Spider central

Old June 14th 13, 12:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default Spider central

Normally I only see house spiders in the autumn when it's breeding season
but atm they are appearing somewhere in the house most days.
So I have big fluffy towel nearby to scoop them up if they are crawling up
the walls and flap it outside but I swear they are homing spiders.
Boyfie keeps his eye on the floor, and sorts out the ground attack with a
paw pat and a crunch as he eats them.
He will watch for ages if he sees one go under a piece of furniture, it's
sort of like mousing. Wait long enough without moving a muscle and they
think you are gone - but you are not - voila!

I think that with my putting outside strategy and Boyfie's ground attack
there are none left today. Or at least I can't see any...

Tweed

Old June 14th 13, 01:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Normally I only see house spiders in the autumn when it's breeding season
but atm they are appearing somewhere in the house most days.
So I have big fluffy towel nearby to scoop them up if they are crawling up
the walls and flap it outside but I swear they are homing spiders.
Boyfie keeps his eye on the floor, and sorts out the ground attack with a
paw pat and a crunch as he eats them.
He will watch for ages if he sees one go under a piece of furniture, it's
sort of like mousing. Wait long enough without moving a muscle and they
think you are gone - but you are not - voila!

I think that with my putting outside strategy and Boyfie's ground attack
there are none left today. Or at least I can't see any...

Tweed

Hopefully your invasion has stopped. I've got some spiders spinning
webs again on either side of the front door. The infusion of peppermint
oil didn't discourage them. Spraying the area with a hose doesn't stop
them. They keep building webs there. There are already egg sacks out
there. (sigh)

Jill
Old June 14th 13, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

Chestnut oil is supposed to be their least favourite but I'm not about to
pay loadsa money for it from the "don't like spiders? buy chestnut oil from
us" people.
It's supposed to be a good thing if spiders like your house, apparently
means it is free of pollution.
Once upon a time, I was very afraid of them but now I've braved up enough to
get them into a big fluffy towel. It has to be a big towel otherwise I
can't do it. I do not want to harm them just because I have a loathing
which I haven't entirely been able to control.

It does not matter how much I tell myself when faced with a big spider "it
cannot harm you" they freak me out.

Tweed

Old June 14th 13, 02:23 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

They freak me out too. That's why I bought peppermint oil. But it
didn't work. So no, I won't buy chestnut oil from those people who tout
all those natural deterrants. They don't work. It's like snake oil
salesmen. (A USIAN term for people who sold patent medicines in the
1800's that didn't do what they said they would do.)

I don't know what they heck else to do to keep them from coming in.

Jill
Old June 14th 13, 03:42 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Bastette

Christina Websell wrote:

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I'm pretty sure there's a biological component to the fear of snakes - many
people seem to have it and so do many other animals. I'm not so sure how
that works for spiders, though. I have a feeling that's a much more cultural
thing. Seems like in some places, people are a lot more easygoing about bugs,
unless they know one to be dangerous, and then they seem to know what to do
to avoid them. I don't think any other species of animal has a spider phobia,
either (that I know of). So that one is probably taught.

But whether you were taught or you inherited it genetically, you have it
now, and it's not so easy to get rid of. You're doing a pretty good job, IMO!

--
Joyce

Hi, this is the Sylvia stress reduction hotline. At the sound of
the beep, repeat after me: "This week, let someone else strive for
excellence." -- Nicole Hollander
Old June 14th 13, 04:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sjouke Burry[_2_]

On 14.06.13 3:23, jmcquown wrote:
cut
They freak me out too. That's why I bought peppermint oil. But it
didn't work. So no, I won't buy chestnut oil from those people who tout
all those natural deterrants. They don't work. It's like snake oil
salesmen. (A USIAN term for people who sold patent medicines in the
1800's that didn't do what they said they would do.)

I don't know what they heck else to do to keep them from coming in.

Jill

Well.... They like healthy air and environment ,
so, congratulations!!!
You have a clean, healthy home.........
Old June 14th 13, 02:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/13/2013 11:29 PM, Sjouke Burry wrote:
On 14.06.13 3:23, jmcquown wrote:
cut
They freak me out too. That's why I bought peppermint oil. But it
didn't work. So no, I won't buy chestnut oil from those people who tout
all those natural deterrants. They don't work. It's like snake oil
salesmen. (A USIAN term for people who sold patent medicines in the
1800's that didn't do what they said they would do.)

I don't know what they heck else to do to keep them from coming in.

Jill

Well.... They like healthy air and environment ,
so, congratulations!!!
You have a clean, healthy home.........

Ha! House cleaning is on the very bottom rung of the ladder in my world.

Jill
Old June 14th 13, 02:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 6/13/2013 10:42 PM, Bastette wrote:
I'm pretty sure there's a biological component to the fear of snakes - many
people seem to have it and so do many other animals. I'm not so sure how
that works for spiders, though. I have a feeling that's a much more cultural
thing. Seems like in some places, people are a lot more easygoing about bugs,
unless they know one to be dangerous, and then they seem to know what to do
to avoid them. I don't think any other species of animal has a spider phobia,
either (that I know of). So that one is probably taught.

I think Tweed is doing a great job conquering this fear by grabbing them
up in a towel and tossing them out. I don't see really *big* spiders
around here. I'm not really afraid of spiders but I sure don't like
them in my house.

As for snakes, just the other day I was sitting here in the corner of
the living room, typing away. I glanced out the glass door and saw a
large black snake was slithering across the patio. I'm not
exaggerating, that sucker was over 3 feet (about a meter) long.

I'm glad it was too hot for me to be sitting outside. I probably would
have screamed like a girl... wait, I AM a girl! These black snakes
aren't poisonous but I sure don't want one slithering over my feet.

The thing I have an absolute horror of is Palmetto bugs. They look like
really large cockroaches, but they can fly! shudder

Jill
Old June 14th 13, 08:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Nik Simpson[_2_]

On 6/14/2013 8:17 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

Probably a King Snake or a Black Racer, both are good to have in the
garden, harmless to humans and pets, but will eat the young of poisonous
snakes like Copper Heads.

--
Nik simpson

Old June 14th 13, 11:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"jmcquown" wrote in message
[...]

I'm sorry, and don't want to belittle anyone's fear of snakes, but the idea
of a snake that small being considered large strikes my funnybone. The
rattlesnakes that grow in the hills around here easily reach twice that
size. I avoid poisonous snakes, and any snake if I don't know whether or
not it's poisonous. However, I like the nonpoisonous ones, and have held
them several times. Once I was one of several people holding a snake that
was about 20 feet (6 or 7 metres) long. Another time I held a little one,
about one and a half times the size of yours, for about 20 minutes. It was
draped across my shoulders, and wound its tail around the temple of my
glasses. When the owner went to take it back, I had to take off my glasses
so we could unwind it. I quite enjoyed that.

Joy