The neighbors' dogs

Old March 24th 06, 05:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default The neighbors' dogs

In the house closest to mine lives a couple and three dogs. Their yard is
not fenced, so the dogs only get to go out with the people, and mostly only
when they need to relieve themselves. I did not realize until the other
night that they are letting their dogs poop in my yard. I realized it
because I was out there and stepped in some, without seeing or feeling it,
then tracked it through my house before I noticed it.

I didn't know what to do about it at first. In fact it took a while to dawn
on me where this poop had come from, being that I'm not used to having
neighbors so close. I did already have to change bedrooms because the guy
walks the dogs every morning around 7 and is always shouting at them because
he doesn't use leashes. Also, they play loud music that can be heard in the
one bedroom I was using.

Having to change bedrooms I didn't mind much, but having to 'watch my step'
in my own yard is too much. I left a friendly note on the guy's car about
what happened and asked him to please not let them keep doing this, or else
clean up after them.

There is a leash law in this town. Those dogs should not be allowed to run
loose outside, no matter if the owner is nearby. If I keep finding doggie-do
in my yard, should I complain to the authorities, or what? I sure don't
wanna make enemies of the folks next door!

Old March 24th 06, 09:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

just image how you would feel if you didn't report it and they attacked
a child

Old March 24th 06, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 22:05:29 -0600, "Pat"
wrote:

There is a leash law in this town. Those dogs should not be allowed to run
loose outside, no matter if the owner is nearby. If I keep finding doggie-do
in my yard, should I complain to the authorities, or what? I sure don't
wanna make enemies of the folks next door!

You can't make enemies of such people - they have already declared
war on you and the rest of the neighborhood.

--
T.E.D. )
Old March 24th 06, 03:16 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Do you have any other neighbors close to you or close to them so if you made
an anonymous call they wouldn't know who it was from? Before doing that I
would try and determine if he has control over them when they are not on a
leash. If he is shouting at them he probably does not have control which
could be a potentially dangerous situation and the problem is bigger than dog
poop in your yard. If he does have control and you are still getting poop in
your yard after the note I would be still be tempted to call with a complaint.
Nice relations with your neighbors are great but if they are literally
s***ing on you, and know they are, the line needs to be drawn or it will get
worse.

Old March 24th 06, 03:35 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
[...]

If there is a leash law, then there is also the possibility that there is
also a bylaw that states that if the animal does get loose and poo-poo
(probably not worded as such in the bylaws) on someone else's property, the
owner of the pet(s) is responsible for cleaning it up as the property owner
has the right to enjoy their property without worrying about dog-poo (or
being attacked by other people's dogs).

If he continues 'walking' his dogs without leashes, remind him of the leash
law, and that his yelling is bothering your sleep (there is probably also a
noise ordinance, check into that too) - and if that doesn't help - by all
means, report him.

We've had problems with neighbor's dog(s) getting into our yard, but we've
never reported it as *they* have made the effort to confine the dogs to
*their* yard by plugging holes in *our* fence (old farm fencing that was on
our property line when we bought the place) where it touches their property.
Another neighbor's dog occasionally gets into our yard, but they are quick
to try and get him/her back. I actually don't think it's our neighbor's
dog, I think it belongs to a friend of his, and his friend brings him over
occasionally. One time, the friend's teenage son's were traipsing around
our house trying to corral the pup - in the pouring rain!!!! Pup, of
course, thought it was a fun game and led them on a merry chase throughout
the neighborhood.

Old March 24th 06, 08:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-24, zaax penned:
just image how you would feel if you didn't report it and they
attacked a child

I didn't see anything in Pat's post about violent behavior ... did
you?

Just not a big fan of "think of the children!" reflex responses.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old March 24th 06, 10:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"zaax" wrote in message
oups.com...
just image how you would feel if you didn't report it and they attacked
a child

What?? A neighbour's dog poops in your yard and the next thing seems to be
your imagination thinks it might attack a child??
Why is this? I don't follow your reasoning.
I cannot see any connection at all between a dog pooping where it maybe
shouldn't and the possibility of it attacking a child. Perhaps you can, but
I can't.
Because there is no connection whatsoever ///

Tweed
(please don't start me on this..)

Old March 25th 06, 02:05 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-03-24, zaax penned:
just image how you would feel if you didn't report it and they
attacked a child

I didn't see anything in Pat's post about violent behavior ... did
you?

Just not a big fan of "think of the children!" reflex responses.

I agree. if anyone has a child and they are concerned, they can call
the cops themselves. Not all dogs are vicious or aggressive toward
children.

-L.

Old March 25th 06, 03:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Hey Pat,
It could well be that these neighbors are just careless and unthinking
rather than deliberate in their actions. Does it look like the folks
that lived in your house before you cared about how the lawn looked?
Maybe they just never said anything about the dogs? I agree a one on
one visit is best at this point...you guys have to live next doot to
each other. Let us know what happens!
PatM

Old March 25th 06, 05:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"PatM" wrote

It could well be that these neighbors are just careless and unthinking
rather than deliberate in their actions. Does it look like the folks
that lived in your house before you cared about how the lawn looked?
Maybe they just never said anything about the dogs? I agree a one on
one visit is best at this point...you guys have to live next doot to
each other. Let us know what happens!

They just moved in a few weeks before I did, they came from way out in the
country too. So they probably were not thinking about it until I mentioned
it.