Cat gets hungry, defrosts freezer

Old December 10th 10, 03:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Cat gets hungry, defrosts freezer

Espy. I know it was Espy. He's the only one who ever goes on top of
the refrigerator. I know it was him.

There was a fair amount of upstairs and downstairs traffic during the
night. I figured that there was some critter in the backyard and the
felines went downstairs for a better look.

I'll tell you one thing for sure. The freezer door was not open last
night. Not at all. Nope, not open. Not even a crack. I passed through
the kitchen last night, and even went out into the backyard to put out
some birdseed and make sure that the heated birdbath had enough water.
And the freezer door was closed. As in, Not Open.

But it it was open this morning. Wide open. And everything inside, and
there was a lot inside, was no longer frozen, nor even cool. Even the
tray of former ice cubes that fell on me as I was starting to empty
the formerly cold freezer was not cold. Wet, but not cold.

Also not cold was the half consumed raw burger lying on the kitchen
floor, left over from some bar-b-que. The plastic bag that had
formerly surrounded it was nearby. I guess that explains why Espy
wasn't too hungry at the morning feeding.

Damn cat is really too clever for his own good. Now I need to get some
sort of latch. Obviously whatever weak magnets they use are no longer
sufficient. Maybe a nice Velcro srtip will work.
Old December 10th 10, 03:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Art Shapiro

On 12/10/2010 7:29 AM, dgk wrote:

Also not cold was the half consumed raw burger lying on the kitchen
floor,

Wow! That's one talented cat!

So how did he heat up a frozen burger enough to eat? Have you checked
the microwave?

Art

Old December 10th 10, 04:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bobble[_8_]

dgk wrote in news:dqg4g6h0pnlijtnacdote88hf6rp62e33f@
4ax.com:

[...]

Rather than a latch, I'd wrap a strip of wide masking tape from the edge of
the door to the fridge part, about 1 foot long should do. Then just put
the tape back on itself at one end for easy opening and closing.

Bobble
Old December 10th 10, 05:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 16:59:27 +0000 (UTC), Bobble
wrote:

[...]

That might work for a bit. I'm sure not going to be drilling holes in
the thing. I think velcro might be longer lasting.
Old December 10th 10, 07:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

dgk wrote:
[...]

Also some new rubber seals. My fridge and bottom freezer seal so
tightly it is hard for me to open them.My old one would practically open
itself. You have my condolences for the loss of your frozen food. MLB
Old December 10th 10, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_4_]

Even Velcro could become "permanent". I wanted to put a portable DVR player
on the truck's console for those times (all too frequent in Houston traffic)
when all traffic comes to a standstill for half an hour or more (I'd run out
of audio books). However the heat from the sun (and I would imagine heat
from a machine would do the same) "melted" the plastic sticky permanently
into the console.

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See the RPCA FAQ site, by Mark Edwards, at:
http://www.professional-geek.com/rpcablog/

Old December 13th 10, 02:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Sat, 11 Dec 2010 22:37:58 -0800 (PST), hopitus
wrote:

On Dec 10, 8:29*am, dgk wrote:
[...]

My son asked if your fridge is one of those models with freezer on
bottom.
I now see it is not. Determined cats are capable of woundrous feats.
If as
suggested your freezer door seals are not tight, that might explain
some of
the successful raid. I am inclined to admire your cat for his
dexterity and
daring.

Yes, freezer on top. Espy has is very good at knocking things off of
shelves. He likes to see stuff hit the ground. He'll walk along a
dresser or any other relatively high place and push objects off the
edge. Of course, I've learned to keep fairly lightweight objects away
from the edges of shelves.

We play catch sometimes. I'll put a pen on the edge of a shelf, and
he'll push it off. I catch it in midair (I'm very well trained) and
put it back on the shelf. He pushes it off, and the cycle continues.

So, I think what happened was that he was on the fridge and there is a
gap between the top and the freezer door, where the the rubber gasket
is. So he started to push the door, trying to push it off the shelf,
and it simply opened.

It isn't adjusted well since it should swing closed but it sort of
stays where it is placed. So he pushed it hard enough to open all the
way. Then he just took the opportunity to grab a burger. I'm lucky it
didn't swing shut on him and trap him inside. Frozen Espy would not be
good. I'd much rather lose a freezer of food.

But that's our working theory on what really happened.
Old December 13th 10, 02:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Fri, 10 Dec 2010 18:06:29 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

"dgk" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Sounds to me like, cat or no cat, your freezer was defective. It took
nearly 72 hours for mine to completely thaw out when it died. Granted, the
door was closed but it was in a garage in the summer and had completely shut
down. I think your cat was trying to save you some food

Jill

No, they do keep for at least 24 hours if you don't open them, but
there is nothing wrong with this one. It now has food in it again,
after visits to Costco and Trader Joe, and it's all frozen solid. But
open that door and leave it open in a 68F house and a few hours later
it is all going to be defrosted.

They actually keep much better if you have them completely full rather
than partially full. I tend to keep several trays of ice in it when
it's pretty empty just for that reason.

We bought this freezer without the ice maker. We just don't use that
much ice and it takes up a lot of room. So I do keep trays of ice.
Old December 13th 10, 04:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

My Miz Piglett can do that. she just sticks a paw between the door and the
fridge and keeps working in until it opens. She can, and does, wheen I
forget, start the microwave! I have to unplug it when not in use.

Old December 13th 10, 04:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan

On Dec 13, 8:20*am, "Granby" wrote:
My Miz Piglett can do that. *she just sticks a paw between the door and the
fridge and keeps working in until it opens. *She can, and does, wheen I
forget, start the microwave!

I'd encourage this- who knows? With a little more practice- she'll be
able to get your dinner out of the freezer and cook it for you!

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs