OT (rant) - Some locals are just plain STUPID.

Old July 10th 05, 02:23 PM
Magic Mood Jeepİ

Default OT (rant) - Some locals are just plain STUPID.

DH & I were in Indianapolis yesterday to visit the Zoo. they have a new
Dolphin pavilion, where you can go underwater and watch the dolphins (and I
do mean underwater - they viewing area is an actual room, with domed roof)
that juts out into the tank http://www.indyzoo.com/content.aspx?CID=743)

The STUPID thing I am referring to happened right here in Bloomington, while
we were away. Some *IDOIT(s)* decided to take it upon theirselves to
firebomb the local Islamic Center's Mosque! Bloomington may seem like a
small town, but it contains the main campus of Indiana University, and we
have people from all over the world living here! This is going to create
hostility everywhere. STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID

But I digress. Here's a bit from the local paper's online version
(pay-to-view, so no link provided)

Mayor calls attack on mosque 'a blow on behalf of terrorism'

by James Boyd
Hoosier Times
July 10, 2005
BLOOMINGTON- Mayor Mark Kruzan condemned Saturday's vandalism at the
Bloomington Islamic Center's mosque, calling the vandals' actions an insult
to freedom.

"The person or persons responsible for this action need to understand that
they've just struck a blow on behalf of terrorism," Kruzan said in a
statement.
"They've chosen anarchy over democracy and insulted freedom."

Both federal and local law enforcement agencies were investigating the early
Saturday morning incident in which a Molotov cocktail was thrown through the
window of the mosque on A****er Avenue.

"At best, (the culprits are) sadly misguided vigilantes," Kruzan said. "At
worst, they're no better than those who target innocent civilians for their
'cause.' By attacking our friends in the Muslim community, these arsonists
have violated all of us."

Saturday's incident at the Bloomington Islamic Center's mosque happened less
than a block from the site of one of the city's most notorious hate crimes -
the July 1999 shooting death of Won-Joon Yoon, who was gunned down by white
supremacist Benjamin Smith.

Kruzan said everyone must work together to create a safe and welcoming
environment.

"Our individual and collective goal in a far too divided world must be to
promote understanding and peace."

_And another story_

Molotov cocktail thrown through window ignites small fire in Bloomington
Islamic Center's kitchen

by James Boyd
Hoosier Times
July 10, 2005

BLOOMINGTON - The bomb came through the window sometime before 2 a.m.,
leaving fractured glass and the tattered remains of a Quran in its wake.
Federal investigators are looking into what they called a hate crime
Saturday, after vandals threw a Molotov cocktail into a kitchen window at
the Bloomington Islamic Center, 1925 E. A****er Ave.

Nathan Ainslie and Dennis Childers sat in the kitchen Saturday morning,
surrounded by police tape, burning with questions.

Childers, who chairs the outreach program with the Islamic society, could
only wonder why such a thing would happen to anyone.

"It's just surreal," he said, the smell of charred wood still rising to
nose-level.
"You're horrified by it. It's surreal to see something like this happen to a
symbol of your faith and culture."

FBI spokeswoman Wendy Osborne said officers with their Joint Terrorism Task
Force are investigating the incident in conjunction with Bloomington police,
who are handling the crime scene investigation.

Citing the ongoing nature of the investigation, Osborne said she couldn't
release specific details about evidence that had been recovered from the
scene.

Childers, a member of the society's executive board, said a man who had been
traveling through the area had stopped in to pray.

"We're blessed that at about 2 a.m., he went to get some water and saw (the
fire). He happened to have a gallon of water in his hand and was able to put
it right out."

One window was shattered, a screen was bent, and there was still burnt wood
scattered on the kitchen floor Saturday afternoon.

"Had it been in a carpeted area, this would've been much more serious,"
Ainslie said.

Saturday's act of hate came just two days after a series of bombs ripped
through downtown London, killing upward of 50 people.

"I would find it hard not to connect them," Childers said. "It's the only
thing I can think of that would spark this."

Both Childers and Ainslie said they hadn't received any threats, and had no
leads as to who may have committed the act.

"Nobody, as far as I know, saw or heard anything," Childers said.

A similar incident occurred at the Planned Parenthood office at the end of
March when an arsonist threw an incendiary device into the office foyer.
Police wouldn't speculate on any possible connection.

"We don't understand why people would do this, to hurt people," Ainslie
said. "We've got to rise above being animals and be the humans we are."

All I can say is that I hope they catch the perp, and he/she gets convicted
for not only vandalizm, but for the much worse "hate crime"
--
The ONE and ONLY
in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)İ

Old July 10th 05, 02:33 PM
Magic Mood Jeepİ

Another link
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/4703502/detail.html

and can I just add:

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID

Magic Mood Jeepİ wrote:
[...]

former-blonde in Bloomington! (And proud of it, too)İ

Old July 10th 05, 03:18 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:23:14 GMT, "Magic Mood Jeepİ"
yodeled:

[...]

This kind of thing breaks my heart.

There is a sizable Muslim and Arab community in New York-- there are
several, in fact. We have lots of Pakistanis, Palestinians, Lebanese,
Turks-- even Albanians. The schools are full of children from these
backgrounds, and my mother teaches them. As the dust settled from
9/11, one of the first things we thought of were those children and
their families. We can't bear the thought of any STUPID harm coming
to these children, or their families.

When I hear things like this, first I think I'd like to try plunking
some of those "enlightened" people in your story down in the middle of
New York for a week, and see how they get along. OTOH, we really
don't need them here. :P

Theresa
Old July 10th 05, 03:19 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:33:08 GMT, "Magic Mood Jeepİ"
yodeled:

Another link
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/4703502/detail.html

and can I just add:

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID

Amen, sweetie.

Theresa
Old July 10th 05, 03:40 PM
Adrian

Magic Mood Jeepİ wrote:
[...]

These attacks are sickening, I'm worried that sooner or later more
innocent lives will be lost. Similar attacks are happening in England.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...cs/4669039.stm
--
Adrian (Owned by Snoopy & Bagheera)
A house is not a home, without a cat.

Old July 10th 05, 04:08 PM
Dan and Nancy Mahoney

When I hear things like this, first I think I'd like to try plunking
some of those "enlightened" people in your story down in the middle of
New York for a week, and see how they get along. OTOH, we really
don't need them here. :P

Theresa

I don't think we need them anywhere in the civilized world.
Old July 10th 05, 04:09 PM
Magic Mood Jeepİ

Kreisleriana wrote:
[...]

I have an idea - instead of plonking them down in the middle of NYC, since
they are so full of hatred (for everything they don't understand), let's
plonk them down in the middle of Mecca. I think they'd get torn to bits.
eg

Old July 10th 05, 05:48 PM
Magic Mood Jeepİ

Kreisleriana wrote:
On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 13:33:08 GMT, "Magic Mood Jeepİ"
yodeled:

Another link
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/4703502/detail.html

and can I just add:

STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID
STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID STUPID

Amen, sweetie.

Theresa

Does anyone remember an old episode of The Drew Carey Show where they went
to Lost Wages and Drew lost big time, and you see him stomping through a
water fountain outside the hotel/casino lobby, yelling "STUPID, STUPID" in
time with each stomp? (They also had some of the characters from the TV show
Coach in there too, kind of like a crossover, and Jerry Van Dyke's character
was on the other side of the fountain doing the same thing)

I would love to be doing that, but instead of stomping around in the
fountain, it would be all over these close-minded, bigoted inDUHviduals.

I guess that makes me prejudiced myself, being against bigots LOL

Old July 10th 05, 06:00 PM
jmcquown

Magic Mood Jeepİ wrote:
The STUPID thing I am referring to happened right here in
Bloomington, while we were away. Some *IDOIT(s)* decided to take it
upon theirselves to firebomb the local Islamic Center's Mosque!

(snippage)

/rant mode on
Idiots, one and all! The way to react to violence is *not* with more
violence.

I remember similar things happening down here in the mid-south (okay, not
bombings but vandalism) after 9/11 at Arab-run convenience stores. This is
just stupidity.

I happen to know some very nice people who are Muslim. Their religion does
not espouse the hatred the few middle eastern extremist groups who think
the "West" is evil.

When I go out of town, I call a cab to take me to the airport. The company
is owned by a man named Jamal who is from one of the middle-eastern
countries (sorry, don't recall which one). He told me he fled his country
as young man because his family was trying to raise him to HATE in the name
of Allah. He couldn't take being taught to hate people he didn't even know.
He's been an American citizen for 30 years. *This* is his country and he
was appalled at the events of 9/11 and I'm sure he's equally appalled at the
Al Quaeda bombings in London. Jamal is like my personal cab driver; even
though he owns the company, when I need a cab, he's the man who takes me to
the airport.

I shop regularly at a small convenience store (not a chain store like 7/11
or a gas station, just a family owned store) which was recently bought by a
family from Yemen. These are good, hard-working family-oriented people who
came here to better themselves. They are Muslim. They aren't taking flying
lessons or building bombs in the store room. They greet me as if I am a
member of the family. When they first acquired the store, Abdul introduced
himself and told me if there is anything they don't have in stock that I
want just let him know and he will try to get it. One day I went in and
Abdul was sitting at a table having lunch. His cousin's wife had made a
lamb meatball dish in a spicy gravy and he offered to share it with me! (I
would have loved to but I'd just eaten; it smelled heavenly and I love
lamb!)

Hate is a useless waste of energy. I wish the a**holes who think reprisals
such as the one at this Mosque in Bloomington would find some enlightenment.
Alas, they will not. Stupidity does run rampant.
/rant mode off

Jill

Old July 10th 05, 06:34 PM
Kreisleriana

On Sun, 10 Jul 2005 08:08:00 -0700, Dan and Nancy Mahoney
yodeled:

When I hear things like this, first I think I'd like to try plunking
some of those "enlightened" people in your story down in the middle of
New York for a week, and see how they get along. OTOH, we really
don't need them here. :P

Theresa

I don't think we need them anywhere in the civilized world.

Yes, I hear ya.

Theresa