Newbie stuff: Best value in cat foods? Dry or canned?

Old May 24th 05, 09:11 PM
Ajanta

Default Newbie stuff: Best value in cat foods? Dry or canned?

We have sort of "adopted" a cat that visits us once or twice a day. I
wouldn't mind keeping her but she is a free spirit and I think
confinement would be a torture for her now.

Her behavior is quite aristocratic: For example one of her visits is in
the late aftrenoon. She suns on the porch, then waits by the door and
wants to come in as soon as she sees us. She likes to lie on various
carpets, sit in a few of her favorite spots, be petted, watch TV for a
while (she really likes TV!), have some food and then she definitely
wants to leave and move on! She quietly sits by the door once again,
this time to be let out. She likes to spend about 2 hours with us.

She never misbehaves, never pees inside. She never begs for food, never
jumps at food even if she is very hungry and seems to prefer to eat
alone when no one is watching. (Typically, when I place the food, she
checks it out, has a bite or two at most, but then gets busy with other
life. She prefers to eat later when we are at the other end of the
house. Any explanation?)

We know nothing about cat foods. So far I have bought a dry bag and
occasional cans from Target, Walgreens etc. A little bit of web surfing
tells me such foods are likely to be "unhealthy junk foods", with meat
by-produts, grains etc dominating. I have a few basic question for the
experts:

1. Is dry food better or wet food, or some kind of rotation?

2. We can't afford to go too premium but also don't want to feed her
junk food that's bad for her. Are there any "best value" brands to look
for? What kind of stores are best?

3. If she doesn't finish the food, can the left-overs remain in the
bowl to be eaten later, or should they be discarded?

4. In case of canned food, if we don't use the entire can, can the
unused portion be refrigerated and used next day? Should it be given
cold, or microwaved?

5. Do cats like to eat at a definite spot, from a fixed bowl, etc?

As you can see, we know nothing. All pointers would be greatly
appreciated.
Old May 24th 05, 09:50 PM
Victor Martinez

Ajanta wrote:
1. Is dry food better or wet food, or some kind of rotation?

Wet food is *always* better than dry food. Cats are carnivores, there is
no reason to feed them corn or rice. Read the ingredients list and judge
for yourself.

2. We can't afford to go too premium but also don't want to feed her
junk food that's bad for her. Are there any "best value" brands to look
for? What kind of stores are best?

You will find the lowest prices at the big chain stores (Petsmart,
Petco). From the brands sold there, the best is Nutro. Look for stuff
without by-products and with meats at the top of the ingredients list.
If a grain is one of the top 3 ingredients, don't buy it.

3. If she doesn't finish the food, can the left-overs remain in the
bowl to be eaten later, or should they be discarded?

Canned food will go bad eventually, it depends on the weather. I feed
my crew canned food twice a day, if there are any leftovers by the time
of the next feeding, I toss them.

4. In case of canned food, if we don't use the entire can, can the
unused portion be refrigerated and used next day? Should it be given
cold, or microwaved?

Most cats prefer their food at room or body temperature, but some will
eat it cold. If she won't eat it cold, try warming it a bit by taking it
out a couple of hours before feeding. I would avoid the microwave, since
it produces very uneven results (some parts of the food will be too hot,
some cold).

5. Do cats like to eat at a definite spot, from a fixed bowl, etc?

Yes, cats are routine loving critters and most prefer to eat on the same
spot every day. Avoid plastic dishes, metal and ceramic are best.
Instead of buying overpriced cat bowls, buy regular people dessert
plates at Target, they're cheaper.

As you can see, we know nothing. All pointers would be greatly
appreciated.

It's great that you've decided to adopt a cat. They are wonderful
companions. Please do keep coming with questions and comments, we're
here to help.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old May 26th 05, 01:18 AM
W. Leong

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
. ..

5. Do cats like to eat at a definite spot, from a fixed bowl, etc?

Yes, cats are routine loving critters and most prefer to eat on the same
spot every day. Avoid plastic dishes, metal and ceramic are best. Instead
of buying overpriced cat bowls, buy regular people dessert plates at
Target, they're cheaper.

I bought a glass dish wide enough to accomodate a cat's whiskers at
Dollar store for $1. I think glass should be OK too, right?

Winnie

Old May 26th 05, 06:18 AM
Ajanta

Thank you for your detailed advice. I went to Petsmart and bought an
assortment of Nutro, IAMS, and Science Diet cans to give them a try.

(I am glad that thanks to all the good advice I received I avoided what
I would have been most likely to buy otherwise: 24-can packs of Whiskas
or Friskies!)

I spent a lot of time reading labels. Must say I was concerned that
even premium food had by-products and corn/rice listed among
ingredients, like cheaper brands. Maybe it ia a matter of percentage?

Another customer who was there said she buys premium food but likes
to economize by mixing dry food with wet. Does this seem like a good
idea to people here ? (She uses 1 Tbsp wet with 1/2 cup dry.)

Thanks again for all the help.

A.

: 1. Is dry food better or wet food, or some kind of rotation?
:
Old May 26th 05, 12:45 PM
Victor Martinez

Ajanta wrote:
I spent a lot of time reading labels. Must say I was concerned that
even premium food had by-products and corn/rice listed among
ingredients, like cheaper brands. Maybe it ia a matter of percentage?

Yes. Some people aren't concerned about by-products and some people say
not all by-products are created equal. If I could get my cats to eat
only Innova and Felidae, I'd be happy. But they seem to like by-products
for some reason. The Nutro line does not have by-products, so I try to
feed them as much as possible about them. I also avoid corn, since it's
a known allergen for cats.

Another customer who was there said she buys premium food but likes
to economize by mixing dry food with wet. Does this seem like a good
idea to people here ? (She uses 1 Tbsp wet with 1/2 cup dry.)

I give them dry food to snack on between meals. Some of our cats prefer
dry food, but I try to make them eat canned food (it's good for you, eat
it!) as much as possible.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old May 27th 05, 09:22 AM
-L.

Ajanta wrote:
We have sort of "adopted" a cat that visits us once or twice a day. I
wouldn't mind keeping her but she is a free spirit and I think
confinement would be a torture for her now.

Canned Friskie's. Get her spayed.

-L.