Back to needing purrs and ideas

Old April 12th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Back to needing purrs and ideas

Well, the move situation has gotten difficult again. Apparently, my
partner -- it is a corporation, and everything has been verbal, but I
generally trust him -- had been assuming that everything could go in
the single trailer. I had never made that assumption, assuming there
would be a second run or at least storage. If things had been more
clear about his thinking, and I have an intermediary that's helping get
his thoughts, I would have done some things differently, such as
insisting that my ex's packing complete earlier and that, from the
beginning, it had to be consistent with my staging my own packing.

So, I'm now in a position where I'm getting no more relocation funds,
or so it seems. I had thought that a business associate would advance
cash on $3000 in articles I had written and invoiced, but something has
gone wrong with that.

My hosts and I are getting creative, and my partner is cooperating as
he can. For example, we've now concluded that it's not economical to
fix my old Jeep (1987) and drive it out. He's got a surplus 1999 car,
some sort of sedan, that he'll make available.

The biggest problem is that I am getting closer and closer to physical
eviction, for which there's a court hearing on the 20th. Even though I
took a massive equity hit on the house sale, there still should be
$60-80 thousand coming back, but that might be five months off. In like
manner, there will probably be a huge legal settlement in the future,
but that's totally unpredictable.

Fundamentally, if I can get, with lousy credit, some sort of loan on
these receivables or settlements, I can get to St. Louis, where I
should start generating revenue fairly quickly. There will be some
expenses, such as medication, but they won't be huge.

Purrs would best focus on finding some creative way to get financed to
do this. I'm much better organized on the packing now, but the time
schedule of the volunteer (competent) mover is really too late unless
there are some major concessions by the buyer. If the buyer wanted me
out soon, they could advance, with interest, on the settlement, but
they don't seem interested. My friend will try to talk them into it.

Apparently, my partner is operating totally on a cash basis, and,
indeed, is going after some tangential business. Unless,
hypothetically, I could find someone with a truck, a rental is going to
be around $2000 from suburban DC to St. Louis. That's assuming a
one-way rental from here; the rates drop significantly with U-Haul once
you get a few hundred miles away.

The guy that drove the trailer before is willing to do it again, but he
can't until the weekend after the 20th, and there is still a
substantial cost.

I could get cleared out into a local storage locker for probably under
$1000. Abandoning/selling the car, I could get a cheap flight, with the
cats unfortunately as baggage, but I'd still have to ship some things.
Not a good alternative.
Old April 12th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Purrs for this to all be resolved. I just can't say how sorry I am you
are in this situation.

Old April 12th 06, 02:11 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 20:40:07 -0400, "Howard C. Berkowitz"
wrote:

Apparently, my partner is operating totally on a cash basis, and,
indeed, is going after some tangential business. Unless,
hypothetically, I could find someone with a truck, a rental is going to
be around $2000 from suburban DC to St. Louis. That's assuming a
one-way rental from here; the rates drop significantly with U-Haul once
you get a few hundred miles away.

The guy that drove the trailer before is willing to do it again, but he
can't until the weekend after the 20th, and there is still a
substantial cost.

I could get cleared out into a local storage locker for probably under
$1000. Abandoning/selling the car, I could get a cheap flight, with the
cats unfortunately as baggage, but I'd still have to ship some things.
Not a good alternative.

I don't know how much stuff you have remaining to ship, but I would
recommend looking at the cost of renting a self-drive moving truck
from U-Haul or the like for a _two-way_ trip, then driving your
business partner's car to St. Louis after you have moved your
belongings. Two-way rentals tend to be at a significantly better rate
than one-way rentals. When I was clearing out my father's house after
he died in 2001, I rented a truck for three days, for a total cost of
about $150, if I remember correctly. Rates will have gone up, but it
still seems that you should be able to make a two-way rental for well
under $2000.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old April 12th 06, 02:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Purrs for a solution to appear soon.

Joy

Old April 12th 06, 04:06 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-12, Howard C. Berkowitz penned:

Purrs would best focus on finding some creative way to get financed
to do this.

Financial purrs en route. This sounds scary.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 12th 06, 04:17 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote in message
Apparently, my partner is operating totally on a cash basis, and,
indeed, is going after some tangential business. Unless,
hypothetically, I could find someone with a truck, a rental is going to
be around $2000 from suburban DC to St. Louis. That's assuming a
one-way rental from here; the rates drop significantly with U-Haul once
you get a few hundred miles away.

Howard,

Check with some other move van companies. One of my co-workers father
passed away recently. They had to move his mother to a nursing home in
Texas, and they live in Kansas. By checking around they were able to find a
rental truck that included a storage unit for a month free.

Good luck and I hope things turn around for you soon. There is nothing
worse than knowing there is money coming but not here yet.

Diane

Old April 12th 06, 04:38 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:

Purrs for a speedy and effective solution, Howard.

--
Sam, closely supervised by Mistletoe
Old April 12th 06, 12:17 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
Well, the move situation has gotten difficult again.

snip

Mega purrs on the way.
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy and Bagheera)
Cats leave pawprints on your heart.

Old April 12th 06, 02:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Still purring and praying that things become better for you, Howard. Take
care and hang in there.
Lily & her mama

--

Irulan
from the stars we come

Old April 12th 06, 02:42 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Howard C. Berkowitz wrote:
Not a good alternative.

Continuing purrs.

--