Selena's turn

Old December 4th 03, 06:41 PM
Julie Cook

Default Selena's turn

I dropped Selena off this morning to have her teeth cleaned. She was so
pitiful this morning. I had to take the food up last night at midnight
so when I got up and went into the kitchen she and Hobbes followed me
into the kitchen thinking they were going to eat. I swept Selena up and
put her in the carrier then went back and got dressed. She mewed and
cried the entire way to the vet. I just wanted to turn around and take
her home and tell her she never had to go back there again. The vet was
certain that she'd lose at least 4 teeth and possibly a canine as well.
I just wish they'd call me and tell me she's all right!! There were four
of us dropping off cats this morning in the 10 minutes I was there so it
sounded like they had a full day of surgery so who knows when they'll
call me.

Hobbes did well during his dental. When I picked him up he was hissing
and growling at everyone. He lost one tooth but only needed 1/2 pain
killer that night. By morning he was feeling much better. I'm afraid
Selena will experience more pain than Hobbes did.

I have got to figure out a way to help Selena have better dental health.
These four will make 13 teeth she's lost now

Julie

Old December 4th 03, 07:05 PM
Marina

"Julie Cook" wrote

I have got to figure out a way to help Selena have better dental health.
These four will make 13 teeth she's lost now

Aww, poor Selena! Frank is sending her his most soothing BTDT purrs. I
haven't found a cure for his dential problems, either. I should have started
brushing his teeth when he was young, but there is no way he will let me
touch his mouth now. He hates the toothpaste the vet gave me, which should
be effective if he would just lick it off my finger, but he just wrinkles
his nose and backs off. The kind of enzymatic snacks that should help clean
his teeth he is allergic to. He always vomits after having any of those.
Waffles kindly sent us a sort of dental snack that I haven't seen in the
stores here, so we will see if his tummy can take that.

--
Marina

Old December 4th 03, 07:19 PM
Margaret Fine

Marina wrote:
"Julie Cook" wrote

I have got to figure out a way to help Selena have better dental health.
These four will make 13 teeth she's lost now

Aww, poor Selena! Frank is sending her his most soothing BTDT purrs. I
haven't found a cure for his dential problems, either. I should have started
brushing his teeth when he was young, but there is no way he will let me
touch his mouth now. He hates the toothpaste the vet gave me, which should
be effective if he would just lick it off my finger, but he just wrinkles
his nose and backs off. The kind of enzymatic snacks that should help clean
his teeth he is allergic to. He always vomits after having any of those.
Waffles kindly sent us a sort of dental snack that I haven't seen in the
stores here, so we will see if his tummy can take that.

--
Marina

I'm not sure if this is appropriate but have you tried using the dental
pads that are out? Even if you can just swipe the teeth once a week
I've heard it helps. I've used them on Oliver. I have to have someone
hold him but I do a quick swipe swipe and then we are done. I figure it
is better than nothing. I've also used just my finger dipped in
hexarinse. At least it kills the plaque bacteria. A small amount goes
a long way.

Oliver is fairly tolerant about things so he doesn't bite me too hard! :-)

Margaret
--
Margaret Fine

Old December 4th 03, 07:23 PM
Julie Cook

Marina wrote:

"Julie Cook" wrote

I have got to figure out a way to help Selena have better dental health.
These four will make 13 teeth she's lost now

Aww, poor Selena! Frank is sending her his most soothing BTDT purrs. I
haven't found a cure for his dential problems, either. I should have started
brushing his teeth when he was young, but there is no way he will let me
touch his mouth now. He hates the toothpaste the vet gave me, which should
be effective if he would just lick it off my finger, but he just wrinkles
his nose and backs off. The kind of enzymatic snacks that should help clean
his teeth he is allergic to. He always vomits after having any of those.
Waffles kindly sent us a sort of dental snack that I haven't seen in the
stores here, so we will see if his tummy can take that.

--
Marina

Thanks Marina and Frank (and of course Nikki as well). If you find
anything that works with Frank let me know. Unfortunately, I didn't
have a chance to train Selena as a kitten and she's like Frank in that
she doesn't want her mouth touched. But then Selena isn't crazy about
any human contact unless there is a brush at the end of that hand. She
loves her vitamins and takes those like treats. If I could find
something (that wasn't hard to chew due to lack of teeth) similar to her
vitamins that would be great. I suppose I'll just start taking her in
every six months for a dental cleaning and hope that works.

Thank you for the purrs,
Julie
(watching the clock slowly advance - the vet closes at 2 pm for lunch so
I'm hoping they call in the next 45 minutes)

Old December 4th 03, 07:32 PM
Karen

Aww. I understand totally. I'm sure it will go fine. And the teeth thing, as
much as we think it's awful is actually just better for them if they have
mouth problems. It really helps to keep from getting gingivitis and they
just do not seem to miss them one little bit. Purrs to you and Skritches to
Selena.

Karen

Old December 4th 03, 08:00 PM
Julie Cook

Karen wrote:

Aww. I understand totally. I'm sure it will go fine. And the teeth thing, as
much as we think it's awful is actually just better for them if they have
mouth problems. It really helps to keep from getting gingivitis and they
just do not seem to miss them one little bit. Purrs to you and Skritches to
Selena.

Karen

Thanks Karen and Margaret. I just got the call. She's doing fine but she
lost 8 teeth
My poor baby. I can pick her up at 4 pm so I plan to be there on the dot
to get her and give her lots of loving tonight. Margaret, I was given
some liquid stuff to help kill bacteria that you put on her teeth and
gums. We reached a point where she avoided me at all costs to keep my
fingers out of her mouth. I may try it again. I hate to think of her
losing any more teeth.

Thanks everyone for the purrs!
Julie

Old December 4th 03, 10:24 PM
Christine Burel

"Julie Cook" wrote in message
[...]

Poor Selena! Many purrs for her to feel better soon! You might try
checking this link:
http://vetmeddirect.com

and searching under Oral Cleansing Gel (company name is Maxiguard). My
stray cat mentor, Megan, told me this liquid stuff is really good for gums
and tooth health (shame on me, I've ordered it but not tried it out yet,
better get on the stick here). hope this helps, Julie
Christine

Old December 4th 03, 10:52 PM
Margaret Fine

Julie Cook wrote:

Karen wrote:

[...]

Julie, do you think if you took the liquid to a compounding pharmacy
they could make it tuna flavored or something?

Old December 4th 03, 11:11 PM
polonca12000

Poor Selena! It's so hard when we have to do things like this.
Purrs and best wishes for everything to turn out ok,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Julie Cook" wrote in message
I dropped Selena off this morning to have her teeth cleaned. She was so
pitiful this morning. I had to take the food up last night at midnight
so when I got up and went into the kitchen she and Hobbes followed me
into the kitchen thinking they were going to eat. I swept Selena up and
put her in the carrier then went back and got dressed. She mewed and
cried the entire way to the vet. snip