Feral kittens not really scared but..

Old October 9th 03, 03:43 PM
MaryL

"Rooster" wrote in message

I intend to keep them all in the house for now,At around 5-6 months , I

will
take them all to get fixed.
and release them into my backyard.and Feed them daily
IF I get really attached by then or they're scared of the outside, I

might
keep them as House cats.
Im also going to trap momma cat and get her fixed and release her in my
yard.

Thanks,

This sounds very promising. Please forget about "if" you get really
attached and just assume that it "will" happen. These babies are going to
become *your* babies. I hope you will just move forward with the assumption
that these kitties will be indoor-only cats from now on. They will be much
safer that way.
My very first cat was a feral cat (one that I adopted at about the age of 5
months), and he became a truly wonderful companion. Yours are younger, so
they should become socialized more quickly. Many people on this group have
a great deal of experience with rescue, and they can answer questions as you
work your way through the process.

Check with your vet on an appropriate age for neutering. The age you
mentioned (5-6 months) used to be considered the optimum age. Now it is
done much younger, and that would avoid any "complications" as they mature
(assuming they may not be the same gender).

The kittens do need more space to play. Please take the advice that some
others have offered on this.

Good luck! And thank you for adopting these kittens. You have just started
a wonderful journey and will soon find that they give you at least as much
pleasure as you give them.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Photos of Duffy and Holly:
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Old October 9th 03, 03:48 PM
MaryL

"Iso" wrote in message
Also, declawing is not considered inhumane in the US although there are

certain counties in different states that WILL NOT DO the procedure.

Yes, declawing is considered inhumane by many of us in the U.S. It is not
illegal in most of the U.S., but that is a different issue.

MaryL
(take out the litter to reply)

Old October 9th 03, 03:58 PM

ISO wrote:
think about what you post before you
post false statements.

Take your own advice.

I've be in cat rescue for 25 years and have more real life experience
than you obviously have in your pinky finger. Nothing I said was false.
The poster came here for advice and seems to want to do the right thing
and I think they will continue to ask for advice and do what's best for
the kittens. It's clear they are a novice at this sort of thing and just
need some experienced help and direction.

That does NOT entail declawing the kittens, which, despite your claim it
is not considered inhumane, IS the utmost in cruelty and maims a cat for
life. It also results in a high surrender rate to shelters after the cat
develops one of the myriad of problems associated with declawing
(biting, urinating outside the box.) The 300 declawed cats KILLED at ONE
shelter in New Jersey over the course of a year because they had
behavior problems would also disagree with your idiotic logic.

As to dumping unsocialized cats at shelters, if what you say is true,
and I know it's not (81% of kittens dumped at all your shelters then
adopted are feral? yeah, right) then unless you can provide absolute
proof this is true, which I doubt, yours is the exception and not the
rule. If you don't believe me call Minneapolis Animal Control and ask
them what they do to feral cats. Call 100 other shelters and ask them
the same thing. You will get the same answer the majority of the time.
Ferals are considered unadoptable and are killed.

Most people want to adopt cute cuddly kittens or sweet adults and don't
have the first clue about socializing wild cats or the patience it
requires. There is also the issue of liability as feral cats can be
dangerous and do harm. I know this first hand as I've socialized many
ferals and have the scars to prove it. If you spent any time in a
shelter you would know that the tame cats that spend their time in the
back of the cage not interacting with people that come by rarely get
adopted. What do you think happens with ferals?

I suggest you stop posting, lurk for awhile and LEARN. I've seen what
you've written so far and you're not doing cats any favors.

Megan

nothing."

-Edmund Burke

Learn The TRUTH About Declawing
http://www.stopdeclaw.com

Zuzu's Cats Photo Album:
http://www.PictureTrail.com/zuzu22

way."

- W.H. Murray

Old October 9th 03, 05:23 PM
Iso

The only point that I am trying to make MEGAN, is that the animals deserve a
right to live. However, if the author doesn't have the means to support or
take care of the kittens, what do you expect him/her to do? Since you claim
to work at a shelter, then you have to agree that kittens are probably
easiest to socialize. If the author dumps these cats on the street, as HIS
DECISION in five to six months, where does that put our debate? Are the cats
better off on the street, or at a no kill shelter? It's his call no matter
what you or I think, claim, or believe. I say keep the kittens, accommodate
them and if you cant handle three cats, then try to find homes for all
three. If you can't find homes, and you cannot keep the cats turn them over
to a shelter that will hopefully find a home for all three. I am against
putting the cats outside letting all three roam.

Regarding the declawing debate, it's just at touchy as abortion. No matter
how cruel, inhumane, despicable, gross, unkind, ruthless, you or I feel
about the process, it comes down to the owner of the cat. It's not illegal
in any of the fifty states and it probably will never be. It's their
decision that matters.

My statistics for the feral population taken in are skewed, however since I
no longer live in the area of the nation that had feral problems and
colonies, I am willing to venture a guess and say my percentage is wrong,
but not by much. Since so many cats are lumped into feral colonies, the
actual definition has changed. When I lived in Florida, there were so many
colonies of feral cats, and stray's that the city wouldn't put anything over
two years up for adoption. So, it had to be less than two years of age to
even be considered adoptable. I'm not saying its right, but the recent cat
population has sky rocketed in the city I am in now. It's an unfortunate
situation, but there is just no way, anyone will adopt every cat, even if
the cats are free to a good home. I'm sorry that you disagree, but you don't
have to disrespectfully disagree.

Old October 10th 03, 04:53 AM
Cheryl

In ,
Iso composed with style:

You are correct, the younger the kitten the better.

That depends.

Just remember
that if you decide to take in these kittens it's a lifetime
decision.

That is not true. They can be taken in as foster cats. To find the
onetruehome.

You will from now on control their universe. You will
control everything from feeding time to play time. You need to
consider taking them to the vet

Consider?? If they are taken in it is a neccessity.

to be checked up and given their
shots. You also need to think about if you want to have them
neutered/castrated

Again, a neccessity. Whether they are kept as pets or fostered until
they are found a onetruehome they need to be neutered. It can be done
as young as 8 wks, or 2 lbs.

and declawed (although it's considered inhumane
in some areas).

Eh? You are condoning declawing of these babies???

If you decide that you don't want the cat's you
need to turn them over to the Humane Society or a No Kill Shelter
as soon as possible.

They will be killed. No-kill shelters don't always mean that. They
mean "adoptable" cats will be either fostered or held in a cage for a
certain amount of time. Kittens who are feral are not considered
adoptable as a standard. A sanctuary is what I think you mean.

Kittens are predominantly adopted more than a
one year old cat,

Wrong. I've seen too many grow up to be unadoptable *cats* and then
they aren't wanted anymore than they were before they grew up.

which nobody wanted to begin with. Do the right
thing.

Which is have them vetted, shotted, neutered, fostered, hang up signs
with cute stories about them with pictures and a sad story and find
them their onetruehome.

Old October 10th 03, 05:47 AM
Iso

ISO's constant use of the word "feline" when refering to kitties should be a
huge clue to the mentality here. S/h/it doesn't get it.

I'm sorry if my lexicon supersedes your terminology. However, when you
disagree with anyone, do don't have to disrespectfully disagree. That really
shows your character! Just so, you know CHERYL, the term that you loosely
throw around KITTY, holds no merit for your disagreement. Kitty is actually
A pool of money, especially one to which a number of people have contributed
for a designated purpose, like of a portion of each pot in a poker game.
Moreover, just a little DID YOU KNOW for CHERYL, Felidae is actually
redirected from Feline. Furthermore, ALL cats are members of the family
Felidae, but just so you know CHERYL, it is actually Felis silvestris catus.
NOT KITTY. There is a difference to the remainder of the world. The term cat
most commonly means a domestic cat, although it can also be used to refer to
the other members of the feline family. For example, lions, tigers, jaguars
and the like are often referred to as the big cats. THINK BEFORE YOU TYPE!
AND the next time you post something, press the F7 key.

"Cheryl" wrote in message
In ,
composed with style:

Old October 10th 03, 02:00 PM
Ted Davis

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 04:47:34 GMT, "Iso" wrote:

[...]

"Here feline, feline, feline! Feline, feline, feline - come and get
your supper - here feline, feline, feline!"

Yeah, sure - even most ferals know that they are called 'kitties', but
I've never know any cat that instinctively responded to 'feline', or
anything else but 'kitty'. We call them 'kitties' because that is
what they want to be called.

On a linguistic note, 'kitty' is a diminutive of 'kitten' when applied
to cats.

T.E.D. )
Old October 10th 03, 04:07 PM
Iso

I agree with you Ted, 100%. However, Cheryl is the one who doesn't
understand the terminology. The truth is that you can call a cat by just
about any name if its hungry, using the right tone of voice and it will come
regardless. Nonetheless, I do understand were you are coming from. I am just
giving Cheryl a hard time because she called me out.

Regards,

Iso