Cats' water supply

Old April 12th 06, 03:26 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Cats' water supply

We've got a Drinkwell Pet Fountain
(http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Drinkw...cmd ZViewItem),
also available from Drs Foster and Smith, Petco, PetSmart, etc. You can
get an extended capacity reservoir (basically about a quart bottle that
fastens to the back side).

I find that one filling of the reservoir keeps our six well-watered for a
couple days. The only time we have water on the floor is when Ranger
decides he needs to stand in the basin, then shakes his feet dry on the
floor.

I tryed one of those type of things but my babies did not seem to care for it., They like
the cold fresh, water they get twice a day. During the hot summer they would not even
touch it when the water was warm. They would drink from the toilet bowl.

Old April 12th 06, 03:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In article ,
Pat wrote:

"Christine K." wrote

Well... there are no-tip bowls, that he couldn't turn over, but he'd still
be able to splash around in one.
(picked Petco, coz it was the first one that came to mind)
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...689&enemerch=1

Then I seem to remember seeing something similar as the bottle used for
rodents, but bigger and meant for cats. Now I cannot find one tho... hold
on, this one's for small dogs too, so why not cats:
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.as...familyID=6144&
or http://tinyurl.com/h68uv

The first one looks like a good idea (especially the no-skid bottom) but I'd
like to find a deeper one that would take up less space on the floor.

The other I think would only work if I had just one or two cats, with seven
cats it
would need filling too often. And some of them may not figure out how to use
it.

Thanks for the tip!

One of my friends has a cat who likes to play in his water dish. She
got him a HUGE metal dish, like the kind you'd use for big dogs, and
keeps it in the shower. She simply removes it when she is taking
a shower, and he's free to play and splash to his heart's content
every day. Sometimes she floats a yellow ducky in there because he
likes to play 'drown the ducky'. Go figure.

How about putting a big metal dish inside a little child's wading
pool? No matter how you go about it, you're going to have to take
up room. Your owner just likes to splash. I heard that cats don't
like to have their whiskers touching the sides of the bowl, which
is why I have a big bowl for Princess Rita, but I've also heard that
they can't see the water unless it's moving, which would explain why
Fin would bat his water bowl every time he drank. He would end up
moving it all over the kitchen floor. I never knew where I'd find
it next.

Cats are such fun.

Jane
- owned and operated by Princess Rita
Old April 13th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 14:39:31 -0500, Pat wrote:

I'm looking for advice and suggestions for not having to replace the
cats'
water supply several times a day.

We've got a Drinkwell Pet Fountain

(http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Drinkw...sh-Cat-Dog-NIB
_W0QQitemZ7756997837QQcategoryZ66764QQrdZ1QQcmdZVi ewItem),
also available from Drs Foster and Smith, Petco, PetSmart, etc. You
can
get an extended capacity reservoir (basically about a quart bottle
that
fastens to the back side).

I find that one filling of the reservoir keeps our six well-watered
for a
couple days. The only time we have water on the floor is when Ranger
decides he needs to stand in the basin, then shakes his feet dry on
the
floor.

Persia loves her Drinkwell fountain. I didn't get the big water bottle that
goes on the back since I have only one cat but it seems that would alleviate
the need for constant filling. With the humidity down here in the southern
US, the basin water evaporates; I just pour a cup of cold water in it every
day after I brush my teeth. When it's really hot I'll drop an ice cube or
two in there to keep the water nice and chilled.

Old April 13th 06, 02:32 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Dan M wrote:
What size reservoir do you have on yours?

I think it's about a quart - it's about 4 inches in diameter and
maybe 5-6 inches high.

It looks wonderful... is it difficult for a cat to tip over?

Nobody has managed to do so yet, and we've been using this one for
over a year.

And Persia loves drinking from the running "spout" on the fountain, although
sometimes she drinks straight from the basin. It's quite heavy when filled
with water so I don't think a cat can just tip it over, plus it has little
rubber feet on the bottom so it can't be scooted.

Jill

Old April 13th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Pat, there's another fountain also that might work for you: Here's a rather
long link to it -- hope it works:
http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...1-b956fcebab77
If the link doesn't work go to www.valleyvet.com and use the search function
for pet fountains. I have the 108 oz. size for my kitties and they do like
it! It says it uses a charcoal filter cartridge but I just get a little net
bag from the fish supply area of Petsmart and buy the aquarium type charcoal
to put in it and it works great.
Christine

"Dan M" wrote