I'm so worried....

Old April 24th 08, 12:01 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Winnie

Default I'm so worried.... UPDATE

On Apr 23, 9:37*am, "CatNipped" wrote:
Sammy has calmed down and is eating again. *One thing that helped is that I
discontinued trying to put them all on a canned-only diet since they were
losing *WAY* too much weight (Demi went from 7 pounds 6 ounces to 6 pounds 8
ounces and the rest had similar drastic weight losses over the two months on
canned only - more than they could safely afford to lose). *They still eat
mostly canned, but I've started adding Science Diet dry as a supplement.
Sammy loves dry food the most of any of them so she was tempted into eating
a bit, then a bit more.

She's staying out in the middle of the great room again and not hiding all
the time, and she appears to be doing well on the Homeopet Anxiety drops.
I'm going to add some Rescue Remedy to everyone's drinking water. *However,
they don't drink a lot of water since they eat mostly canned food - I heard
somewhere that you would rub Rescue Remedy into their ear and that works as
well. *Has anyone heard this or could confirm it?

You can add the Rescue Remedy directly to the canned food. Thats what
I do with Rusty. Like your cats, he hardly drinks from his water dish.
I add a bit of water to his canned food along with drops of Rescue
Remedy.
I haven't heard about rubbing it to the ear. You probably can try
putting the drops directly in their mouth. But I think the easiest is
adding it to their food or water. It doesn't seem to affect the taste
of it.

Hunter still has 5 weeks of quarantine to go, and I'm not going to start any
introductions until he gets his second FIV/FeLV test. *So in light of this,
and since Sammy has calmed down again, I'm going to put off getting her
valium or Feliway for a little while longer. *I'm still hoping she'll get
used to smelling his scent and won't be so panicked when she sees him again.

Old April 24th 08, 02:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

Default I'm so worried....

"CatNipped" wrote in message

.. She's so upset that she's stopped eating for me -
but DH said she did go and eat something (not much) after I left for work
this morning (please gawd let this be a ******* cat trick).

Does anybody know what prescription medication is used for feline anxiety
and what is used to stimulate appetite?

You do not need to medicate your cats. What you have done has freaked them
out and they need a lot more time to adjust. They do not need medication.
What's this about cats needing anxiety medication?
I would venture to say that you may have taken on more cats than you can
cope with - and more importantly more than *they* can cope with.

Tweed

Old April 24th 08, 03:14 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:

CatNipped wrote:
On Sunday Hunter accidentally got out when DH was walking through the
hall door and Sammy happened to be just outside the door. Sammy panicked
and ran downstairs and Hunter chased her under my bed. There were no
blows exchanged, but there was a lot of trash talk going on between
them - Sammy hissing and growling in fear as Hunter tried to get to her.

Then yesterday we had to take her to the vet's to have her anal gland
expressed and she was so frightened she urinated all over herself
(something she's never done before. She's so upset that she's stopped
eating for me - but DH said she did go and eat something (not much) after
I left for work this morning (please gawd let this be a ******* cat
trick).

Does anybody know what prescription medication is used for feline anxiety

Isn't that what "Feliway" is used for? Fortunately my cats have always
bonded (or at least learned to accept each other) with a minimum of
aggression, and no signs of anxiety. My two now are delighted with each
other's companionship. Until Cendrillon arrived, Mélisande was clearly
missing Patches (who had to be PTS due to skin cancer). They have their
occasional "spats", but those seem to be more play than genuine, they
frequently groom one another, and both of them sleep curled together on my
bed at night.

Feliway is *very* expensive (about $45 per plug-in unit here plus pricey
refills, and in my house I'd have to have about 10 to cover the whole
house).

Hugs,

CatNipped

Sorry! I'd never priced it, since I've never really needed such a
product. Might there be some sort of "aromatherapy" equivalent, that
wouldn't cost as much?
Old April 24th 08, 03:39 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Marina

CatNipped wrote:
I heard
somewhere that you would rub Rescue Remedy into their ear and that works as
well. Has anyone heard this or could confirm it?

Yes, I've heard of it. I think it was Krista who used to do that to her
Mikey every time she had to take him anywhere. It helped calm him down
for the trip and against car sickness. I don't know how long one rub
would be effective, though.

Old April 24th 08, 03:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

I'm going to try Bach's Rescue Remedy - that's supposed to help.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 24th 08, 03:14 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Christina Websell" wrote in message

"CatNipped" wrote in message

. She's so upset that she's stopped eating for me -
but DH said she did go and eat something (not much) after I left for work
this morning (please gawd let this be a ******* cat trick).

Does anybody know what prescription medication is used for feline anxiety
and what is used to stimulate appetite?

You do not need to medicate your cats. What you have done has freaked
them out and they need a lot more time to adjust. They do not need
medication. What's this about cats needing anxiety medication?
I would venture to say that you may have taken on more cats than you can
cope with - and more importantly more than *they* can cope with.

Tweed

No, I don't think so - Sammy is the only one who is freaking out, the rest
seem to like the company. Heck, there are people here (Victor) who have
more than 6. I wouldn't have that many in a smaller house, but even though
it's dilapidated and falling apart, our house is *huge* - 5 bedrooms, 2
stories and more than 2,000 sq. ft. If they want, they can go all day
without seeing each other, but they usually all congregate in one room

It's not unusual in the States to medicate a cat for anxiety. Many people
here have done so. I'm going to try all other remedies first, but if
medication is the only way to make Sammy happy I won't hesitate to give it
to her.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 25th 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Christina Websell

"CatNipped" wrote in message

It's not unusual in the States to medicate a cat for anxiety. Many people
here have done so.

Maybe they do. What needs to happen is that the root of the anxiety needs
to be sorted out. They do not need medication. No cats need this here; as
far as I know.

Tweed

Old April 26th 08, 09:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

"CatNipped" wrote in message

It's not unusual in the States to medicate a cat for anxiety. Many people
here have done so.

Maybe they do. What needs to happen is that the root of the anxiety needs
to be sorted out. They do not need medication. No cats need this here; as
far as I know.

Tweed

I have my reservations about how many PEOPLE need it! We Americans seem
to have become a nation of pill-pushers, seeking medication rather than
lasting solutions for our problems. (I don't question the fact drugs
are sometimes necessary, but nowadays people seem to treat every minor
ill - physical or mental - by grabbing any available pill, without
giving the condition a chance to cure itself, first.)
Old April 26th 08, 09:29 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote:

I have my reservations about how many PEOPLE need it! We Americans seem
to have become a nation of pill-pushers, seeking medication rather than
lasting solutions for our problems. (I don't question the fact drugs
are sometimes necessary, but nowadays people seem to treat every minor
ill - physical or mental - by grabbing any available pill, without
giving the condition a chance to cure itself, first.)

Sometimes I'll go to the doctor about a weird symptom that has me
worried, and the doctor will immediately whip out the prescription
pad. Then she looks puzzled and a bit annoyed when I say I don't
want a drug, probably wondering why I even bothered to come in. But
I don't consider a doctor to be my pill supplier! (Unless I have a
known condition that requires medication, that is.)

Most of the time, though, what I want is for the doctor to rule
out a serious condition. The symptom might not even be overly
uncomfortable, and my priorty usually isn't "make this go away by
any means necessary". Generally, my goal is to be reassured that
nothing serious is wrong. And in the event that something serious
*is* wrong, to begin treatment immediately.

When I have a cold, I usually treat it with lots of liquids, vitamin
C, and echinacea, which has been "officially" discredited, but still
works for me. I try to get more rest than usual, too - that seems to be
the best cure of all. And I completely avoid things like decongestants,
cough syrup, and all that stuff you can buy on the shelf, the one
exception being ibuprofen, if I'm in any pain or have a fever. This
seems to work perfectly well for me. Chicken soup doesn't hurt, either.

--
Joyce

To email me, remove the triple-X from my user name. ^..^