kitten alwasys sleeping and a few other questions

Old July 16th 03, 03:04 AM
Gail

Has she been playing less since she got the dewormer? The kitten is under
weight and probably is more fragile as a result. She should be thoroughly
checked over to make sure nothing else is wrong with her. I would feed high
quality dry and canned food. Feed her small amounts frequently and always
provide fresh water. Two months old is very young and ideally she should not
yet have been separated from her mother. With good care she should be OK,
though.
Gail
"Laura" wrote in message
Hi
Last friday I got a kitten from an ad in the newspaper and it had an
irritated eye and I took it to the vet on saturday morning, well he said
that the kitten was really under weight and he gave her a dewormer, he

also
said that her eye was only irritated and that it would get better, he

asked
if she played like a normal kitten and i said yes since she seemed fairly
playful. Well she is not the least bit playful and only seems to be

eating
and sleeping, with the ocassional roaming of the house. She only weighs

1.3
pounds and the vet said he thinks she is only 2 months old. I was

wondering
if the reason she is always sleeping is due to the fact that she is so

thin
and has to build up energy. I plan to take her to the vet to get her

first
set of shot friday or saturday so i'll ask the vet then but I was

wondering
if it was normal. She's free to roam the house with our other cat except

at
night when we confine her to the bathroom.
SO I was wondering if it was fairly normal for a kitten to be sleeping all
the time and not the least bit playful I mean all the kittens I have ever
had were playful, never like this.
Also I was wondering which was better dry or canned food, right now I'm am
giving her canned authority kitten food during the day and dry kitten food
by authority at night, since she is so tiny she seems to like the canned
better I figured it will help put weight on her more then the dry since

she
doens't eat that much of it.
Thanks
Laura

Old July 16th 03, 05:28 AM
Laura

Hi
Thanks for the reply. Since she got the dewormer the next day after I got
her I do not know if that is affecting her. She watches my laser pointer
and mouse pointer but doesn't play with balls or anything like that. I
shall have her checked out by the vet again on friday or saturday, the vet i
took her to for her eye wasn't my normal vet but he seemed to check her over
a fair amount, my normal vet checks temp though and he didn't. I know she's
alwfully young to be away from her mom but I got her from a fairly horrible
situation, she seems to eat a lot of food though and think my dog is her
mommy. Not really trying to get milk but trys to cuddle and the dog doesn't
know what to think of her.
Also I was wondering if there was a minimum weight for a kitten to be before
then can get there first set of shots.