Feral Cats & Roof Rats

Old January 16th 04, 08:06 PM
Cat Protector

Default Feral Cats & Roof Rats

Has anyone got information or stories about how a feral cat colony can be
used to help wipe out or at least keep in check Roof Rats? Here in the
Phoenix area (at least East Phoenix, parts of Scottsdale, and now Tempe)
Roof Rats have become a problem. Despite laying down traps, cleaning up food
sources like dropped fruit (from the citrus trees) and such, Roof Rats are
moving into other areas. From what I have read the ideas for getting rid of
them is vast. It seems predators can help at least keep the rats in check
but not totally eliminate them. Predators such as owls, hawks, and cats
(even though cats will often have trouble with the adult rats, they can take
care of the juveniles) seem to be good ideas besides snakes. When the
Arcadia area was having problems with the rats the city of Phoenix seemed to
think cats were not a good suggestion but I think a feral colony of cats
could be of some help.

The only problem I see with using cats is because rats seem to carry disease
but yet so far every rat that has been trapped by the County (Maricopa) have
not had any diseases. The other problem that cats might face is the use of
poisoned traps which could be very harmful to a cat if they eat a rat that
has the poison in their system. Also cats tend to eat their kill so they
might be a bit full from eating a good sized rat. But could a colony of
feral cats (which we do have here in the Phoenix area) be a good form of rat
control if the rats are healthy? I'd like to know your thoughts.

Cat Galaxy: All Cats, All The Time!
www.catgalaxymedia.com

Old January 17th 04, 04:37 AM

In article VCWNb.5044$zy3.710@okepread01,
"Cat Protector" wrote:

cats will often have trouble with the adult rats, they can take
care of the juveniles

Heh. The colony I care for at work has plenty of rats; the rats live in
the ivy landscaping.

A co-worker told me she saw one of my colony (ButtonNose, a small grey
striped DSH) dragging a HUGE struggling live rat across the parking lot.
The rat was much bigger than the cat--big enough to frighten my
co-worker--yet the cat had it firmly. The rat freed itself eventually
and ButtonNose chased it under the cars where my co-worker lost sight of
them.

I don't know what happened to that poor rat, but ButtonNose showed up at
the feeding station for dinner that night fit and healthy with nary a
scratch on him.

I think a lot depends on the nature of the individual cat. ButtonNose
knew his queen and she taught her litter how to hunt and kill. Some of
the other ferals seem not quite as skilled.

Old January 17th 04, 08:02 AM

In article OC2Ob.5637$zy3.5542@okepread01,
"Cat Protector" wrote:

Yes but did the colony help to reduce the rat population or at least keep
them in check?

Without having done a formal count of the rats there, I would give the
colony a thumbs up at rat control. Before I started caring for the
ferals there (about 10 years ago), rats were seen occasionally, even in
broad daylight. The rat ButtonNose had was the first sighting in years
that I know about. Since I'm known as the cat person there, if anyone
saw rats, they'd probably mention it to me as regards the cats.

OTOH, there is lots of wildlife in the area. We've got raccoon, skunk,
possum, and most recently, coyote (which will eat anything they can
catch of course). That may also affect the rat population.

In our home neighborhood, where we are one of at least three
feral-feeding families, we still see the occasional rat on the telephone
wires. I just think we'd see them a LOT more if the cats weren't around.

I believe the cats play a huge role in controlling not only the wild rat
population, but other vermin as well. Unfortunately I don't have any
hard evidence to back it up. I also think well-fed, healthy feral cats
like ButtonNose are more effective as ratters than starved, sick cats.

I do know that the State of California has positioned itself in
opposition to trap-alter-release feral cat programs because it claims
that feral cats are decimating such species as the endangered salt marsh
mouse. I'd expect similar results from surveys counting other rodent
populations near organized feral colonies as well.

All this talk of wildlife and feral care has reminded me to suggest to
all feral colony care people to consider getting a "pre-exposure" series
of shots to immunize yourself against the possibility of rabies.
Everyone involved in wildlife care (which includes those who care for
ferals) should be immunized. Some cities/counties will do it for free,
if you don't have insurance. Check with your local health agency.
Old January 17th 04, 08:20 AM
Cat Protector

I did read an article that in Los Angeles they used cats to control a rat
problem in one area. It seems that at one time they removed feral cats from
the area and the rodent population exploded. Here in the Phoenix area cats
were suggested last year when the roof rats infested the Arcadia
neighborhood and parts of Scottsdale but the so-called experts said that
wouldn't help. I don't think they thought of a feral colony of cats to take
care of some of the problem. Maybe they will now.