I'm so worried....

Old April 22nd 08, 03:53 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

Default I'm so worried....

On Sunday Hunter accidentally got out when DH was walking through the hall
door and Sammy happened to be just outside the door. Sammy panicked and ran
downstairs and Hunter chased her under my bed. There were no blows
exchanged, but there was a lot of trash talk going on between them - Sammy
hissing and growling in fear as Hunter tried to get to her.

Then yesterday we had to take her to the vet's to have her anal gland
expressed and she was so frightened she urinated all over herself (something
she's never done before. She's so upset that she's stopped eating for me -
but DH said she did go and eat something (not much) after I left for work
this morning (please gawd let this be a ******* cat trick).

Does anybody know what prescription medication is used for feline anxiety
and what is used to stimulate appetite?

--
Hugs,

CatNipped

See all my masters he http://www.PossiblePlaces.com/CatNipped/

Old April 22nd 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
:-\)Liz

Nutra Cal is a great appetite stimulator (it comes in a toothpaste tube like
container and you just squeeze a small amount out ...apply to kitty's open
mouth or paw if the little kitty isn't cooperating)...I've nurse many a
kitty back to health it it...Available at most vets as well as a few pet
stores that have a vet on call... Best Success and Purrs headed your way...
:-) Liz

Old April 22nd 08, 07:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

":-)Liz" wrote in message
t...
Nutra Cal is a great appetite stimulator (it comes in a toothpaste tube
like container and you just squeeze a small amount out ...apply to kitty's
open mouth or paw if the little kitty isn't cooperating)...I've nurse many
a kitty back to health it it...Available at most vets as well as a few pet
stores that have a vet on call... Best Success and Purrs headed your
way... :-) Liz

Wow, I didn't know there was something like that available for cats! Thanks
so much for that info - I'll stop by PetsMart tonight and call the vet if
they don't carry it.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 22nd 08, 07:43 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jo Firey

"CatNipped" wrote in message
":-)Liz" wrote in message
t...
Nutra Cal is a great appetite stimulator (it comes in a toothpaste tube
like container and you just squeeze a small amount out ...apply to
kitty's open mouth or paw if the little kitty isn't cooperating)...I've
nurse many a kitty back to health it it...Available at most vets as well
as a few pet stores that have a vet on call... Best Success and Purrs
headed your way... :-) Liz

Wow, I didn't know there was something like that available for cats!
Thanks so much for that info - I'll stop by PetsMart tonight and call the
vet if they don't carry it.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Note, if kitty is really resistant, kind of rub it into the paw so they
can't shake the paw and send it flying. Better a little bit at a time than
a mess everywhere.

The cat we used it for the most liked the stuff and would usually lick it
off our fingers.

Jo

Old April 22nd 08, 08:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Kreisleriana[_3_]

"CatNipped" wrote in message
":-)Liz" wrote in message
t...
Nutra Cal is a great appetite stimulator (it comes in a toothpaste tube
like container and you just squeeze a small amount out ...apply to
kitty's open mouth or paw if the little kitty isn't cooperating)...I've
nurse many a kitty back to health it it...Available at most vets as well
as a few pet stores that have a vet on call... Best Success and Purrs
headed your way... :-) Liz

Wow, I didn't know there was something like that available for cats!
Thanks so much for that info - I'll stop by PetsMart tonight and call the
vet if they don't carry it.

Hugs,

CatNipped

Note that there *are* two or three cats in the world who don't care for it
at all-- Stinky is one of them, dammit. But most cats seem crazy about the
stuff.

As for the anxiety, I just don't know, although my heart and purrs go out to
the Samazon.

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old April 22nd 08, 09:04 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Kreisleriana" wrote in message
m...

"CatNipped" wrote in message
":-)Liz" wrote in message
t...
[...]

For a while the Homeopet Anxiety seemed to be working, but being chased and
then seeing the vet was just too much for her all in a few days. For being
the hugest cat I've ever seen, she certainly is a big wuss! I was hoping to
not have to put her on prescription medication, but it might come to that.

Hugs,

CatNipped

--
Theresa, Stinky and Dante
drtmuirATearthlink.net

Old April 22nd 08, 09:28 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Sherry

On Apr 22, 3:04*pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

m...

"CatNipped" wrote in message
":-)Liz" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

The vet has prescribed an extremely low-dose diazepam (Valium) for
Yoda to stimulate appetite. It actually worked pretty fast, IIRC I
only gave it to him two or three times. I've read it's also used
safely in cats to treat anxiety or aggression. It
might be worth discussing w/your vet if she doesn't snap out of it
soon.

Sherry
Old April 22nd 08, 10:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

"Sherry" wrote in message
On Apr 22, 3:04 pm, "CatNipped" wrote:
"Kreisleriana" wrote in message

m...

"CatNipped" wrote in message
":-)Liz" wrote in message
. net...
[...]

Definitely, thanks!

Hugs,

CatNipped

Old April 22nd 08, 10:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

CatNipped wrote:
On Sunday Hunter accidentally got out when DH was walking through the hall
door and Sammy happened to be just outside the door. Sammy panicked and ran
downstairs and Hunter chased her under my bed. There were no blows
exchanged, but there was a lot of trash talk going on between them - Sammy
hissing and growling in fear as Hunter tried to get to her.

Then yesterday we had to take her to the vet's to have her anal gland
expressed and she was so frightened she urinated all over herself (something
she's never done before. She's so upset that she's stopped eating for me -
but DH said she did go and eat something (not much) after I left for work
this morning (please gawd let this be a ******* cat trick).

Does anybody know what prescription medication is used for feline anxiety

Isn't that what "Feliway" is used for? Fortunately my cats have always
bonded (or at least learned to accept each other) with a minimum of
aggression, and no signs of anxiety. My two now are delighted with each
other's companionship. Until Cendrillon arrived, Mélisande was clearly
missing Patches (who had to be PTS due to skin cancer). They have their
occasional "spats", but those seem to be more play than genuine, they
frequently groom one another, and both of them sleep curled together on
my bed at night.
Old April 22nd 08, 10:49 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
CatNipped[_2_]

CatNipped wrote:
[...]

Feliway is *very* expensive (about $45 per plug-in unit here plus pricey
refills, and in my house I'd have to have about 10 to cover the whole
house).

Hugs,

CatNipped