Chloe has some personality issues...

Old September 9th 05, 04:20 AM
Brian Link

Default Chloe has some personality issues...

Chloe is my son's girlfriend's cat. Chloe and the girlfriend have
moved in with us for her senior year of high school.

Leaving that unorthodox situation aside..

Chloe is a six-year-old, front-declawed moggie. She's been living with
us for about a month. She has a nice little nest in the girlfriend's
room, is eating premium catfood and being well tended. She seems happy
in her room, though occasionally wants to bolt out and explore the
house.The household currently contains a 3yr old Bengal and an 11yr
old Maine-Coonish moggie.

She is behind a closed door, having escaped and confronted our moggie
over a week ago - no bites, but a lot of hissing. We have a
screen-door which is blocked off with cardboard on the outside of the
room, but she is completely sealed off at the moment. I squandered the
expert advice of Megan through my own incompetence, and am on my own
atm.

With my wife and my son's girlfriend, Chloe is very friendly and
passive. With me and my son, she's affectionate but flips out in a
second. I've lived with cats all my life, and can usually tell when a
cat is overstimulated, but Chloe is an enigma. Can a cat distinguish
male or female humans?

When Louis (the Bengal) howls, Chloe hisses. When Tiger (the moggie)
is merely sitting outside the door, she hisses. I'm wondering whether
she can truly be integrated, or whether she should just maintain in a
10X12 room until my son's girlfriend leaves for college next summer?

Chloe is the blue-eyed cat I asked about in a previous thread. I don't
know if she's vision or hearing disabled, and if this contributes to
her neurosis. The declawing probably has affected her, but her seeming
issues with men vs women is telling.

Any ideas? What should I look for? While our previous situation with a
just-neutered stray brought out the worst in Louis, he seems pretty
indifferent with Chloe - it's Tiger who seems most upset.

Thanks for any advice.

BLink
Old September 9th 05, 04:46 AM
Snittens

"Brian Link" wrote

Chloe is the blue-eyed cat I asked about in a previous thread. I don't
know if she's vision or hearing disabled, and if this contributes to
her neurosis. The declawing probably has affected her, but her seeming
issues with men vs women is telling.

I've never heard of blue-eyed cats being vision impaired either. Sorry I'm
kind of speed-reading posts, but is there a reason besides her neurotic
behavior that makes you think she can't see?

This is purely anecdotal, but I've suspected that some cats don't like men
because they were abused by a man. I have seen cats at the shelter that
have a clear preference for women and get tense when they are around men.
I've also seen cats that get scared of hands, feet, and brooms. Do you have
any reason to suspect she may have been abused by a man?

-Kelly

Old September 9th 05, 06:22 AM
Brian Link

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:46:36 -0400, "Snittens"
wrote:

"Brian Link" wrote

Chloe is the blue-eyed cat I asked about in a previous thread. I don't
know if she's vision or hearing disabled, and if this contributes to
her neurosis. The declawing probably has affected her, but her seeming
issues with men vs women is telling.

I've never heard of blue-eyed cats being vision impaired either. Sorry I'm
kind of speed-reading posts, but is there a reason besides her neurotic
behavior that makes you think she can't see?

This is purely anecdotal, but I've suspected that some cats don't like men
because they were abused by a man. I have seen cats at the shelter that
have a clear preference for women and get tense when they are around men.
I've also seen cats that get scared of hands, feet, and brooms. Do you have
any reason to suspect she may have been abused by a man?

-Kelly

The only thing I have to go on is the fact that the girlfriend's
foster brother would torment the cat - nothing serious, no physical
mistreatment, but a lot of teasing.

BLink
Old September 9th 05, 06:55 AM
meee

just a thought- is she deaf?? my dad's cat was white with blue eyes, and
stone deaf, couldn't hear a thing. I've never heard that blue eyed cats have
trouble seeing, but i have heard that they have trouble hearing. maybe it's
just one of those urban myth thingys- one for the mythbusters. anyone know?

Brian Link wrote in message
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 23:46:36 -0400, "Snittens"

"Brian Link" wrote