Our Alarming Night

Old November 3rd 15, 03:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

Default Our Alarming Night

On Mon, 26 Oct 2015 22:03:23 -0400, jmcquown
wrote:

Bears are more in the northeast towards Canada. Cougars/mountain lions
are more common in the southwest. There are some wolves in the southern
states but they aren't around like they used to be.

Jill

There are panthers in central Florida. I haven't seen any but I've
driven across the middle of Florida and there are signs warning about
them.
Old November 3rd 15, 09:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"MaryL" wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote in message

I live in the "piney woods" region of East Texas. I have never seen a
cougar or bear, but there are numerous reports that they have been
migrating into East Texas. Coyotes are the biggest problem for small
domestic animals in this area. They are numerous and are frequently
seen
(and heard) even in urban communities. I was talking to my neighbor
this
afternoon. She has 4 cats that are indoor/outdoor cats. Two of them
have
disappeared, and she fears that coyotes may have gotten them. She had 5
cats until recently, but one of them was killed on the road last week.
hope for the best for her, but this sounds very bad. Coyotes have been
seen around here.

MaryL

Coyotes seem to be half way between foxes and wolves. I know I have
foxes
coming every night to examine my chicken huts to see if I've forgotten to
shut them up (bad luck there you foxes) and when Boyfie was younger, he'd
be
out and about chasing them off. But now he is getting older, I don't
allow
it. I keep him in overnight. He doesn't like it much but he needs to
accept that his meowmie knows best.

"Some" foxes will kill cats, they are not going to get the chance.
I hope your friend's cats come back, but do you think it's likely that
coyotes have eaten them? It does seem that it's very possible. How
sad.
Tweed

Yes, it is very possible that they have been killed by coyotes. It often
happens to cats and even small dogs.

My grandparents were farmers, and my grandmother raised chickens (laying
hens, several varieties). She really loved her chickens. I can still
picture her "clucking" to them as she scattered feed and grit from a
bucket. She would call them every evening, and they would follow her into
the chicken coop. Just like you, that was to protect them from the foxes.
Of course, this was a great many years ago. My aunt is the only remaining
sibling from my mother's family, and she is now 91 years old.

MaryL

So if coyotes are killing cats and small dogs, is there a control program at
all?
Tweed

Old November 3rd 15, 11:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

"MaryL" wrote in message
"MaryL" wrote in message

[...]

None, as far as I know. They are wild animals, and residents could
legally shoot them but not inside town (no shooting permitted within
town limits). I have never heard of attacks against people in this
area, but they are a menace to small animals. They can occasionally be
heard howling, so they are not far off. A hav-a-heart trap could be
used, but I am not aware of any organized program.

I don't want to exaggerate. We don't have small animals disappearing on
a daily basis. For example, the neighbor I mentioned has had those cats
for about 6 years, and she lets them go outside "at will." But now it
seems that two of them have disappeared and *may* be victims of coyotes.

MaryL

Old November 16th 15, 05:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
dgk

On Tue, 3 Nov 2015 17:12:33 -0600, MaryL
wrote:

None, as far as I know. They are wild animals, and residents could
legally shoot them but not inside town (no shooting permitted within
town limits). I have never heard of attacks against people in this
area, but they are a menace to small animals. They can occasionally be
heard howling, so they are not far off. A hav-a-heart trap could be
used, but I am not aware of any organized program.

I don't want to exaggerate. We don't have small animals disappearing on
a daily basis. For example, the neighbor I mentioned has had those cats
for about 6 years, and she lets them go outside "at will." But now it
seems that two of them have disappeared and *may* be victims of coyotes.

MaryL

We take away all of their habitat and then complain that they're
coming near us.
Old November 19th 15, 03:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL[_2_]

wrote:

None, as far as I know. They are wild animals, and residents could
legally shoot them but not inside town (no shooting permitted within
town limits). I have never heard of attacks against people in this
area, but they are a menace to small animals. They can occasionally be
heard howling, so they are not far off. A hav-a-heart trap could be
used, but I am not aware of any organized program.

I don't want to exaggerate. We don't have small animals disappearing on
a daily basis. For example, the neighbor I mentioned has had those cats
for about 6 years, and she lets them go outside "at will." But now it
seems that two of them have disappeared and *may* be victims of coyotes.

MaryL

We take away all of their habitat and then complain that they're
coming near us.

That's very true. Climate change and other environmental issues may
also be a factor.

MaryL

Old December 25th 15, 04:58 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 10/27/2015 12:23 AM, Bastette wrote:

Mountain lions live in really diverse climates along the western parts
of the Americas, from western Canada down to Chile. They, or a close
relative of them, used to live in eastern US as well, but went almost
extinct after Europeans settled there. I hear they're coming back, though!

Very late reply but the wolf/coyote hybrid is more common in the east
than full bred wolves. They are more daring, too, which is probably why
we don't see wolves as often as coyotes. The coyote/wolf hybrid is
larger than a coyote but is as fierce and more opportunistic than a wolf.

--
Cheryl-

Boyfriend had an alarming day Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 7 October 28th 15 10:19 AM
Until last night Christina Websell Cat anecdotes 2 April 30th 15 08:06 PM
Last night Joy Cat anecdotes 19 September 7th 14 05:23 PM
The night before night before Christmas fun GaDragonfly Cat anecdotes 8 January 8th 08 12:00 AM
Sunday night was biff night Helen Wheels Cat anecdotes 8 July 8th 05 04:37 AM