Cats' water supply

Old April 11th 06, 08:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cats' water supply

I'm looking for advice and suggestions for not having to replace the cats'
water supply several times a day.

The thing is, Tommy is never content to simply drink water from a dish - at
the very least, he has to splash it all over the place with his paw, and
when the water level goes below half full, he'll turn it over. He even does
this with the automatic waterer I got at Walmart.

I'm tired of constantly mopping the floor and want to find a mean of
watering the cats that Tommy cannot defeat.

Any ideas?

Old April 11th 06, 08:51 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
I'm looking for advice and suggestions for not having to replace the cats'
water supply several times a day.

The thing is, Tommy is never content to simply drink water from a dish - at
the very least, he has to splash it all over the place with his paw, and
when the water level goes below half full, he'll turn it over. He even does
this with the automatic waterer I got at Walmart.

I'm tired of constantly mopping the floor and want to find a mean of
watering the cats that Tommy cannot defeat.

Any ideas?

Well... there are no-tip bowls, that he couldn't turn over, but he'd
still be able to splash around in one.
(picked Petco, coz it was the first one that came to mind)
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...689&enemerch=1

Then I seem to remember seeing something similar as the bottle used for
rodents, but bigger and meant for cats. Now I cannot find one tho...
hold on, this one's for small dogs too, so why not cats:
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...familyID=6144&
or http://tinyurl.com/h68uv

--
Christine in Vantaa, Finland
christal63 (at) gmail (dot) com
Old April 11th 06, 09:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Christine K." wrote

Well... there are no-tip bowls, that he couldn't turn over, but he'd still
be able to splash around in one.
(picked Petco, coz it was the first one that came to mind)
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...689&enemerch=1

Then I seem to remember seeing something similar as the bottle used for
rodents, but bigger and meant for cats. Now I cannot find one tho... hold
on, this one's for small dogs too, so why not cats:
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...familyID=6144&
or http://tinyurl.com/h68uv

The first one looks like a good idea (especially the no-skid bottom) but I'd
like to find a deeper one that would take up less space on the floor.

The other I think would only work if I had just one or two cats, with seven
cats it
would need filling too often. And some of them may not figure out how to use
it.

Thanks for the tip!

Old April 11th 06, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in message
I'm looking for advice and suggestions for not having to replace the cats'
water supply several times a day.

The thing is, Tommy is never content to simply drink water from a dish -
at the very least, he has to splash it all over the place with his paw,
and when the water level goes below half full, he'll turn it over. He even
does this with the automatic waterer I got at Walmart.

I'm tired of constantly mopping the floor and want to find a mean of
watering the cats that Tommy cannot defeat.

Any ideas?

My daughter gave up and lets them drink from the toilet. We sometimes let
a faucet drip.

And we don't use bowls for the cats water anymore. They get their water in
16 oz plastic cups. For some reason they don't knock those over or play
with them. Possible because it gets them too wet.

It helps that they do go out and there are many water sources around here.

Jo

Old April 11th 06, 09:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Pat" wrote in
:

I'm looking for advice and suggestions for not having to replace the
cats' water supply several times a day.

The thing is, Tommy is never content to simply drink water from a dish
- at the very least, he has to splash it all over the place with his
paw, and when the water level goes below half full, he'll turn it
over. He even does this with the automatic waterer I got at Walmart.

I'm tired of constantly mopping the floor and want to find a mean of
watering the cats that Tommy cannot defeat.

Any ideas?

Pi loves to take his prey for a swim in his water dish. It's actually a
milk-glass 8-inch round cake pan. He can't tip it over, but he does
occasionally stand up with his forepaws on the edge and watch the various
things that sink or float. His own little science projects, you see.

Anyway, I put a cheap rubberized welcome mat under it and the spill
usually stays contained in that, if he gets to splashing.

Chak

--
Any sufficiently advanced bureaucracy is indistinguishable from molasses.
Old April 11th 06, 10:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat wrote:
I'm looking for advice and suggestions for not having to replace the
cats' water supply several times a day.

The thing is, Tommy is never content to simply drink water from a
dish - at the very least, he has to splash it all over the place with
his paw, and when the water level goes below half full, he'll turn it
over. He even does this with the automatic waterer I got at Walmart.

I'm tired of constantly mopping the floor and want to find a mean of
watering the cats that Tommy cannot defeat.

Any ideas?

Tommy sounds a lot like Baggy, I haven't got an answer. At least Baggy is
able to go outside where there are pleanty of sources of water, today he was
streaching over the garden pond so he could drink from the fountain.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old April 11th 06, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:39:31 -0500, Pat wrote:

I'm looking for advice and suggestions for not having to replace the cats'
water supply several times a day.

We've got a Drinkwell Pet Fountain
(http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Drinkw...cmd ZViewItem),
also available from Drs Foster and Smith, Petco, PetSmart, etc. You can
get an extended capacity reservoir (basically about a quart bottle that
fastens to the back side).

I find that one filling of the reservoir keeps our six well-watered for a
couple days. The only time we have water on the floor is when Ranger
decides he needs to stand in the basin, then shakes his feet dry on the
floor.

Old April 11th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Dan M" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:39:31 -0500, Pat wrote:

I'm looking for advice and suggestions for not having to replace the
cats'
water supply several times a day.

We've got a Drinkwell Pet Fountain
(http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Drinkw...cmd ZViewItem),
also available from Drs Foster and Smith, Petco, PetSmart, etc. You can
get an extended capacity reservoir (basically about a quart bottle that
fastens to the back side).

I find that one filling of the reservoir keeps our six well-watered for a
couple days. The only time we have water on the floor is when Ranger
decides he needs to stand in the basin, then shakes his feet dry on the
floor.

There's one in every clowder isn't there?

Jo

Old April 11th 06, 11:47 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Dan M" wrote

We've got a Drinkwell Pet Fountain
(http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Drinkw...cmd ZViewItem),
also available from Drs Foster and Smith, Petco, PetSmart, etc. You can
get an extended capacity reservoir (basically about a quart bottle that
fastens to the back side).

I find that one filling of the reservoir keeps our six well-watered for a
couple days. The only time we have water on the floor is when Ranger
decides he needs to stand in the basin, then shakes his feet dry on the
floor.

What size reservoir do you have on yours?

It looks wonderful... is it difficult for a cat to tip over?

Old April 12th 06, 04:35 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

What size reservoir do you have on yours?

I think it's about a quart - it's about 4 inches in diameter and maybe 5-6
inches high.

It looks wonderful... is it difficult for a cat to tip over?

Nobody has managed to do so yet, and we've been using this one for over a
year.