Need cooking advice

Old July 24th 08, 07:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

Default Need cooking advice

I have dozens of ripe tomatoes. I've been pruning like mad, but that
is just making the tomatoes bigger.

So its time to make salsa fresca.

I'll chop the tomato and onion in cubes that will fit on the chips.
(Also have lovely home grown red torpedo onions)
I'm not using celery. I may dice in a lemon cucumber. Not using
green bell pepper, didn't like the looks of the pasilla peppers, I am
going to chop in a yellow bell pepper for the color,

The powers that be pulled all jalapenos from the store. Both fresh
and canned. Now there has been one infected pepper identified in
Texas. California was growing their own. Besides no one from
California has been sick that hasn't eaten out of state.

So no jalapeņos. I picked a handful of serranos instead. How should
they compare to jalapeņos. Both as to the amount I need in the salsa,
and the degree to which I have to protect my hands.

I've got cilantro in the yard. Anything else I need or should
consider? Garlic yes/no? Lime Juice?
Jo

Old July 24th 08, 08:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christine K

Jofirey kirjoitti:
[...]

Not sure about the rest of your questions, but I found a pepper heat
scale online that states that serranos are hotter than jalapenos.
http://www.ushotstuff.com/Heat.Scale.htm

so you'd need less of the serranos to achieve the same level of hotness
as when using jalapenos.

--
Christine in Laitila, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old July 24th 08, 09:46 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Gandalf

On Wed, 23 Jul 2008 23:36:53 -0700, "Jofirey"
wrote:

[...]

Just about EVERYTHING tastes better with a good amount of garlic in it;
IMHO, of course.

I don't cook at all, but I buy that tiny diced garlic in glass jars, to
add to ...lots of things.
Old July 24th 08, 12:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Jofirey wrote:
So its time to make salsa fresca.

For a more complex flavor, toast the tomatoes, peppers, onion, and
garlic (unpeeled) in a dry skillet until nice and charred. Pulse in food
processor until it's chunky. Season with salt.
For the raw salsa, use the same ingredients but add cilantro and,
depending on the sweetness of the tomatoes, perhaps a squeeze of lime juice.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old July 24th 08, 02:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jane

On Jul 24, 2:36 am, "Jofirey" wrote:
[...]

Jo,

I love fresh tomatoes. Just slice and serve with lots of salt,
pepper,and
a little dollop of mayo. Yum.

Then there's bruchetta. Take a loaf of french bread (a baguette works
fine)
and slice. Toast, then brush lightly with olive oil and put your salsa
fresca
on top. It's an incredible taste sensation.

For what it's worth, salsa fresca is still wonderful without jalapeņos
(and
I LOVE jalapeņos!

Jane
- owned and operated by the Princess Rita
Old July 24th 08, 02:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew[_3_]

1 tablespoon fresh lime juice or 1 teaspoon red-wine vinegar

you realize that by not using jalapeņo or habanero you are basically
making pico de gallo

6 medium Tomatoes diced
1 medium Onion diced
1/4 cup fresh Cilantro chopped.
2 to 4 Fresh serrano or jalapeņo seeded and minced
garlic powder just a pinch * Salt to taste

Put all ingredients in a bowl add 1/2 cup of cold water, mix well. Let set a
few minutes.

Old July 24th 08, 03:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Wish you lived closer, have four flower pots with jalapeno peppers and they
are starting to set on, with the crazy weather it has ben tough going.

Old July 24th 08, 04:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
Jofirey wrote:
So its time to make salsa fresca.

For a more complex flavor, toast the tomatoes, peppers, onion, and
garlic (unpeeled) in a dry skillet until nice and charred. Pulse in
food processor until it's chunky. Season with salt.
For the raw salsa, use the same ingredients but add cilantro and,
depending on the sweetness of the tomatoes, perhaps a squeeze of
lime juice.

--

I hadn't thought of the lime in relation to the tomatoes. And home
grown tomatoes can tend to be sweet.

I'll try the toasted veggies in a week or so. I think I'd like that
better than a totally raw salsa.

I have five tomato plants and they are running me ragged. Loaded with
tomatoes and growing like crazy. I try to stay on top of pruning the
best/worst ones back to the fruit will get larger and so they won't
escape their garden any more than they already have.

The new plant for me (so far) is a 'celebrity. Lovely red meaty
fruit. The 'early girl' isn't as tasty but is trying to set records
for being prolific.

Jo

Old July 24th 08, 07:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Jane wrote:

I love fresh tomatoes. Just slice and serve with lots of salt,
pepper,and a little dollop of mayo. Yum.

My favorite tomato salad recipe:

* Slice the tomatoes. If they're really big, you might want to cut the
slices in half or even quarters. Arrange on a plate.

* Drizzle some olive oil on top, sprinkle with salt and pepper

* Add some fresh garlic (I use a garlic press)

* Fresh basil

* Fresh mozzarella (the kind that's stored in water)

* Kalamata olives

Then let it sit for at least a half-hour, so all the juices soak in.

--
Joyce ^..^

Old July 24th 08, 08:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jofirey

wrote in message
Jane wrote:

I love fresh tomatoes. Just slice and serve with lots of salt,
pepper,and a little dollop of mayo. Yum.

My favorite tomato salad recipe:

* Slice the tomatoes. If they're really big, you might want to cut
the
slices in half or even quarters. Arrange on a plate.

* Drizzle some olive oil on top, sprinkle with salt and pepper

* Add some fresh garlic (I use a garlic press)

* Fresh basil

* Fresh mozzarella (the kind that's stored in water)

* Kalamata olives

Then let it sit for at least a half-hour, so all the juices soak in.

I'm looking forward to doing this with my Cherokee tomatoes when they
get ripe. They are a large slicing tomato and are Purple with some
green streaks when they are ripe. A heritage variety and
exceptionally good.

Jo