A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat anecdotes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

Nipsy going for an operation



 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old November 11th 17, 02:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,251
Default Nipsy going for an operation

His left ear canal is blocked by something, maybe cancer, maybe a big
polyp. I know that he has something in his lungs based on a month old
X-Ray, but he's had issues with his left ear for years and the vet
thinks it could be a polyp. Whatever it is, it's blocking us from
treating an infection underneath it and if nothing is done the
infection will continue to hurt him and eventually travel into the
inner ear and cause massive problems. He's already scratched at it so
hard that all the hair behind that ear is gone. I have to do
something.

My vet will do surgery on Monday to cut away the growth. Nipsy is 16.
I turned down doing an EKG. It would cost $100 or so and will tell us
whether Nipsy is likely to survive anesthesia. But I don't see that I
have any other option than to do surgery so why throw away $100?

Well, I could take him to the specialty surgeon. My vet says that the
specialty surgeon will do a more complete job, getting out all of the
growth, but if it's cancer that doesn't really matter since he very
will might have it in the lungs already and there's no way to be sure
that you get all the cancer cells. And, of course, the specialty vet
will charge over $2000 with no better chance of Nipsy surviving the
surgery.

So, send some purrs Nipsy's way please. I'll let you know how it goes.
  #2  
Old November 11th 17, 05:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,761
Default Nipsy going for an operation

On 11/10/2017 7:38 PM, dgk wrote:
His left ear canal is blocked by something, maybe cancer, maybe a big
polyp. I know that he has something in his lungs based on a month old
X-Ray, but he's had issues with his left ear for years and the vet
thinks it could be a polyp. Whatever it is, it's blocking us from
treating an infection underneath it and if nothing is done the
infection will continue to hurt him and eventually travel into the
inner ear and cause massive problems. He's already scratched at it so
hard that all the hair behind that ear is gone. I have to do
something.

My vet will do surgery on Monday to cut away the growth. Nipsy is 16.
I turned down doing an EKG. It would cost $100 or so and will tell us
whether Nipsy is likely to survive anesthesia. But I don't see that I
have any other option than to do surgery so why throw away $100?

Well, I could take him to the specialty surgeon. My vet says that the
specialty surgeon will do a more complete job, getting out all of the
growth, but if it's cancer that doesn't really matter since he very
will might have it in the lungs already and there's no way to be sure
that you get all the cancer cells. And, of course, the specialty vet
will charge over $2000 with no better chance of Nipsy surviving the
surgery.

So, send some purrs Nipsy's way please. I'll let you know how it goes.


....Sending purrs for Nipsy...and for you. I hope you will receive a
very good report following Nipsy's surgery. It's always very difficult
to make a serious decision for our beloved pets.

MaryL

  #3  
Old November 11th 17, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,596
Default Nipsy going for an operation

On 11/10/2017 8:38 PM, dgk wrote:
His left ear canal is blocked by something, maybe cancer, maybe a big
polyp. I know that he has something in his lungs based on a month old
X-Ray, but he's had issues with his left ear for years and the vet
thinks it could be a polyp. Whatever it is, it's blocking us from
treating an infection underneath it and if nothing is done the
infection will continue to hurt him and eventually travel into the
inner ear and cause massive problems. He's already scratched at it so
hard that all the hair behind that ear is gone. I have to do
something.

My vet will do surgery on Monday to cut away the growth. Nipsy is 16.
I turned down doing an EKG. It would cost $100 or so and will tell us
whether Nipsy is likely to survive anesthesia. But I don't see that I
have any other option than to do surgery so why throw away $100?

Well, I could take him to the specialty surgeon. My vet says that the
specialty surgeon will do a more complete job, getting out all of the
growth, but if it's cancer that doesn't really matter since he very
will might have it in the lungs already and there's no way to be sure
that you get all the cancer cells. And, of course, the specialty vet
will charge over $2000 with no better chance of Nipsy surviving the
surgery.

So, send some purrs Nipsy's way please. I'll let you know how it goes.

Purrs on the way for it to be a simple polyp and nothing more.

Jill
  #4  
Old November 14th 17, 04:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,251
Default Nipsy going for an operation

On Mon, 13 Nov 2017 17:58:43 +0000 (GMT), Judith Latham
wrote:

In article ,
dgk wrote:
His left ear canal is blocked by something, maybe cancer, maybe a big
polyp. I know that he has something in his lungs based on a month old
X-Ray, but he's had issues with his left ear for years and the vet
thinks it could be a polyp. Whatever it is, it's blocking us from
treating an infection underneath it and if nothing is done the
infection will continue to hurt him and eventually travel into the
inner ear and cause massive problems. He's already scratched at it so
hard that all the hair behind that ear is gone. I have to do
something.


My vet will do surgery on Monday to cut away the growth. Nipsy is 16.
I turned down doing an EKG. It would cost $100 or so and will tell us
whether Nipsy is likely to survive anesthesia. But I don't see that I
have any other option than to do surgery so why throw away $100?


Well, I could take him to the specialty surgeon. My vet says that the
specialty surgeon will do a more complete job, getting out all of the
growth, but if it's cancer that doesn't really matter since he very
will might have it in the lungs already and there's no way to be sure
that you get all the cancer cells. And, of course, the specialty vet
will charge over $2000 with no better chance of Nipsy surviving the
surgery.


So, send some purrs Nipsy's way please. I'll let you know how it goes.


How is Nipsy? How did the op. go?

Judith


Good and bad. He survived and the vet removed about an inch of stuff
that was clogging the ear. The bad news is that the growth extends
into the ear canal and it would take the specialist to get it all out,
and the vet doesn't recommend doing that for a 16 yo cat. Still, it
means that we probably can cure the infection that's been causing the
immediate problem

So Nipsy is wearing the soft collar and is not happy about that, but I
am to give him a liquid pain killer three times a day and rinse his
ear once per day. Getting him out from under the bed is tough at the
moment but that should get better as he recovers.

I don't know what the growth was but the vet is not sure that it's
cancer, so I'm just going to see how it progresses. He's had problems
with that ear for years so I'm leaning against the cancer and guessing
that it's something more benign.

I'm having a fence installed around my yard so the cats won't be able
to get out, and it looks like Nipsy will at least get a chance to roam
a small part of the outdoors, and I'm glad about that.

Thanks for the purrs everyone, they clearly helped.
  #5  
Old November 18th 17, 03:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 7,596
Default Nipsy going for an operation

On 11/13/2017 10:48 PM, dgk wrote:
Good and bad. He survived and the vet removed about an inch of stuff
that was clogging the ear. The bad news is that the growth extends
into the ear canal and it would take the specialist to get it all out,
and the vet doesn't recommend doing that for a 16 yo cat. Still, it
means that we probably can cure the infection that's been causing the
immediate problem

So Nipsy is wearing the soft collar and is not happy about that, but I
am to give him a liquid pain killer three times a day and rinse his
ear once per day. Getting him out from under the bed is tough at the
moment but that should get better as he recovers.

I don't know what the growth was but the vet is not sure that it's
cancer, so I'm just going to see how it progresses. He's had problems
with that ear for years so I'm leaning against the cancer and guessing
that it's something more benign.

I'm having a fence installed around my yard so the cats won't be able
to get out, and it looks like Nipsy will at least get a chance to roam
a small part of the outdoors, and I'm glad about that.

Thanks for the purrs everyone, they clearly helped.


I'm glad for the good news. Purrs continue for Nipsy and for you.

Jill
  #6  
Old November 21st 17, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,251
Default Nipsy going for an operation

On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:42:32 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:

On 11/13/2017 10:48 PM, dgk wrote:
Good and bad. He survived and the vet removed about an inch of stuff
that was clogging the ear. The bad news is that the growth extends
into the ear canal and it would take the specialist to get it all out,
and the vet doesn't recommend doing that for a 16 yo cat. Still, it
means that we probably can cure the infection that's been causing the
immediate problem

So Nipsy is wearing the soft collar and is not happy about that, but I
am to give him a liquid pain killer three times a day and rinse his
ear once per day. Getting him out from under the bed is tough at the
moment but that should get better as he recovers.

I don't know what the growth was but the vet is not sure that it's
cancer, so I'm just going to see how it progresses. He's had problems
with that ear for years so I'm leaning against the cancer and guessing
that it's something more benign.

I'm having a fence installed around my yard so the cats won't be able
to get out, and it looks like Nipsy will at least get a chance to roam
a small part of the outdoors, and I'm glad about that.

Thanks for the purrs everyone, they clearly helped.


I'm glad for the good news. Purrs continue for Nipsy and for you.

Jill


Follow up visit was today, and he's doing ok. The ear is healing
nicely but he has to wear the collar for another week.We'll see the
vet again next week and hopefully the collar comes off.
  #7  
Old November 28th 17, 06:13 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk
external usenet poster
 
Posts: 2,251
Default Nipsy going for an operation

On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 14:51:30 +0000 (GMT), Judith Latham
wrote:

In article ,
dgk wrote:
On Sat, 18 Nov 2017 09:42:32 -0500, jmcquown
wrote:


On 11/13/2017 10:48 PM, dgk wrote:
Good and bad. He survived and the vet removed about an inch of stuff
that was clogging the ear. The bad news is that the growth extends
into the ear canal and it would take the specialist to get it all out,
and the vet doesn't recommend doing that for a 16 yo cat. Still, it
means that we probably can cure the infection that's been causing the
immediate problem

So Nipsy is wearing the soft collar and is not happy about that, but I
am to give him a liquid pain killer three times a day and rinse his
ear once per day. Getting him out from under the bed is tough at the
moment but that should get better as he recovers.

I don't know what the growth was but the vet is not sure that it's
cancer, so I'm just going to see how it progresses. He's had problems
with that ear for years so I'm leaning against the cancer and guessing
that it's something more benign.

I'm having a fence installed around my yard so the cats won't be able
to get out, and it looks like Nipsy will at least get a chance to roam
a small part of the outdoors, and I'm glad about that.

Thanks for the purrs everyone, they clearly helped.

I'm glad for the good news. Purrs continue for Nipsy and for you.

Jill


Follow up visit was today, and he's doing ok. The ear is healing
nicely but he has to wear the collar for another week.We'll see the
vet again next week and hopefully the collar comes off.


That's good news. Although I wouldn't think he thinks the collar is good
news. purr for all to continue to go ok.

Judith


Yes, and the collar is one of those things that I really think is
torture for them. If it's necessary then I have no choice, but I don't
see him going for the ear at all and it's keeping him from grooming.
So I took it off two days ago and I still don't see him attacking the
ear at all.

Well, the vet appointment is tomorrow - well today since it's after
midnight in Florida. I suspect the vet won't be too displeased as long
as Nipsy is doing ok.
 




Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Operation purrs please John Ross Mc Master Cat community 9 August 17th 11 02:21 AM
OT, new operation date Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 29 November 19th 06 11:33 PM
Care for Cat after operation? Cat Mom Cat health & behaviour 3 September 27th 05 12:09 AM
Operation Tom & Jerry Mognusticat Cat anecdotes 12 June 18th 05 08:40 PM
Dufus's operation Paul O. Cat health & behaviour 8 December 21st 04 04:50 AM


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 02:42 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2004-2017 CatBanter.
The comments are property of their posters.