Jet update #2

Old January 24th 06, 07:40 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Jet update #2

Potjie / Mister / Pugsley is litter-box trained, but messy; he digs to
China and scatters litter all over the place. Still, much better than
the prospect of having to litter box train him.

["Potjie" is an Afrikaans word for a black, cast iron pot and for some
reason it kinda suits this little feline)

He still needs to work on adjusting his work hours to ours. Sunday
night he was locked out of our room and let us know about it every
hour, on the hour. He has a strong, vocal aversion to closed doors.

Last night we left the door open a bit so that all three cats could
come and go as they pleased. This worked in as much as NewCat didn't
start yelling until about 4am, when the cool change came through. I'm
not sure what he wanted - he may have wanted to go out to romp through
the coolth, or he may have wanted me to feed him (again!). Needless
to say, both desires went unrequited. He woke me up enough that I had
to go to the loo. He joined me there, winding around my legs and
purring estatically. Maybe he was just lonely in the quiet house
(where everyone else was still *asleep*!) and wanted company? I gave
up at 5am and got out of bed; I have to be up before 6 anyway.

Somewhat predictably, Spock is the first of our pair to adjust to the
newcomer - he seems to enjoy anything (or anyone) new. This morning
he indulged in purely recreational hissing at NewCat. NewCat is
entirely unphased by this and, in fact, seems to ignore our two cats
completely. Tonight I'm going to see if NewCat knows how to play.
Since he's only a year or so old, he *should* know about playing.

Persephone is very bothered by this intruder, as she is by all
intruders. She does not swear as convincingly as Ted used to, but
that's not for lack of practise. It looks a little as though NewCat is
not bowing down under her queenship as much as she would
like. Spock is (occasionally) subservient to Persephone, and the dogs
are always low on the pecking order, and I think she's come to expect
it in all creatures. It takes Persephone three days to get used to
human visitors, and I expect that it will take her only slightly
longer to get used to this little fellow.

DHand I wormed all three cats last night - always an entertaining
excercise. I'll take NewCat to the vet on Friday (Thursday being a
public holiday) for a check-up and advice about grooming. I've
already (carefully) cut the biggest mats out of his fur and groomed
him a couple of times, so I'm hoping that we can get away with careful
cutting and grooming, rather than having to subject him to a lion cut.

He wasn't impressed by the 36C heat and humidity yesterday. It's
remarkable how flat a cat can get on cool tiles!

Oh, and he knows about playing, but it still not comfortable enough to
"let himself go". He'll get there.

Tish

Old January 24th 06, 10:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tish Silberbauer wrote:

Potjie / Mister / Pugsley is litter-box trained, but messy; he digs to
China and scatters litter all over the place. Still, much better than
the prospect of having to litter box train him.

snip I'll take NewCat to the vet on Friday (Thursday being a
public holiday) for a check-up and advice about grooming. I've
already (carefully) cut the biggest mats out of his fur and groomed
him a couple of times, so I'm hoping that we can get away with careful
cutting and grooming, rather than having to subject him to a lion cut.

He wasn't impressed by the 36C heat and humidity yesterday. It's
remarkable how flat a cat can get on cool tiles!

Oh, and he knows about playing, but it still not comfortable enough to
"let himself go". He'll get there.

Tish

What a great update! Thanks.
Best wishes,
Polonca and Soncek

Old January 25th 06, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tish Silberbauer wrote:

I'll take NewCat to the vet on Friday (Thursday being a
public holiday) for a check-up and advice about grooming. I've
already (carefully) cut the biggest mats out of his fur and groomed
him a couple of times, so I'm hoping that we can get away with careful
cutting and grooming, rather than having to subject him to a lion cut.

You're doing so well by him. I agree it would be a shame to
have to give him a buzz cut -- but whatever keeps him
comfortable and healthy will be okay. He's a very fortunate
kitten. I sure hope he likes his new home.

--

Wayne M.
Old January 25th 06, 04:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Tish Silberbauer wrote:

He wasn't impressed by the 36C heat and humidity yesterday. It's
remarkable how flat a cat can get on cool tiles!

LOL! Glad that things are going so well. Lovely update.

marina (dot) kurten (at) iki (dot) fi