want to relocate feral cats

Old August 4th 09, 11:39 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bob syr

Default want to relocate feral cats

About a year ago four kittens were born to a feral queen in my garage.
I've been feeding and watering them, but they do hunt. The mama is an
excellent hunter. I'd like to return these ferals to a new location. I
trapped and had them all spayed and neutered, including the queen, but
now I'm planning to move and I can't take them with me and I can't
leave them here. What are the criteria for a location in which to
place one-year-old ferals? - Bob
Old August 5th 09, 01:21 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"bob syr" wrote in message
About a year ago four kittens were born to a feral queen in my garage.
I've been feeding and watering them, but they do hunt. The mama is an
excellent hunter. I'd like to return these ferals to a new location. I
trapped and had them all spayed and neutered, including the queen, but
now I'm planning to move and I can't take them with me and I can't
leave them here. What are the criteria for a location in which to
place one-year-old ferals? - Bob

Bless you for taking care of these cats. If I were in your place I think I
would contact my local rescue/shelter. Not animal control, of course.

Old August 5th 09, 06:12 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
calvin

On Aug 4, 6:39*pm, bob syr wrote:
About a year ago four kittens were born to a feral queen in my garage.
I've been feeding and watering them, but they do hunt. The mama is an
excellent hunter. I'd like to return these ferals to a new location. I
trapped and had them all spayed and neutered, including the queen, but
now I'm planning to move and I can't take them with me and I can't
leave them here. What are the criteria for a location in which to
place one-year-old ferals? - Bob

I wonder why you had to trap them to have them spayed
and neutered. They all could have been tame with you.
Four years ago a near-feral pregnant cat was trapped and
brought to me, because I volunteered to keep the kittens
and return the mother (spayed) after the kittens had been
weaned. This saved the lives of six kittens and spared the
mother from a barbaric late-term abortion thst her so-
called owners were planning to have done. All of the
kittens and the mother became tame with me. I had a
reunion with the mother a couple of months ago, who
remembered me after nearly four years and let me pet her
extensively, even though she has never let anyone else
pet her at all. I still have the kittens (who will be four
years old in two days), and my other cats, except that two
of the older cats have died during the past four years,
Thug and Polly in the pictures below:

http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html
Old August 5th 09, 06:56 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"calvin" wrote:
Thug and Polly in the pictures below:

http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

You are such a dick. I remember you now.

Old August 5th 09, 01:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
calvin

On Aug 5, 1:56*am, "cybercat" wrote:
"calvin" wrote:
Thug and Polly in the pictures below:

http://www.geocities.com/ricewww/crcats.html

You are such a dick. I remember you now.

You remember me from back then, or from my
recent bad encounter with Phil P? I admit to the
wrongness of being obtuse with Phil, but don't
know what I may have done wrong four years ago.
That's why I keep bringing up four years ago,
trying to restore my good name.
Old August 6th 09, 02:37 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bob syr

.. If I were in your place I think I
would contact my local rescue/shelter. Not animal control, of course.

I've contacted the ASPCA, Humane Society, and several cat coalition
groups. None of them could help as there are thousands of strays and
ferals in Syracuse and all the shelters are overrun. I'd be willing
to take them anywhere in New York State if only someone would take
them. I've been wondering about dairy farms. Every dairy barn I've
ever seen has cats all over the place. It could be a nice life for
them. - Bob

Old August 6th 09, 02:48 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
bob syr

I wonder why you had to trap them to have them spayed
and neutered. *

Calvin - I waited too long. They were in the garage for a few months
while I checked out the local shelters who weren't able to help. Then
winter was coming on and I had to fix a place up for them to keep
warm. By then they were almost fully grown and I used a humane trap
and brought them one by one to the vet for spaying and neutering. Two
females, a male, and a mixed gender. Your cats are wonderful. I saw
the first couple of your pictures and as I write this I'm waiting for
the rest to download (old slow computer). They look so happy and
content. - Bob
Old August 6th 09, 03:00 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
calvin

On Aug 5, 9:48*pm, bob syr wrote:
I wonder why you had to trap them to have them spayed
and neutered. *

Calvin - I waited too long. *They were in the garage for a few months
while I checked out the local shelters who weren't able to help. *Then
winter was coming on and I had to fix a place up for them to keep
warm. *By then they were almost fully grown and I used a humane trap
and brought them one by one to the vet for spaying and neutering. *Two
females, a male, and a mixed gender. *Your cats are wonderful. *I saw
the first couple of your pictures and as I write this I'm waiting for
the rest to download (old slow computer). *They look so happy and
content. - Bob

Thanks for your friendly reply. What is a mixed gender
cat, by the way? I've never heard of that.

Old August 6th 09, 07:28 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
cybercat

"bob syr" wrote in message
. If I were in your place I think I
would contact my local rescue/shelter. Not animal control, of course.

I've contacted the ASPCA, Humane Society, and several cat coalition
groups. None of them could help as there are thousands of strays and
ferals in Syracuse and all the shelters are overrun. I'd be willing
to take them anywhere in New York State if only someone would take
them. I've been wondering about dairy farms. Every dairy barn I've
ever seen has cats all over the place. It could be a nice life for
them. - Bob

Sorry the situation is this way in NY. I think the dairy farm idea is a good
one, they are neutered, they would be great barn cats!

Old August 6th 09, 02:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
calvin

On Aug 6, 2:28*am, "cybercat" wrote:
Sorry the situation is this way in NY. I think the dairy farm idea is a good
one, they are neutered, they would be great barn cats!

But how do you make them stay there?
Many cats would take off looking for home at once,
no matter that the new environment might be more
to their liking eventually.

feral cats snuffy Cat community 5 December 26th 08 08:28 AM
Questions About Black Cats, Genetics and Feral Cats mc Cat health & behaviour 21 January 29th 08 06:52 PM
How To Rescue and Relocate A Kat - KISS whitershadeofpale Cat health & behaviour 0 July 4th 05 02:18 PM
Two Feral Cats ceb2 Cat health & behaviour 92 October 30th 04 05:11 AM
Whats the best way to relocate a litter box? Pierre Cat health & behaviour 20 February 10th 04 04:09 AM