Study confirms the role of slow half blink in cats in communication

Old October 21st 20, 03:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tigger[_2_]

Default Study confirms the role of slow half blink in cats in communication

This has been anecdotaly know for some time (I even read somehting about
zoo workers
doing this to make big cats feel more at ease). But now there's a study!

https://www.sciencealert.com/you-can...king-real-slow

Cats have a reputation for standoffishness, especially compared with dogs,
but if you find your feline friend a little hard to bond with, maybe
you're just not speaking their language. Never fear - new research has
shown that it's not so difficult. You just need to smile at them more.

Not the human way, by baring your teeth, but the cat way, by narrowing
your eyes, and blinking slowly. By observing cat-human interactions,
scientists were able to confirm that this expression makes cats - both
familiar and strange - approach and be receptive to humans.

"As someone who has both studied animal behaviour and is a cat owner, it's
great to be able to show that cats and humans can communicate in this
way," said psychologist Karen McComb of the University of Sussex in the UK.

"It's something that many cat owners had already suspected, so it's
exciting to have found evidence for it."

Old October 21st 20, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 10/20/2020 10:48 PM, Tigger wrote:
[...]

I wonder how much that study cost? We could have told them for free.

Jill
Old October 27th 20, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Tigger[_2_]

jmcquown wrote:
[...]

I wonder how much that study cost?Â* We could have told them for free.

Perhaps, but that would be classed as anecdotal evidence. It's nice,
though, to see such
is actually verifiable!

It might have been in this list that I saw a mention of zoo workers saying
this was
also a trait in big cats...