Back to needing purrs and ideas

Old April 12th 06, 10:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Back to needing purrs and ideas

Howard we'll keep purring for your situation to be resolved.

Have you looked into the moving pod option?

http://www.pods.com/

Old April 12th 06, 11:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote in message

Well, the move situation has gotten difficult again.///

Purrs on their way for the situation to be resolved.

Helen m

Old April 12th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

In article , Pat
wrote:

Howard we'll keep purring for your situation to be resolved.

Have you looked into the moving pod option?

http://www.pods.com/

I actually have some things in one pod. If I needed to send 2-3 pods,
it's actually cheaper than conventional trucking, but still too
expensive if little cash is available. There's also a problem that the
space where they would need to unload probably is too soft for a PODS
unit. Moving one PODS unit is more expensive than a truck, but it
appears 3 fit on one of their trucks; two is reasonable and three
attractive compared to conventional large trucks.

The problem is more financial, or cash flow, than the physical move. My
partner had had some assumptions about the relocation that he didn't
share ahead of time. Also, I discover he runs completely on a cash
basis, and can't, for example, use a bank credit line, as would many
businesses, to get cash for the $3000 I just invoiced for some trade
press articles.

Even though I took enormous equity losses in the foreclosure, which
still may be recovered from legal malpractice action, there is more
than enough money for the relocation coming to me -- but, unless we can
find some way to get an advance on it, it may be up to 5 months before
I can touch it.

What I need is a contact with some loan officer's cat, or, for that
matter, a loan shark cat that will give professional courtesy to Mr.
Clark.
Old April 12th 06, 11:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default Back to needing purrs and ideas LONG

Howard we'll keep purring for your situation to be resolved.
Have you looked into the moving pod option?
http://www.pods.com/

I actually have some things in one pod. If I needed to send 2-3 pods,
it's actually cheaper than conventional trucking, but still too
expensive if little cash is available. There's also a problem that the
space where they would need to unload probably is too soft for a PODS
unit. Moving one PODS unit is more expensive than a truck, but it
appears 3 fit on one of their trucks; two is reasonable and three
attractive compared to conventional large trucks.

A heads-up on that "pod" stuff: When we first got here we
lived in urban, very bad 'hood temporarily; one crack-of-dawn
early am, I looked out window to observe a huge flatbed w/several
of those pods loaded thereon; I had looked into (online) pod moving
before I moved crosscountry but made other arrangements; driver
disengaged one pod and placed it in a parking spot in lot, then to my
utter amazement, drove off w/rest of pods still on flatbed, never to be
seen again. It was obvious even to me that driver had made a *big*
boo-boo as this parking lot was owned and utilized by a local church!
By the time another truck arrived to retrieve the misplaced pod about
a week later, this is what was left: unable to be towed like a vehicle
by local towing trucks, it was looted and emptied (yeah, they found
a way to bust into it!, locks mean nothing to determined people) by
the locals in this high-crime area, and off the empty, damaged pod
went, back to wherever it came from. I guess it would be ok if you
unloaded it in someone's private yard or driveway but of course
first driver, w/either wrong address or whatever motivated him to
dump it there, had no idea what kinda 'hood he was in, LOL.
I got the impression those "pod" outfits are nationwide so I have
no idea which one that was. Caveat emptor or whatever.....

Old April 13th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-12, Howard C. Berkowitz penned:
In article , Pat
wrote:

Howard we'll keep purring for your situation to be resolved.

Have you looked into the moving pod option?

http://www.pods.com/

Just a note -- I know that my brother used pods for storage of extra
stuff and said that some books and records were damaged, dunno if from
wet or heat or what. So don't leave your good stuff in there too
long.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 13th 06, 02:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"Howard C. Berkowitz" wrote in message
Well, the move situation has gotten difficult again. Apparently, my
partner -- it is a corporation, and everything has been verbal, but I
generally trust him -- had been assuming that everything could go in
the single trailer. I had never made that assumption, assuming there
would be a second run or at least storage. If things had been more
clear about his thinking, and I have an intermediary that's helping get
his thoughts, I would have done some things differently, such as
insisting that my ex's packing complete earlier and that, from the
beginning, it had to be consistent with my staging my own packing.

So, I'm now in a position where I'm getting no more relocation funds,
or so it seems. I had thought that a business associate would advance
cash on $3000 in articles I had written and invoiced, but something has
gone wrong with that.

My hosts and I are getting creative, and my partner is cooperating as
he can. For example, we've now concluded that it's not economical to
fix my old Jeep (1987) and drive it out. He's got a surplus 1999 car,
some sort of sedan, that he'll make available.

The biggest problem is that I am getting closer and closer to physical
eviction, for which there's a court hearing on the 20th. Even though I
took a massive equity hit on the house sale, there still should be
$60-80 thousand coming back, but that might be five months off. In like
manner, there will probably be a huge legal settlement in the future,
but that's totally unpredictable.

Fundamentally, if I can get, with lousy credit, some sort of loan on
these receivables or settlements, I can get to St. Louis, where I
should start generating revenue fairly quickly. There will be some
expenses, such as medication, but they won't be huge.

Purrs would best focus on finding some creative way to get financed to
do this. I'm much better organized on the packing now, but the time
schedule of the volunteer (competent) mover is really too late unless
there are some major concessions by the buyer. If the buyer wanted me
out soon, they could advance, with interest, on the settlement, but
they don't seem interested. My friend will try to talk them into it.

Apparently, my partner is operating totally on a cash basis, and,
indeed, is going after some tangential business. Unless,
hypothetically, I could find someone with a truck, a rental is going to
be around $2000 from suburban DC to St. Louis. That's assuming a
one-way rental from here; the rates drop significantly with U-Haul once
you get a few hundred miles away.

The guy that drove the trailer before is willing to do it again, but he
can't until the weekend after the 20th, and there is still a
substantial cost.

I could get cleared out into a local storage locker for probably under
$1000. Abandoning/selling the car, I could get a cheap flight, with the
cats unfortunately as baggage, but I'd still have to ship some things.
Not a good alternative.

Just thinking out loud here -- do you have friends, associates, etc. where
you are that would let you divide up some of your stuff and store it in
their garages until your volunteer mover guy can move your stuff?
Otherwise, I might opt for clearing out into a local storage locker until
you can make arrangements to get it out to St. Louis. I don't remember how
far away you are from St. Louis, but I wonder if this would be a feasible
option:

Find a place to stash your household stuff (see above). Pack a couple of
suitcases/boxes to take care of your essential needs for 3 weeks or so.
Arrange for a friend to catsit for a couple of days -- take a cheap flight
out to St. Louis and drive your partner's surplus car back -- take the
couple of suitcases and kitties and drive back to St. Louis maybe towing a
small U-haul-it and/or your 1987 truck? Have your volunteer mover truck
your stuff from the storage locker to you after the 20th.

Wish I were more creative...all I can say, Howard, is you certainly have our
heartfelt purrs that a workable solution can be found.
Christine and Oreo, Midnight, Robin & Tucker