Pets' Fate After Involuntary Psychiatric Commitment

Old July 5th 04, 12:41 PM
Cowa Bungie

Default Pets' Fate After Involuntary Psychiatric Commitment

Today I'm not posting about my cat. Do I ever wish I were. I'd like
to know if anyone on this group can tell me what would/will happen
under the following circumstances: An alcoholic family member who is a
pet-collector (no cats; two dogs; more than fifteen birds) is
indigent, refusing contact with family, and possibly may have to be
committed for psychiatric observation against her will.

If she wants "revenge" against family members for the commitment and
tells the authorities who take her into custody that we are not
allowed into her house (the only people 1) willing, 2) *very*
interested, and 3) financially able to care for all these animals for
an indefinite period), what will happen to them? Will the local
humane society immediately seize them?

I'm heartsick beyond belief this morning and don't know how much more
I can stand of this unbearable situation. FWIW, we are assuming the
animals aren't being abused/neglected, but since the relative at this
point will not allow us into her home, we can't tell for sure if
either she or the animals are eating.
Old July 5th 04, 06:03 PM
Mary

Will the local
humane society immediately seize them?

Here in Los Angeles when someone is arrested, dies, goes to the hospital...the
animals go to the city or county shelter. They are put into kennels next to the
stray and lost animals. The cats get URIs. The dogs get kennel cough. When the
person is cognizant, the city or county tries to get them to sign the animals
over to the shelter so they can be euthanized or adopted out. They are
generally sick by then so no one wants them and they get euthanized. They don't
treat URI or kennel cough in LA City or county shelters. They just euthanize
asap so the animals don't give it to others.

Is there any other way you can get a stranger to do an intervention? And, if
she's taking care of the animals and herself, does it matter that she doesn't
want to contact the family? That's not grounds for having someone undergo a 72
hr. watch. Here in LA they must commit a crime in order or act totally insane
in public to go in for a 72 hr. watch.

Old July 5th 04, 07:52 PM
Dennis Carr

On Mon, 05 Jul 2004 04:41:13 -0700, Cowa Bungie wrote:

If she wants "revenge" against family members for the commitment and
tells the authorities who take her into custody that we are not
allowed into her house...

(Note: I am not a lawyer)

Usually if you're taken in on a 5[123]50 charge (involuntary
psychiatric evaluation), you're considered a danger to yourself and/or
others to one degree or another - to give you an idea, a 5150 is when
you're placed under an eval for 72 hours, where a 5350 is "indefinite"
and a last resort.

But as such, I don't think that you would have the rights to those
demands, and unfortunately I forsee a scenario similar to what Mary
described. Your mileage may vary (as I understand it, Los Angeles
county is very strict insofar as animal control goes).

--
Dennis Carr - KE6ISF | I may be out of my mind,
http://www.dennis.furtopia.org | But I have more fun that way.

Old July 6th 04, 12:58 AM
Cowa Bungie

Luvskats, Mary, and Dennis:

Thank you for your compassionate and informed responses. I have been
in contact with the relative today and had a glimmer of hope from her
when she said she'll "consider" going for counseling. And Crisis
Management has agreed to make a home visit and *try*--try--to gain
access to the interior, to check up on the animals.

From the animals' point of view, volitional counseling (as opposed to
court ordered) makes all the difference in the world, as--something
you've pointed out--legal incompetence of whatever sort makes the
state legally liable for matters that may strike the mentally ill as
extraneous; but animal neglect or endangerment is a crime in my state
(Pennsylvania).

Everyone who reads this post tonight, please pray to whatever God or
Divine Being you believe in to convince my relative not only is she
not alone in the world, she is the *mother* to nearly twenty helpless
beings whose welfare depends upon her willingness just to admit she is
in need of sobriety and mental health help.

I will keep the group posted on the progress of this horrible horrible
situation. Whatever your sorrows tonight, thank God you do not have
to deal with the the combined burden of an infantile addicted human
and animals who by their nature will always be our mutual infants.