Whats the best way to relocate a litter box?

Old January 24th 04, 02:12 PM
Pierre

Default Whats the best way to relocate a litter box?

Its time to move Yoko's litter box into the basement, and the first
night was a disaster. After having heruse it and use it normally for
2 years, we decided to reclain the area for our use. I installed a
cat door, plunked the box into the basdement(an area which she never
goes), and expected the cat to find and use it happily. I'd taken her
to the new spot by picking her up, carrying her downstairs and placing
her in the box, only to have her scamper quickly up the stairs and
ignoring the entire thing. Tried that twice. She didn't use it all
night.
So, after searching about the net I now learn that the box must be
moved gradually. My questions a
1. Over what period of time should I complete a relocation?
2. How much should I move the box each day, or other time period. (The
box will have to go to the other side of the kitchen, behind the
fridge, and down the stairs.
3. Should I get a 2nd box, and where to put it?

TIA for any other ideas or suggestions.

Pierre
Old January 24th 04, 02:35 PM
Gail

One cat should have two boxes. Also, there should be a box on the main floor
of the house plus the one in the basement.
Gail
om...

Old January 24th 04, 04:08 PM
GovtLawyer

1. Over what period of time should I complete a relocation?
2. How much should I move the box each day, or other time period. (The
box will have to go to the other side of the kitchen, behind the
fridge, and down the stairs.
3. Should I get a 2nd box, and where to put it?

TIA for any other ideas or suggestions.

I have no idea what the right way is, but intuitvely, it seems as if you should
just move it a few steps or feet each day. I guesss, in the middle of this
exodus, it may be inappropriately out in the open, but try and bare with it.
Perhaps at some point you could double the feet. You get the gist. I can't
think of any other way.

Old January 24th 04, 08:13 PM
Knack

"Pierre" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Was the cat already accustomed to going in the basement before you ever put
the litterbox down there?

Actually, you've made *at least* 2 changes already:

1) Moved the litterbox into the basement. Is it at the foot of the steps?
2) Training the cat to use a catdoor to enter the basement stairway

Uh, duhhh... leave the basement door open so that the cat can see the
litterbox at the bottom of the stairway. After a couple weeks of having
gotten used to the new litterbox location you can then begin to close the
basement door and begin getting the cat to use its catdoor. After another
week you can gradually move the litterbox away from the stairway to the best
spot for it in the basement.