Help - cat aggressive towards kid after attack by another cat

Old April 28th 09, 04:24 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

Default Help - cat aggressive towards kid after attack by another cat

Our 4 year old cat was briefly attacked by a stray cat in our yard
this weekend. She was unharmed, but immediatly became very agressive
towards us and especially our 11 year old son. Since then she has
calmed down somewhat but every now and then becomes very agressive
towards our son. I had her checked out by the vet yesterday and she
appears fine physically. The vet recommended isolating her for a few
days but she is very miserable being locked up in the bathroom.
However, I can't really release her into the house as she keeps
attacking my son. Do you have any advice?
Old April 28th 09, 06:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

wrote in message
Our 4 year old cat was briefly attacked by a stray cat in our yard
this weekend. She was unharmed, but immediatly became very agressive
towards us and especially our 11 year old son. Since then she has
calmed down somewhat but every now and then becomes very agressive
towards our son. I had her checked out by the vet yesterday and she
appears fine physically. The vet recommended isolating her for a few
days but she is very miserable being locked up in the bathroom.
However, I can't really release her into the house as she keeps
attacking my son. Do you have any advice?

Listen to your vet

After the few days than you can start to figure out why she is being
aggressive

Ps I have to read something into this since there is no information. Could
your son be irritating the cat or caused the cat problems before. Not
saying they have but from personal experience it tends to be a factor

Old April 28th 09, 07:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
[email protected]

This sounds like a case of re-directed aggression (based on the
information you posted here). Do you have another, spare room,
possibly with a window that you can shut the cat in instead of a
bathroom? Some place where you can make her feel less confined. Also,
get a couple of Feliway diffusers to help calm her (these are feline
phermonones, available at pet stores).

I would agree with the vet to confine her for a few days (but in a
larger room). Also, please do NOT let her outside again. She may smell/
see the same cat again and you will be back to square 1. I wouldn't
even open a window for a while.

After a few days, let your son give her treats under the door and/or
have him play with her under the door. Slowly, slowly acclimate her to
the house again. Tell your son to not approach her or bother her in
any way. Let her come to him as she wishes.

Go slowly. Do NOT force her to do anything she isn't ready for. Keep
in mind this may take weeks or more, depending on her personality.

I might add that a good book to read is The Cat Who Cried for Help.
There are several examples of situations similar to yours in there.
Here is a link to the book on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Who-Cried-...42597&sr= 8-1
Old April 28th 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Matthew[_3_]

"Matthew" wrote in message
ng.com...

wrote in message
[...]

Forgot to add this experience is from dealing with abused animals. I in no
way am saying that it is happening.
I could be a very simple case of redirected aggression factors due to the
previous experience

Also has your son handled the other cat or wearing a clothing product
such as shoes that may have encountered the other cat scent

Old May 1st 09, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav

Thanks for all the advice. We've kept the kid and cat separated for
the entire week and this morning tried again to have them simply in
the same room. Cat still became very agressive, hissing and peeing
but we didn't react and she ran away and calmed herself. I think
we'll keep trying this strategy for the next few days and see what
happens. My son always had a great relationship with the cat so I'm
not sure why the redirected agression (I read up on this online) has
occured at him. Otherwise she is acting pretty normally now (we let
her in the rest of the house and only locked her up for the few
evening hours we are all at home..) Hopefully she can become
habituated to him again...