Advice on adopting a stray?

Old July 31st 06, 11:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
[email protected]

Default Advice on adopting a stray?

Hi everyone.

About a month ago a very skinny and very cute cat appeared on my
doorstep and we started feeding him. I called every shelter and animal
rescue organization and they don't have any reports of him or a lost
cat that is even close. I would love to adopt him, but I am not sure
what I need to do to make that possible.

I have 2 indoor cats already (and hadn't intended to get another one,
but I think he adopted me) and I am not entirely sure what the risks
are. I know I have to take him to the vet before he can come inside,
but will that make it safe to introduce them over time?

My other question is: Does anyone have a good idea for trapping him
without scaring him to death? I looked at the hav-a-heart traps, but I
am afraid of getting all the neighborhood cats but him. If you have
any ideas, please let me know. He's such a pretty cat and he seems
really sweet the less he is afraid of me.

Thanks so much,

Anna

Old August 1st 06, 12:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Laura

Anna sounds like he's a feral...if he's that scared and you've been feeding
him for awhile..I'd say just pick him up and put him in a kennel If he'll
let you. any other questions? E-mail me direct through my website

http://lauraspetrescue.tripod.com

Old August 7th 06, 10:08 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.rescue
Da Beav

The trapping problem is difficult. I used a steel trap (not sure what
it's technically called) to capture the adult feral I adopted. If
you're genuinely concerned that you'll inadvertently catch one of the
neighborhood cats (and simulataneously scare away any cats who
happened to be watching), then you could monitor the trap and do some
selective sniping with a water pistol to keep the unwanted ones at
bay.

Whether the stray will get along with your indoor cats is anyone's
guess. My feral is very submissive, and she gets along great with
roommates' dogs and cats. She has no interest in defending her
territory/food/whatever. She observes but does not approach other
dogs/cats.

I was able to get a voucher from the local humane society and have my
feral friend spayed and vaccinated for free. Don't know if you have
a program like that in your area. My cat's been very healthy for the
past 4 years (the vet guessed she was 1 when I trapped her), although
she came into my life with a major flea problem and some infected
lesions.

IMPORTANT NOTE: If a cat has grown up feral (and isn't just a "stray,"
accustomed to human contact), then don't expect him/her to be a good
pet in the classic sense. He/she will likely never permit any kind of
physical contact, as is the case with my cat. Thus, you'll have to
"re-trap" the cat for every trip to the vet, which can be quite
exhausting. But, if you keep your expectations low and regard this
cat as a wild animal who happens to eat and sleep in your home, then
the two of you will get along fine. I've been able to scratch my cat
under the chin once or twice (but only for a few seconds) in four
years, and she no longer runs for cover whenever she sees me, so we
are making slow progress. A roommate once tried to wash and groom my
cat and acclimate her to human affection, but the effort was utterly
unsuccessful. While no stitches were required, several boxes of
bandages were employed, and the experience was frustrating for both
parties.

P.S. On the plug side, my feral needed no introduction to a litter
box, and she's perfectly quiet (only meows after getting painful shots
at the vet's office), and I never have to worry about being kneaded
awake with sharpened claws in the mornings!