
old male cat. I have never lived with a female cat so I wouldn't

dare
to tell someone how to take care of them. Talk to your vet. Perhaps

the
vet will have an opinion regarding the "q-tip" option.

FWIW, I have heard of this. I'd be willing to bet a substantial

amount
of cash that a man came up with the Q-tip solution.

Ha!

I don't know whether to be offended or to thank you for confirming that
my story is legit.

Old February 28th 05, 05:28 AM
Mr. Jim McManus

Diane L. Schirf wrote:
In article .com,
"Mr. Jim McManus" wrote:

I admit the entire incident seemed a bit bizarre but there was

nothing
about it that seemed cruel or abusive. If anything it seemed that

the
kittens received some degree of release (or even pleasure) from the

the
act.

If the veterinarian used that term, he seems at best juvenile. Not
someone I'd want anywhere near any pet of mine.

If you are referring to the term "cooter" I have no idea whether the
veternarian used the word.

As far as the whole sexism implication goes the vet very well may have
been a woman. My friend, who performed the Q-Tip act, is most
definitely a woman.

As far as the term "cooter" goes, I firmly believe that 99% of the
people who actually use this term with any regularity are actually
women. I have never known one man that used that term in reference to
female genitalia on a regular basis. I have known many women who use
that word fairly frequently.

Old February 28th 05, 06:50 AM
jacquie0

Mr. Jim McManus wrote:
jacquie0 wrote:

Mr. Jim McManus wrote:

[...]

Out of curiosity.....what would your friend have done if for some reason
the cotton tip of the q-tip had come off inside of the cat? This is what
appalls me. The risk of that alone could have serious implications.
Any vet worth their weight in salt would NOT recommend doing this to any
animal.
Old February 28th 05, 03:55 PM
CatNipped

jacquie0 wrote in message ...

Out of curiosity.....what would your friend have done if for some reason
the cotton tip of the q-tip had come off inside of the cat? This is what
appalls me. The risk of that alone could have serious implications. Any
vet worth their weight in salt would NOT recommend doing this to any
animal.

That's the same thing I thought. Actually, the best advice I got for
handling a female cat in heat came from another female cat. When we got
Jessie she came into heat right before she was scheduled to be spayed. The
first time Jessie started squawling Demi, one year older and already spayed,
jumped on top of Jessie and bit the back of her neck the way a tom would,
but obviously with inserting anything into Jessie's vagina! Just doing this
seemed to calm Jessie down, so the next time she started squawling I just
scruffed her for a minute and this quieted her. Between the time Demi
scruffed her and I scruffed her I got on the phone and pushed the spay
apppointment up to the next day!!!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old February 28th 05, 05:43 PM
Mary

"CatNipped" wrote in message
jacquie0 wrote in message ...

[...]

That's sounds like a great thing to try for someone who has a cat in
heat and must wait to spay her, good thinking. It's neat how we can
learn from our cats.

Old February 28th 05, 05:50 PM
DL Farnworth

"CatNipped" wrote in message
| jacquie0 wrote in message
|
| Out of curiosity.....what would your friend have
done if for some reason
| the cotton tip of the q-tip had come off inside of
the cat? This is what
| appalls me. The risk of that alone could have
serious implications. Any
| vet worth their weight in salt would NOT recommend
doing this to any
| animal.
|
| That's the same thing I thought. Actually, the best
advice I got for
| handling a female cat in heat came from another
female cat. When we got
| Jessie she came into heat right before she was
scheduled to be spayed. The
| first time Jessie started squawling Demi, one year
older and already spayed,
| jumped on top of Jessie and bit the back of her neck
the way a tom would,
| but obviously with inserting anything into Jessie's
vagina! Just doing this
| seemed to calm Jessie down, so the next time she
started squawling I just
| scruffed her for a minute and this quieted her.
Between the time Demi
| scruffed her and I scruffed her I got on the phone
and pushed the spay
| apppointment up to the next day!!!
|
| Hugs,
|
| CatNipped

Now this is clever. I never thought of doing this.
When Sally went into heat on Christmas Eve at 5 months,
she was a pain and in pain. The other cats just
avoided her. My sister-in-law recommended the Q-tip
but we thought it too rough for such a tender area.
Catnip and an enclosed room downstairs kept Christmas
relatively quiet. But next time - if there is a next
time - the current new addition is one Gilbert - I'll
try scruffing. Thanks.

Old March 1st 05, 01:36 AM
Stormin Mormon

Ear syringe and flush with warm water?

--

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Old March 1st 05, 02:01 AM
-L.

Mr. Jim McManus wrote:
jacquie0 wrote:
Mr. Jim McManus wrote:
Have anyone else heard of this whole q-tip "fix" before? I

couldn't
believe her vet actually instructed her to do that when she first

told me
about it but I must admit that it seemed to help a little. Either

way it
was a pretty crazy thing to watch; I doubt I'll forget it anytime

soon.

BTW both kittens were spayed shortly thereafter.

snip

It's actually an old wives' tale - that using a Q-tip in this manner
will induce ovulation and thus take the cat out of heat. We used to
get questions about this at the feline specialty clinic where I worked,
all the time. Any vet worth a pence would not recommend doing this to
a cat.

-L.