Cats amaze me

Old December 23rd 14, 03:31 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default Cats amaze me

On 12/18/2014 2:48 PM, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:

The Other Guy wrote:
On Wed, 17 Dec 2014 21:28:19 -0600, "alien from planet x"

wrote:

I bought another kind of canned food today, and they did
the same thing again. Twice in one week.

well, crap! you keep changing things, and you'll keep getting
the same reaction!
Cats don't like changes, especially in their food.

Depends on the cat (doesn't everything?). Mine won't eat the same thing
two days running. (Not just the second half of a can that's been in the
fridge, but even a fresh can of the same flavor.)

Mine like a variety too.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl
Old December 23rd 14, 03:41 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

Default Soft Molasses Cookies

On 12/19/2014 8:43 AM, jmcquown wrote:

Recipe from Betty Crocker:

Soft Molasses Cookies

1 cup packed brown sugar
3/4 cup vegetable shortening
1/4 cup molasses
1 egg
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 Tablespoons granulated sugar

Heat oven to 325°F. In large bowl, beat brown sugar, shortening,
molasses and egg with electric mixer on medium speed, or mix with spoon.
Stir in remaining ingredients except granulated sugar.

Shape dough by rounded tablespoonfuls into 1 1/2-inch balls. Dip tops
into granulated sugar. On ungreased cookie sheet, place balls, sugared
sides up, about 2 inches apart.

Bake 13 to 16 minutes or just until set and cookies appear dry.
Immediately remove from cookie sheet to cooling rack.

Have you made these? My mom made some molasses cookies recently and they
puffed so high they were like half of a baseball. She didn't dip hers in
sugar, but that sounds like a nice touch.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl
Old December 23rd 14, 01:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/22/2014 10:41 PM, Cheryl wrote:
[...]

Years ago! I don't have much of a sweet tooth but I used to also make
peanut brittle and date-nuts-coconut candy, too. Puffy cookies sounds
like a bit too much baking soda.

Jill
Old December 23rd 14, 03:01 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
alien from planet x

Christina wrote:
"alien from planet x" wrote in message

wrote:

I bought another kind of canned food today, and they did
the same thing again. Twice in one week.

well, crap! you keep changing things, and you'll keep getting
the same reaction! Cats don't like changes, especially in their food.

Depends on the cat (doesn't everything?). Mine won't eat the same
thing two days running. (Not just the second half of a can that's been
in the fridge, but even a fresh can of the same flavor.)
I get Boyfie pouches. They come in 12 pouch boxes, 4 different flavours
in a box so he can have a different one at each meal. Several different
box options with 4 other flavours in, also in gravy, or in jelly. So
lots of variety, he never gets bored "oh, not this old thing again.."
Not that I think he would. I rarely get cans but if I do he doesn't mind
too much eating it twice even if it's been in the fridge, although he
prefers the pouches.

My three cats have healthy appetites who eat a large can of
food each day, along with all the dry they can eat. They also
enjoy walks, where they sometimes catch a snack or two.
They walk with me when I go outside, but otherwise would
be content to be couch potatoes, or tear through the house
like wild cats and destroy the old sofa, no big deal there.

I was worried the previous kind of food had too much soy
and not enough nutrition. The new kind has chunks of
meat & gravy.

--

Hmm, what kind of cat food has soy in it? Let's know it's name so we can
avoid it. Cats are obligate carnivores, they *need* meat as the main

It's a local supermarket brand. There aren't any more cans in the house
to get the name. One of the main ingredients was soy. I'm sure I've
heard somewhere soy is bad for cats, so decided to find better food.
I'm going to start giving them a can every other day, instead of every day,
for a while, and see how that goes.

The momma cat was born feral, so she eats anything. I've had her a
year on the 21st of December. She's an excellent cat. The kittens have
been raised with all the food they've ever wanted, so they have become
picky eaters. These two kittens are almost six months old and give the
momma a lot of joy, to play with, and teach. I'll probably keep them.
The cat had six boy kittens, no females. She's fixed now. She got
pregnant again when the kittens were four months old, I still had three
kittens left, at that time. It's been so difficult giving away kittens, I just
couldn't let her have more. :-(

Can someone suggest a website where it's easy to share pictures?

If they don't like the new food with meat, I wouldn't give them anything
else so they have no choice. It's in their best interest to eat meaty food
and I can assure you that they won't starve themselves by refusing it for
long, providing you remain firm. Like you eat this or go without, and they
may well be stubborn and go without to force you to do what they want, but
do not give in to this blackmail. Providing there is nothing wrong with
their health a stubborn cat saying "I only like this or that, and I have to
have it" doesn't work in my house. I provide a good meaty food and if my
cat says "no, I'd prefer chicken", bad luck that boy ;-) I take it away to
let him get hungrier. We don't do fussy about food here.

--
Islam is the rabies of religion
Old December 23rd 14, 04:10 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/23/2014 10:01 AM, alien from planet x wrote:

Christina wrote:
"alien from planet x" wrote in message

I was worried the previous kind of food had too much soy
and not enough nutrition. The new kind has chunks of
meat & gravy.

-- Hmm, what kind of cat food has soy in it? Let's know it's name

so we can avoid it. Cats are obligate carnivores, they *need* meat as
the main constituent of their diet.

It's a local supermarket brand. There aren't any more cans in the house
to get the name. One of the main ingredients was soy. I'm sure I've
heard somewhere soy is bad for cats, so decided to find better food.
I'm going to start giving them a can every other day, instead of every day,
for a while, and see how that goes.

You need to understand, Christina/Tweed is in the UK. Grains and
byproduct meal is common in supermarket brands in the US although things
seem to be trending away from it. I wouldn't have any way of knowing
what brands are available in the UK or what they contain. (She did once
*insist* Sheba brand canned cat food contains sugar. Turned out it
doesn't.)

The momma cat was born feral, so she eats anything. I've had her a
year on the 21st of December. She's an excellent cat. The kittens have
been raised with all the food they've ever wanted, so they have become
picky eaters. These two kittens are almost six months old and give the
momma a lot of joy, to play with, and teach. I'll probably keep them.
The cat had six boy kittens, no females. She's fixed now. She got
pregnant again when the kittens were four months old, I still had three
kittens left, at that time. It's been so difficult giving away kittens,
I just
couldn't let her have more. :-(
Can someone suggest a website where it's easy to share pictures?

Photobucket. Tinypic. Shutterfly. Flickr.

Jill
Old December 23rd 14, 11:08 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

On 12/23/2014 7:01 AM, alien from planet x wrote:

Christina wrote:
"alien from planet x" wrote in message

Christina wrote:
"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" wrote in

message ...

wrote:

[...]

I use PictureTrail.

--
Joy Unlimited
Colorful Crocheted Critters
Old December 24th 14, 12:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin

Grains and byproduct meal is common in supermarket brands in the US
although things seem to be trending away from it. I wouldn't have
any way of knowing what brands are available in the UK or what they
contain.

Most catfood in the UK, except the most expensive, contain "derivatives
of vegetable origin". Every time I've managed to get more information
about what that actually meant, it has included gluten grains.

My Splodge (RB) was very severely gluten-intolerant from birth, and
Chloe (aged 16) seems to have developed gluten intolerance in old age.
For both of them it would certainly have been fatal if we hadn't put
them on an exclusion diet. And since we free-feed all our cats, the
whole lot have to be kept gluten-free. This means they mainly eat
Arden Grange chicken and potato dry food (from Waitrose) and Kit-e-Kat
wet food in jelly (from the Co-op) with occasional tins of Butcher's
Choice wet food in jelly (also from the Co-op). They get a few other
things as treats, but no gluten ever.

All wet food in gravy contains wheat.

Feeding cats with this problem has got substantially harder over the
last ten years, with less brands available and most brands reducing
the number of gluten-free product lines they make.

Old December 24th 14, 01:19 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Cheryl[_3_]

On 12/23/2014 8:44 AM, jmcquown wrote:

Years ago! I don't have much of a sweet tooth but I used to also make
peanut brittle and date-nuts-coconut candy, too. Puffy cookies sounds
like a bit too much baking soda.

She wanted them that way. She called me up and said she FINALLY got them
to rise the way she wanted them to. They weren't a really sweet cookie.
Just right to my taste.

--
ღ.¸¸.✫*¨`*✶
Cheryl
Old December 24th 14, 01:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

On 12/23/2014 8:19 PM, Cheryl wrote:
On 12/23/2014 8:44 AM, jmcquown wrote:

Years ago! I don't have much of a sweet tooth but I used to also make
peanut brittle and date-nuts-coconut candy, too. Puffy cookies sounds
like a bit too much baking soda.

She wanted them that way. She called me up and said she FINALLY got them
to rise the way she wanted them to. They weren't a really sweet cookie.
Just right to my taste.

Nope, molasses cookies aren't overly sweet. Neither are gingersnaps
(which I've never made). I do have a good recipe for gingerbread,
though. That's another thing I haven't made in years.

Jill