Follow-up - cat shortage in Jersey, UK

Old November 17th 04, 04:14 PM
Debbie Wilson

Default Follow-up - cat shortage in Jersey, UK

Some of you may remember this was discussd here a little while back -
here is a follow-up to the story:

Press release from Cats Protection - 17 November 2004

Ten cats are on cloud nine as they jet off to find new homes in Jersey

It's not only increasing numbers of Britons who move somewhere in search
of a better life - our cats are too! This morning, ten rescue felines
are jetting off from Gatwick to a new life in Jersey, courtesy of
leading feline welfare charity, Cats Protection.

Henry, Oscar, Rosie and friends are the ten lucky cats that have got
the cream in the first stage of this new initiative between Cats
Protection and the Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to
Animals (JSPCA).

Project Cat aims to solve a simple supply and demand situation. Although
Cats Protection homes a massive 60,000 rescue felines each year, there
are always more cats than available homes at any one time.

Things are a bit different over in Jersey. The affluent island has been
so successful in keeping the cat population in check through ongoing
neutering programmes, that the demand for rescue cats by local residents
can be greater than the supply!

Jersey locals wanting a rescue cat won't have to wait any longer with
the arrival of the first of several consignments of Cats Protection
felines. Betty Boud, Cattery Manager at Cats Protection's National Cat
Centre, says that working together with the JSPCA is a responsible way
to find loving homes for rescue cats. "We can have up to 7,000 cats in
our care at any one time - that's a lot of cats to find homes for," she
said. "This is a great opportunity. We've taken care to select cats that
will settle right into Jersey life."

The ten lucky felines are all NEUTERED, MICROCHIPPED AND HEALTH CHECKED
AND WILL NOT BE USED FOR BREEDING PURPOSES. Most are black or black and
white, and aged between seven months and seven years old.

Pru Bannier, JSPCA Operations Director said: "We are looking forward
to welcoming Henry and friends to Jersey, and working together with Cats
Protection to find more cats loving homes here. The island is a great
place for felines to live long and happy lives."

--
http://www.scientific-art.com

Old November 17th 04, 04:37 PM
Karen

So black or black with white cats are the most popular? that is interesting.
So nice to see GOOD news

. ..

Old November 17th 04, 04:50 PM
Kreisleriana

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 09:37:54 -0600, "Karen"
yodeled:

So black or black with white cats are the most popular?

Of course we are.
Love,
Stinky

Theresa

Old November 17th 04, 05:09 PM
dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers

So black or black with white cats are the most popular? that is interesting.
So nice to see GOOD news

Whilst it's great to hear the good news of the cats going to Jersey. It's
possible the black & white and black cats are going because there are so many
in shelters over here. Certainly in my bit of the world, it's the black ones
that are the hardest to rehome. For some stupid reason, too many brainless
humans associate them with *evil* and being *witches' cats*. Totally illogical,
but that's why the black ones are the hardest to rehome :-(

Cheers, helen s

**$om $

Old November 17th 04, 05:29 PM
Karen

"dirtylitterboxofferingstospammers" wrote in
message ...
So black or black with white cats are the most popular? that is

interesting.
So nice to see GOOD news

Whilst it's great to hear the good news of the cats going to Jersey. It's
possible the black & white and black cats are going because there are so

many
in shelters over here. Certainly in my bit of the world, it's the black

ones
that are the hardest to rehome. For some stupid reason, too many brainless
humans associate them with *evil* and being *witches' cats*. Totally

illogical,
but that's why the black ones are the hardest to rehome :-(

Cheers, helen s

It's so stupid too. Although, they are hard to find sometimes, but certainly
not evil and extremely beautiful.

Karen, slave to three beautiful black beauties.

Old November 17th 04, 11:10 PM
polonca12000

Great news! Wonderful!
Best wishes,
--
Polonca & Soncek

"Debbie Wilson" wrote in message
. ..
Some of you may remember this was discussd here a little while back -
here is a follow-up to the story:

Press release from Cats Protection - 17 November 2004

Ten cats are on cloud nine as they jet off to find new homes in Jersey

It's not only increasing numbers of Britons who move somewhere in search
of a better life - our cats are too! This morning, ten rescue felines
are jetting off from Gatwick to a new life in Jersey, courtesy of
leading feline welfare charity, Cats Protection.

snip