RPCA Newsgroup A Heads up

Old July 13th 12, 02:25 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_5_]

Default RPCA Newsgroup A Heads up

On 2012-07-12 1:14 PM, Matthew wrote:
Snip tale

This is certainly a scam. I got a couple of these - one, a year or so
ago almost word for word the same supposedly from an aquaintance who
was actually out of the country at the time, so some people in our
circle panicked a bit, although I think no one sent money.

All it means is that someone's managed to fake an email from Winnie.

One of the ones I got was actually a bit funny, when you stopped to
think about it - this person was supposedly in dire straits and
absolutely penniless and without ID, but could still send emails and
make arrangements to receive money...

W-e-l-l--- there ARE "internet cafes" and Western Union, but why would
anyone but family or a really intimate friend be likely to lend money in
such circumstances? (Also, that's one reason developed countries
maintain embassies - to assist citizens who have that kind of misfortune.)

But Internet cafes and Western Union tend to want payment or ID or both
from the 'penniless' person! I suppose you could make an international
collect call, but you still have the problem of being able to identify
yourself to get the money, and of course you can't get on a plane these
days without at ticket AND ID!

Getting repatriated as a distressed citizen isn't all that easy either,
especially if you're not near an Embassy, but naturally a real victim
would be dealing with the local police, the Embassy (if they're in a
capital city with one - I think this one wasn't) their insurance, their
immediate family, etc.

And I must admit that although one of my first thoughts when I got that
one purportedly from a friend who was in the country although not the
city named, was 'Why on earth would she email ME? We've always been
friendly, but she's got lots of friends and relatives who are much
closer to her and most of them probably have more money than I do'. And
then I thought, it's in good English, but doesn't really sound like
her... So I wasn't at risk of sending money to a crook, and since a lot
of the addresses that had been stolen were for people in a smallish
group, it was easy to get word out that it must be a scam, and then word
directly from our friend, horrified that someone had broken into her
email account.

--
Cheryl

Old July 13th 12, 05:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
trubble

On Thu, 12 Jul 2012 11:44:59 -0400, "Matthew"
wrote:

Hoptis sent me an email telling me that she got an email from one of our
Posters named Winne; which I have not seen in a long time, asking for money.
Hoptis newsgroups on her internet server are acting funny so she ased me to
post this asap.
Here is the email IF this is true I am sorry but Winnie and Hoptis are
not close enough friends to ask for money and she has not had any contact
with Winnie since last xmas. This is what was sent to hoptis at 11pm last
night

Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 23:25:21 -0700
From: I REMOVED THE EMAIL FOR PRIVACY JUST IN CASE
Subject: Hi
To: Hoptis

I really hope this gets to you in time, I was robbed during my trip to
Swansea, Wales. All my belongings including mobile phone and credit card
were all stolen. I asked my bank to cancel my cards and place hold on my
account to avoid unauthorized access. I need your help flying back home.

Am cash strapped at the moment. I've made contact with my bank but the best
they could do was to send me a new card in the mail which will take 3-5
working days to arrive here. I need you to lend me some money to sort my
self out of this predicament, I will pay back once I make it out of Wales.

Western union is the fastest option to wire funds to me, let me know if you
can help me with the funds i need so that i can send you the details you
will need when sending the funds.

I await your response.

Winnie

This a fairly old and fairly well known scam. Somebody's E-mail gets
hacked, and this E-mail is sent to everyone.

Sending money via Western Union pretty much MEANS you are getting
scammed.

People often request Western Union payment on craigslist.org, and it's
ALWAYS a scam.

Don't send money via Western Union = don't get scammed.
Old July 13th 12, 08:59 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Cheryl wrote:
On 12/07/2012 4:45 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

W-e-l-l--- there ARE "internet cafes" and Western Union, but why would
anyone but family or a really intimate friend be likely to lend money in
such circumstances? (Also, that's one reason developed countries
maintain embassies - to assist citizens who have that kind of
misfortune.)

But Internet cafes and Western Union tend to want payment or ID or both
from the 'penniless' person! I suppose you could make an international
collect call, but you still have the problem of being able to identify
yourself to get the money, and of course you can't get on a plane these
days without at ticket AND ID!

I've never used an internet cafe - I thought all you needed was small
change for coffee (or whatever they sell). I was suggesting a collect
telegram/call to your intended lender, asking them to wire funds.
(Presumably, if they know you well enough to lend you money, you'd have
no problems identifying yourself.)

Getting repatriated as a distressed citizen isn't all that easy either,
especially if you're not near an Embassy, but naturally a real victim
would be dealing with the local police,

....who would put you in touch with your embassy (or consulate), right?

And I must admit that although one of my first thoughts when I got that
one purportedly from a friend who was in the country although not the
city named, was 'Why on earth would she email ME? We've always been
friendly, but she's got lots of friends and relatives who are much
closer to her and most of them probably have more money than I do'.

Exactly! A bit better thought out, but on a par with those E-mails from
"sweepstakes" you never entered, informing you that you've just won
untold millions; or people you've never heard of, offering to share
large sums of money for your illegal assistance in getting it out of
their country.
Old July 13th 12, 09:02 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

trubble wrote:

Don't send money via Western Union = don't get scammed.

Well, actually it's a perfectly legitimate means of transferring money,
but only if you are sure where you are sending it, and who the recipient is.

OT - Heads-up CatNipped[_5_] Cat anecdotes 2 June 15th 11 07:03 PM
Just a heads up. Trish Cat anecdotes 4 September 15th 05 06:01 PM
Just a heads up. Zach's Pussy Waxing & Hair Loss Clinics Cat health & behaviour 1 September 15th 05 04:07 PM
Hot Heads O J Cat anecdotes 12 January 28th 05 07:10 AM
Heads Up :-\)Liz Cat anecdotes 12 September 7th 04 04:22 AM