More info. on my neighbor's little dogs - Update

Old October 14th 10, 07:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

Default More info. on my neighbor's little dogs - Update

I have found a good home for the little dogs, where they would be pampered
and kept together. This person already has two elderly poodles, and they
are greatly loved. However, I cannot move forward on this (or even find out
if my neighbor will permit the adoption) because she attempted to take her
own life yesterday and is in ICU. Ironically, I was very concerned about
this very thing, so I went early to a church meeting last night to see if
anyone had information about local suicide or crisis hotlines. By the time
I drove home, police cars and ambulances were parked in front of her house.
So, I have the information on what could be a very good adoption, but that
will have to wait for awhile during this crisis.

MaryL

Old October 14th 10, 07:50 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

I have found a good home for the little dogs, where they would be pampered
and kept together. This person already has two elderly poodles, and they
are greatly loved. However, I cannot move forward on this (or even find
out if my neighbor will permit the adoption) because she attempted to take
her own life yesterday and is in ICU. Ironically, I was very concerned
about this very thing, so I went early to a church meeting last night to
see if anyone had information about local suicide or crisis hotlines. By
the time I drove home, police cars and ambulances were parked in front of
her house. So, I have the information on what could be a very good
adoption, but that will have to wait for awhile during this crisis.

MaryL

I'm sorry you're mixed up in this mess, but very glad for those little dogs.
You are the epitome of a good neighbor. Does your neighbor have any
relatives you could talk to?

Joy

Old October 14th 10, 07:55 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Yes, she has a mother (85 years old and recently hospitalized herself) and a
brother and sister-in-law. However, I don't feel that we should try to take
any action at all until she is lucid and capable of discussing this and of
making decisions.

MaryL

Old October 14th 10, 08:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Joy

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

You're right, of course.

Joy

Old October 15th 10, 12:07 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MLB[_2_]

MaryL wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

Perhaps it would work best to suggest a "foster home" until she is able
to agree to adoption. Do you think the good couple would agree to act
in that capacity? What a mess. Sending you purrs and prayers for your
efforts. MLB
Old October 15th 10, 01:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"MLB" wrote in message
MaryL wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
. ..

[...]

She is being involuntarily committed by law enforcement, but it's not clear
how long that will last. Her mother is coming over to take care of the dogs
for the time being, so they would not fall under jurisdiction of animal
control. They are not getting the type of care I would prefer but
definitely not to the extent where animal control would seize them. I may
end of taking over again on a *very* temporary basis just to help her
mother. I'm really concerned about her health, but fostering is something I
have also been considering. I need to talk to the potential adoptors to see
if that is a possibility.

MaryL

Old October 15th 10, 02:30 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Storrmmee

i will pray for her to get better and make good decisions, and i will pray
for you to be able to deal with all of this stress, Lee

Old October 15th 10, 05:18 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

MaryL wrote:

I have found a good home for the little dogs, where they would be pampered
and kept together. This person already has two elderly poodles, and they
are greatly loved. However, I cannot move forward on this (or even find out
if my neighbor will permit the adoption) because she attempted to take her
own life yesterday and is in ICU. Ironically, I was very concerned about
this very thing, so I went early to a church meeting last night to see if
anyone had information about local suicide or crisis hotlines. By the time
I drove home, police cars and ambulances were parked in front of her house.
So, I have the information on what could be a very good adoption, but that
will have to wait for awhile during this crisis.

Good God! I admit I wasn't following this story really carefully - although
I did read your first couple of posts on it. But nothing you said about
this woman clued me in to this. I guess you were more observant about what
was going on with her. I thought her behavior was weird and irresponsible,
and as several people said, she seemed to be using you, and you were
rightfully fed up.

But now I wonder whether it wasn't so much her using you as it was her
simply being unable to make a decision, due to severe depression? Although
I still don't think you're obligated to drop everything for her. You
should do whatever you feel capable and willing to do. I think you've
done plenty by finding a home for the dogs.

But this revelation does give me a different perspective on her behavior.

Purrs for your neighbor, her poor dogs, and you!

Joyce

--
Who ever thought up the word "Mammogram"? Every time I hear it, I think
I'm supposed to put my breast in an envelope and send it to someone.
Old October 15th 10, 10:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
MaryL

"hopitus" wrote in message
On Oct 14, 5:07 pm, MLB wrote:
MaryL wrote:

"Joy" wrote in message
et...

. net...

[...]

When the woman made a (legit or not) suicide attempt, she put herself
and
her household in the jurisdiction of law enforcement, who needs no
suggestions
from anyone (and they got the senile mother's number, BTW) as to those
dogs'
welfare. Around here, that is what local animal shelters do.

- - - - - - - - - - -
Her mother is not senile. I'm sorry if I gave that impression. She is
elderly, overworked, in poor health, and desperate about her daughter's
condition. She has also let herself be badgered nearly to death over the
years by giving into her daughter's demands--but not senile.

MaryL

Old October 15th 10, 09:58 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Granby

Purrs and prayers for you, the neighbor and the dogs. Having been mixed up
in this sort of thing with a neighbor, years ago, I know how messy this can
get. I think you are right about waiting to see if she can come home and is
capable of making the right decisions.