Mutual help

Old February 17th 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Default Mutual help

Take it from someone who lost four holly bushes, three rose bushes and 12
3ft high evergreens, it doesn't help even tying them on the bush itself.

bobblespin wrote:

wrote in

OK, so does anyone know *why* it works? Nobody knows how or why it

works, but the thousands of people it has "cured" don't care. Here's
one of the interesting sites:
http://www.reallans.com/mmml.shtml?/002240.shtml

Some say no Dial or Dove, yet others say it doesn't matter which

brand, they all work. One of my mom's friends with restless legs keeps
a bar of soap handy beside his tv chair. Sure is drug-free and
inexpensive.

The only non-hygiene use I'd previously heard of for Dial soap was to wrap
a few bars in sone sort of net (old nylon hosiery was suggested) and tie
them to your garden fence at intervals, to discourage deer from raiding
your kitchen garden. (I've no idea whether it works, I heard it from a
friend of mine who has a small farm in Northern Minnesota.)

Fascinating!

Joyce

Old February 18th 08, 02:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
mlbriggs

On Sat, 16 Feb 2008 15:03:37 -0800, Joy wrote:

"Mark Edwards" wrote in message

Gaah! Another leg cramp this morning. Also, another set of
thunderstorms.

After I massaged out te cramp, and stretched back out, Little Feet and
Little Boy came zooming onto the bed.

In exchange for protection from the scary thunder booms, they draped
themselves across my poor abused leg.

Works for me...

Hugs and Purrs,
Mark

I'm glad it does.

This sounds weird, but a doctor who has a regular column in my newspaper
says he has received letters from hundreds of people who found that
putting an unwrapped bar of soap under the bottom sheet of the bed, near
the leg area, prevented leg cramps. If you have a lot of them, it might
be worth trying.

Joy

I place unwrapped bars of soap in my dresser drawers. It keeps any musty
odor away. Sachet works too. I understand leg cramps are caused by lack
of calcium. MLB

Old February 18th 08, 05:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Rhonda[_3_]

mlbriggs wrote:

I place unwrapped bars of soap in my dresser drawers. It keeps any musty
odor away. Sachet works too. I understand leg cramps are caused by lack
of calcium. MLB

Yep, I stopped eating yogart daily and got horrible leg cramps. Calcium
supplements work if you're not getting enough in your diet.

Rhonda

Old February 18th 08, 09:15 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

mlbriggs wrote:
[...]

If you hang a bar of soap on your front door it stops lions coming in. I
tried it and it works, not a single lion entered the house. ;-)
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old February 18th 08, 12:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

Default Mutual help possible O.B.W

wrote in
:

OK, so does anyone know *why* it works?

..
..

Joyce

It's called the placebo effect. It is what makes drug testing so
difficult. People will invariably find relief where they are told it
will be found if they trust the source. If you read almost any drug
literature you will see the test results are compared to the placebo not
compared to nothing. Drug tests are done double blind so even the person
handing you the "bar of soap" wont know if it is dial or ivory. The
placebo always effects some relief so any fair test compares itself
against that. I enjoyed the link where a supposed college graduate AND
professional scientist said the bar of soap worked for them. It seems
even the scientist never heard of the scientific method.

Anyway what I am really getting at here is that bars of soap wont cure
RLS or cramps. If you want to cure cramps and RLS you should purhcase my
cramp-away pads. They have been clinically tested to relieve cramps.
You merely place the $20 pad on the floor in the next room from where you
sleep and cramps will be gone. A new pad once a month assures symptoms
never return. Just contact:

Outsider Industries
Gold will stay Avenue
Paymeecash, Mo 00000

please send cash!

Old February 18th 08, 01:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Ya know, I don't give a rats behind if it is mental, if it works and does
not further harm the person, that is the point. For years people laughed at
me for taking garlic to help prevent colds and a few other things. Now,
suddenly it is being given by some doctors. My grandfather took an aspirin
a die for years. Said it made "sense" to him to help thin blood as you got
older, he lived to be 95. Maybe it wasn't the aspirin but he at least was
trying something.
"Outsider" wrote in message
wrote in
:

OK, so does anyone know *why* it works?

.
.

Old February 18th 08, 02:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

Outsider wrote:

Anyway what I am really getting at here is that bars of soap wont cure
RLS or cramps. If you want to cure cramps and RLS you should purhcase my
cramp-away pads. They have been clinically tested to relieve cramps.
You merely place the $20 pad on the floor in the next room from where you
sleep and cramps will be gone. A new pad once a month assures symptoms
never return. Just contact:

Outsider Industries
Gold will stay Avenue
Paymeecash, Mo 00000

please send cash!

lol. good one, andy.

Old February 18th 08, 05:19 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Outsider

"Cheryl P." wrote in :

Outsider wrote:
wrote in
:

[...]

Mine work better! They cost $40!
Honestly, I overheard two men in a drugstore discussing the pros and
cons of some alleged cure for arthritis - 'Oh, yes, it really works.
Not the ones they sell here for $X, of course, but the ones they sell
at Other Store for $3X, they really work!

sigh And in a drugstore, too, where they could chat with a
pharmacist or pick up one of the public health brochures on common
ailments. OTOH, you can get a lot of, ummm, unproven cures in a
drugstore, and most of them aren't behind the counter with the
prescription drugs.

Cheryl

Yep, cost more, must be better.

Old February 19th 08, 02:20 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Granby wrote:

Take it from someone who lost four holly bushes, three rose bushes and 12
3ft high evergreens, it doesn't help even tying them on the bush itself.

Okay, point taken, although the gardens mentioned were those
growing veggies for human consumption. Are you sure it was
deer? I would have thought they would avoid both the thorns
on rose bushes and the sharp spiny leaves on holly!
Old February 19th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Granby wrote:

Ya know, I don't give a rats behind if it is mental, if it works and does
not further harm the person, that is the point. For years people laughed at
me for taking garlic to help prevent colds and a few other things. Now,
suddenly it is being given by some doctors. My grandfather took an aspirin
a die for years. Said it made "sense" to him to help thin blood as you got
older, he lived to be 95. Maybe it wasn't the aspirin but he at least was
trying something.

I'm with you - "anecdotal" evidence or not, "placebo effect"
or not, if it works for you, and isn't in some way harmful,
why let people talk you out of it? The longer one lives,
the more of the once scorned "old wives' remedies" one sees
come back into favor (often with supporting scientific
evidence)!

Mutual Lifesaving Pat Cat anecdotes 5 May 4th 05 01:26 PM
Mutual Grooming KellyH Cat health & behaviour 2 February 22nd 05 11:46 AM
mutual grooming Governor George Liquor Cat health & behaviour 18 November 29th 03 08:30 PM