Kitten fever

Old August 11th 03, 02:22 PM
Karen Chuplis

Default Kitten fever

in article , Gandalf at
wrote on 8/11/03 1:05 AM:

I went to meet my new co-worker's wife and 2 young daughters: Aurora, a
very sweet 2 YO with big blue eyes, who never stopped talking, although
I only got about 1 word in 5, and Genevive, at 5 weeks, who mostly
slept.

But I completely *forgot* that their LH black cat had 10 week old
kittens!

Three absolutely adorable, and virtually identical LH brown tabbies,
with just a little white around their mouths, and a LH black kitten.

It's been a *long* time since I've gotten to play with a litter of
kittens! They are *so* adorable!

At one point, I had all three tabbies on the sofa on their backs, giving
them tummy rubs. As I only have 2 hands, I had to switch between the
three. They would try to hold on to my fingers with their tiny, needle
sharp claws, when I would switch to the next kitten. And 2 of them would
alternately lick, and softly bite at my thumb and I rubbed their soft,
warm little tummies.

Two kittens are spoken for, but they would love me to take one or both
of the remaining 2 female tabby kittens.

So tempting!!

But I doubt my resident queen Kenzie would take kindly to a new kitten
in the house; she's been an only kitty most of her life, except the 2
years she shared the house with my beloved Blizzard (RB) Kenzie never
did make friends with her. They just avoided each other, mostly.

Poor Blizzard, she lived her whole life playing and sleeping with Lucky
(RB) my tuxedo sweetheart, and when Lucky was gone, she wouldn't accept
a new cat, and lived out her remaining old age with only me for company,
when I was home, that is.

Sigh..... I'm gone for so long at work; usually 12 hours a day. Kenzie
doesn't seem to mind, but a kitten needs to have their human around for
proper socialization. It wouldn't be fair to leave a kitten home alone
with a full grown cat who almost certainly would not like a new kitten
*at all*.

Oh well, perhaps I'll dream of kittens tonight. I hope so.....

~~~~~~~~
Life without cats would be only marginally worth living.
TC, and the unmercifully, relentlessly, sweet calico kitty, Kenzie.

- Robert Heinlein

I bet she'd get along with a boy kitty......

Karen

Old August 11th 03, 04:08 PM
Victor M. Martinez

Gandalf wrote:
Sigh..... I'm gone for so long at work; usually 12 hours a day. Kenzie
doesn't seem to mind, but a kitten needs to have their human around for
proper socialization. It wouldn't be fair to leave a kitten home alone
with a full grown cat who almost certainly would not like a new kitten
*at all*.

If you take the two kittens in a couple of weeks or so, they'll be properly
socialized already. By having two, they will entertain (i.e. fight) each
other and might leave your older cat alone. Most of the time anyway.
It might work...

--
Victor M. Martinez

http://www.che.utexas.edu/~martiv

Old August 11th 03, 04:40 PM
polonca12000

What a tough decision for you, Gandalf.
Hugs,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Gandalf" wrote in message
snip But I completely *forgot* that their LH black cat had 10 week old
kittens!

Old August 11th 03, 04:46 PM
Marina

"Victor M. Martinez" wrote

If you take the two kittens in a couple of weeks or so, they'll be

properly
socialized already. By having two, they will entertain (i.e. fight) each
other and might leave your older cat alone. Most of the time anyway.
It might work...

This was exactly what I was thinking. I think Tish can testify to this. Her
Spock and Persephone play with each other and leave Ted alone.

Good luck. I hope you decide to give them a home. )

--
Marina

Old August 12th 03, 01:56 AM
Gandalf

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003 08:22:58 -0500, Karen Chuplis
wrote:

in article , Gandalf at
wrote on 8/11/03 1:05 AM:

[...]

Both kittens are girls.

And to make it even tougher, Kenzie was declawed when I got her. Since I
could *never* declaw a cat, I'd have one cat that's declawed, and one or
2 young, active, vigorous kitties who aren't.

Kenzie wouldn't be able to defend herself, if they ganged up on her.

She's such a sweetie, but not very active. She sleeps a lot, and comes
and gets attention when she need it; or I just scoop he up for some real
scritches. But running jumping are something she just doesn't do. She's
a house cat, content to sit on her little window ledge and watch the
yard, or just sleep there.

And Kenzie is *so* unbelievably well-behaved. She never gets into
mischief. But a kitten or 2.... we all know what they get into:
*everything*!

Twenty or so years ago when I got Blizzard, my tiny little house, all 5
rooms of it, were fairly orderly. But I'm a packrat, it now it is fairly
cluttered. It would be nearly impossible to kitten proof the house, as I
was able to do when Blizzard was little. I have a lot of electrical wire
and related electrical equipment around: wires which could be deadly for
a curious kitten

It would be *so* much fun to have kittens about, but of course, Kenzie
was here first, and I can't sacrifice her happiness, (and safety!),
because I bring a pair of (little monster) kittens home.

Sigh.... Perhaps I'll get to visit the kittens again, before they are
gone. I hope so......