New cat and getting sleep

Old April 5th 07, 06:04 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
IBen Getiner

Default New cat and getting sleep

On Apr 4, 1:13?pm, wrote:
On Apr 4, 5:55 am, "IBen Getiner" wrote:

On Apr 2, 1:19?pm, "Matthew" wrote:

First the furball is training you very well. ?Just like a child you are
enforcing bad behavior is what you are doing. ?For me I don't mind when they
wake me up to be loved on but when I need my sleep I close the door. ?Which
they are not happy about but I broke them of the habit.

Now here's a person with common sense. A dying breed, I'm afraid.

IBen

Finding people on Usenet with pleasant manners is even harder than
finding common sense.

Then you've come to the right place. If you want to keep that streak
alive, that is...

When I posted asking for advice I was unsure whether to be firm and
set a pattern or be lenient with a cat that has been poorly treated
before.

Hmm... I see.. Be firm (but not mean). Firmness is good in this
situation because it simply means that you will allow the cat to be
alone and away from you. It entails nothing more.Unless either one of
you is suicidal, that is.

I got answers in favor of both methods. This hasn't made the
issue seem much clearer.

What do you want, Enma...? To get a good night's sleep or face each
day having to use toothpicks to prop your eyelids open with? Cats are
nocturnal creatures. Don't let them get you on their schedules. It's
just like what they say about infants. You gotta let them cry once in
a while. Otherwise... well, it would be just like what you got going
here now.. No pet is worth an addiction to sleeping pills. Your
naturally occurring sleep cycle is one of the most valuable things you
have, so take good care of it!

However, I do very much appreciate everyone taking the time to give
advice and make suggestions about ways to make the settling in process
smoother.

You're quite welcome. Come back any time. Until them, I'm gonna get
right on these people who have been exhibiting all these poor manners
in here lately. We're going to get to the bottom of this krap before
any more damage is overdone.

Good luck, and remember... J_L_K_C...... (Just Let Kitty Cry

IBen Getiner

Old April 5th 07, 01:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bookie

On 5 Apr, 05:51, "IBen Getiner" wrote:
On Apr 4, 3:18?pm, "bookie" wrote:

On 4 Apr, 18:20, wrote:

On Apr 3, 11:09 pm, "bookie" wrote:

do youhave any photos to show us?
Bookie

I do have photos. Thank you for asking.

http://s175.photobucket.com/albums/w147/ewallace25/

she is gorgeous!!!!! what a fluff bucket! it woudl take just one quiet
miaow and a look from those huge eyes and i woud be putty in her paws,
no wonder you are finding the tough love approach impossible. oh god,
just give in and give her what she wnats, she has had a hard life and
deserves to be pampered and spoilt for the rest of her life can sleep
when you are dead, what a sweet little darling, just look at those
eyes!!!!! how could anyone resist?

bookie

Especially these guys......

http://sirius.2kat.net/cats.html- Hide quoted text -

thats ****ing sick, how anyone can (a) eat them or (b) keep them in
such nasty conditions is beyond me. thanks for bringing this to my
attention though, i will be following the links to the petitions and
writing letters accordingly (which was probably not your intention
when you posted the link but hey ho!)

have to go and kiss my pusscat who is streatched out on the bed behind
me exposing her soft white tummy to the world, all relaxed, not
captive, not in pain, not in distress, oh god i wish i could wave a
magic wand and make sure every cat inthe world could be inthe same
state as her (minus the hyperthyroidism of course)

bookie

Old April 5th 07, 09:33 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ron Herfurth

wrote in message
oups.com...
I just got a cat from the humaine society, and in many ways she is a
very well behaved cat. I've been impressed with how easily she has
settled in. The one problem I've had is that she goes from being quiet
in the day to being very vocal at night. She craves attention, and at
night she wakes me up to get it (over and over again). I want to show
her that she has a permanent home and that I love her, but I want to
stop this behaviour from being a regular thing.

Any advice?

Keep her in the bedroom. Scratch her or ignore her as you wish, but soon
enough she'll settle down or decide to sleep somehere else in the house.

And all too soon you'll miss her waking you up at night.
Voice of experience.
ron

Oh for some sleep! sandra Cat anecdotes 22 July 2nd 06 11:34 PM
Let me Sleep?!? Maryeli Cat health & behaviour 3 March 7th 06 02:32 AM
Trying to sleep Annie Wxill Cat anecdotes 0 March 26th 05 05:54 PM
Sleep Yowie Cat anecdotes 14 November 8th 04 11:53 PM
Let me sleep!! jmcquown Cat anecdotes 6 October 25th 04 05:13 PM