Tips for Drinkwell Fountain Owners

Old June 18th 07, 07:07 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

Default Tips for Drinkwell Fountain Owners

I buy authentic Drinkwell filters (a 3-pak) on eBay from a user whose handle
is 'debnroo'. It's cheaper than buying them at PetCo or Petsmart and
they've always offered free shipping.

Oh, and Kajikit! Pay particular attention to the instructions about
removing the motor and cleaning it when you clean the fountain (I clean my
fountain once a week). Otherwise it can burn out and then you really
*would* have a $35 cat toy. You can buy a cheap long skinny brush wherever
they sell aquarium supplies. A small straight toothbrush will also work.
And don't forget to remove the "impeller" (the little propeller thing).
It's held in place by a magnet and pulls out easily. You need to clean the
inside of the motor where the impeller fits; that's where it gets gunked up.

Jill

Old June 18th 07, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

They also make cleaning kits especially to fit Drinkwell fountains. I got
this one http://www.thecatconnection.com/Drin...aning-Kit.html but you
can find even cheaper ones out there like this one
http://www.thepamperedpetmart.com/Me...e=Shopping.com
which is basically the same but without the plastic handles.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old June 18th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

On Mon, 18 Jun 2007 13:07:39 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

I buy authentic Drinkwell filters (a 3-pak) on eBay from a user whose handle
is 'debnroo'. It's cheaper than buying them at PetCo or Petsmart and
they've always offered free shipping.

Oh, and Kajikit! Pay particular attention to the instructions about
removing the motor and cleaning it when you clean the fountain (I clean my
fountain once a week). Otherwise it can burn out and then you really
*would* have a $35 cat toy. You can buy a cheap long skinny brush wherever
they sell aquarium supplies. A small straight toothbrush will also work.
And don't forget to remove the "impeller" (the little propeller thing).
It's held in place by a magnet and pulls out easily. You need to clean the
inside of the motor where the impeller fits; that's where it gets gunked up.

I got them a 'freshflow' fountain not a Drinkwell (that was what the
Pet Supermaket sells...) it doesn't actually 'waterfall' the water, it
slides it down a chute so it doesn't make any noise, but aside from
that they're probably identical inside...
Old June 18th 07, 10:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

wrote:

I buy authentic Drinkwell filters (a 3-pak) on eBay from a user
whose handle is 'debnroo'. It's cheaper than buying them at PetCo
or Petsmart and they've always offered free shipping.

Oh, and Kajikit! Pay particular attention to the instructions about
removing the motor and cleaning it when you clean the fountain (I
clean my fountain once a week). Otherwise it can burn out and then
you really *would* have a $35 cat toy.

I got them a 'freshflow' fountain not a Drinkwell (that was what the
Pet Supermaket sells...) it doesn't actually 'waterfall' the water, it
slides it down a chute so it doesn't make any noise, but aside from
that they're probably identical inside...

Could be. Read the instructions carefully. There has to be a motor
propelling that water up to the chute and it's bound to require cleaning.

Jill

Old June 18th 07, 11:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Karen AKA Kajikit

wrote:

I buy authentic Drinkwell filters (a 3-pak) on eBay from a user
whose handle is 'debnroo'. It's cheaper than buying them at PetCo
or Petsmart and they've always offered free shipping.

Oh, and Kajikit! Pay particular attention to the instructions about
removing the motor and cleaning it when you clean the fountain (I
clean my fountain once a week). Otherwise it can burn out and then
you really *would* have a $35 cat toy.

I got them a 'freshflow' fountain not a Drinkwell (that was what the
Pet Supermaket sells...) it doesn't actually 'waterfall' the water, it
slides it down a chute so it doesn't make any noise, but aside from
that they're probably identical inside...

Could be. Read the instructions carefully. There has to be a motor
propelling that water up to the chute and it's bound to require cleaning.

The instructions said to clean the inside part out once a month and to
use filtered or bottled water in it if you had hard water... (we do,
so I filled it out of our Britta jug.)

Old June 19th 07, 12:36 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown

wrote:

[...]

I clean the motor every time I clean the fountain (once a week) and I'd
recommend that simply because it may be easy to forget to do on a monthly
basis.

I just recently replaced Persia's 6 year old (Drinkwell) fountain with a new
one I'd had stashed in the closet... it was running fine but getting harder
to clean. I doubt that makes any sense, but it's true.

I don't filter my drinking water because it's quite nice. It's not "hard"
and it's not "soft". A nice balance. I remember visiting my aunt & uncle
in Pennsylvania and their water was so soft I couldn't get shampoo to rinse
out of my hair. UGH! Not a problem here. Neither is the water too hard.
No bottled water for me!

Jill

Old June 19th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

CatNipped wrote:
They also make cleaning kits especially to fit Drinkwell fountains. I got
this one http://www.thecatconnection.com/Drin...aning-Kit.html but you

Hmmm... I just put mine in the dishwasher... except for the pump, of
course.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 19th 07, 03:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Victor Martinez

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
I got them a 'freshflow' fountain not a Drinkwell (that was what the
Pet Supermaket sells...) it doesn't actually 'waterfall' the water, it
slides it down a chute so it doesn't make any noise, but aside from
that they're probably identical inside...

That's the one we had! It just recently started making a lot of noise,
so we bought a new one, different brand.

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 19th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Victor Martinez" wrote in message
CatNipped wrote:
They also make cleaning kits especially to fit Drinkwell fountains. I
got this one http://www.thecatconnection.com/Drin...aning-Kit.html
but you

Hmmm... I just put mine in the dishwasher... except for the pump, of
course.

We don't run our dishwasher enough to be sure the fountain is cleaned and
then put right back out ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he

Old June 19th 07, 04:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
KMP

CatNipped wrote:
They also make cleaning kits especially to fit Drinkwell fountains. I
got this one http://www.thecatconnection.com/Drin...aning-Kit.html
but you

Hmmm... I just put mine in the dishwasher... except for the pump, of
course.

We don't run our dishwasher enough to be sure the fountain is cleaned and
then put right back out ;

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Victor M. Martinez
Send your spam he
Email me he

As far as I can see, our Drinkwell doesn't come apart. I rinse the dish
and the feeder section out every other day. Woodgie don't play in the
water, just drinks from the fountain occasionally. The pump isn't
exposed to the air or the water - why would it need to be cleaned? For
that matter, how? I don't get it...
Kathy