A cat forum. CatBanter

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Go Back   Home » CatBanter forum » Cat Newsgroups » Cat anecdotes
Site Map Home Register Authors List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Web Partners

I think they got another one

Old March 4th 18, 03:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan
external usenet poster

Default I think they got another one

Upstairs in my local pub is flats- shared by Aaron, Dean and Crostin. Manager, bar man and chef respectively.

As it's a very old pub it has a rodent problem so although Aaron is allergic to cats a while back they acquired a half Bengal kitten to deal with that.. Solomon aka Solly had grown into a fine young cat who regularly demonstrates his worth by leaving evidence of his rodent killing skills where Aaron can see them and one more than one occasion stand in them!

This morning Aaron opened the door of the function room and bolted back out again with a cry of "Why is there a black cat in there?!"

Turns out Crostin has been feeding a local "feral" who started hanging round the back of the pub so Crostin left some odds and ends of chicken out for the cat. To start with the cat would stand back and watch him put it down but wouldn't approach the food until he moved away. Then it quickly got to the point said feline would wait by the door for food.

Last night was bitterly cold and Crostin saw the cat sitting outside in the snow and said "The poor thing deserves to live" and opened the door to the function room. The so-called "feral" immediately came inside and after some food and water found a hidey hole and went to sleep.

I don't think cat is a true feral.

Aaron was a bit annoyed because he got hissed at. As did Kim but that could just be the cat being shy.

Anyway Kim got some photos, a jet black semi longhair, age and gender unknown

We're all having a bet on how long before cat gets a name and his paws permanently under the table...

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs
Old March 4th 18, 04:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster

On 3/3/2018 9:34 PM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
Upstairs in my local pub is flats- shared by Aaron, Dean and Crostin. Manager, bar man and chef respectively.

As it's a very old pub it has a rodent problem so although Aaron is allergic to cats a while back they acquired a half Bengal kitten to deal with that. Solomon aka Solly had grown into a fine young cat who regularly demonstrates his worth by leaving evidence of his rodent killing skills where Aaron can see them and one more than one occasion stand in them!

This morning Aaron opened the door of the function room and bolted back out again with a cry of "Why is there a black cat in there?!"

Turns out Crostin has been feeding a local "feral" who started hanging round the back of the pub so Crostin left some odds and ends of chicken out for the cat. To start with the cat would stand back and watch him put it down but wouldn't approach the food until he moved away. Then it quickly got to the point said feline would wait by the door for food.

Last night was bitterly cold and Crostin saw the cat sitting outside in the snow and said "The poor thing deserves to live" and opened the door to the function room. The so-called "feral" immediately came inside and after some food and water found a hidey hole and went to sleep.

I don't think cat is a true feral.

Aaron was a bit annoyed because he got hissed at. As did Kim but that could just be the cat being shy.

Anyway Kim got some photos, a jet black semi longhair, age and gender unknown

We're all having a bet on how long before cat gets a name and his paws permanently under the table...

Lesley

Great story! I'm willing to bet the cat will have a name soon enough!

Jill
Old March 5th 18, 01:03 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan
external usenet poster

On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 3:27:46 PM UTC, Jill McQuown wrote:

Great story! I'm willing to bet the cat will have a name soon enough!

Cat still in residence in the function room. Now getting bolder, still hissing if people come too close (apart from Crostin where cat immediately runs up to him and asks for food) but the safe distance is getting smaller

Lesley

Old March 6th 18, 11:23 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan
external usenet poster

Cat now ventures out but comes back for food and now doesn't mind if it's not Crostin who comes out as long as whoever it is brings food

Lesley

Old March 8th 18, 03:57 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster

On 3/6/2018 5:23 PM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
Cat now ventures out but comes back for food and now doesn't mind if it's not Crostin who comes out as long as whoever it is brings food

Lesley

They've definitely been adopted! How long will it take, I wonder,
before the cat gets a name...

Jill
Old March 19th 18, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan
external usenet poster

Today the black cat ran in through the front doors downstairs then headed upstairs. Because of the bad weather they had to close to the door to the function room from outdoors so now the cat apparently checks that door then if it isn't open when Crostin comes out runs back downstairs through the front door and upstairs to get fed. Solly who is usually lurking downstairs has worked out if the black cat goes past then food is on offer and follows after all Crostin is only feeding black cat leftovers that would otherwise be binned- that's leftover bits of chicken, ham and beef i.e. Crostin's leftovers are a feline feast!

Black cat still not named but turns up for meals and on nights like tonight when it's very cold sleeps in the function room

Lesley

Old March 19th 18, 07:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster

On 3/18/2018 7:34 PM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
Today the black cat ran in through the front doors downstairs then headed upstairs. Because of the bad weather they had to close to the door to the function room from outdoors so now the cat apparently checks that door then if it isn't open when Crostin comes out runs back downstairs through the front door and upstairs to get fed. Solly who is usually lurking downstairs has worked out if the black cat goes past then food is on offer and follows after all Crostin is only feeding black cat leftovers that would otherwise be binned- that's leftover bits of chicken, ham and beef i.e. Crostin's leftovers are a feline feast!

Black cat still not named but turns up for meals and on nights like tonight when it's very cold sleeps in the function room

Lesley

I'm enjoying reading these updates. Thanks, Lesley! Any chance of any
pics of the black cat?

Jill
Old March 19th 18, 07:13 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster

On 3/19/2018 10:53 AM, Judith Latham wrote:
In article , Lesley
Madigan wrote:
Today the black cat ran in through the front doors downstairs then
headed upstairs. Because of the bad weather they had to close to the
door to the function room from outdoors so now the cat apparently checks
that door then if it isn't open when Crostin comes out runs back
downstairs through the front door and upstairs to get fed. Solly who is
usually lurking downstairs has worked out if the black cat goes past
then food is on offer and follows after all Crostin is only feeding
black cat leftovers that would otherwise be binned- that's leftover bits
of chicken, ham and beef i.e. Crostin's leftovers are a feline feast!

Black cat still not named but turns up for meals and on nights like
tonight when it's very cold sleeps in the function room

Lesley

At least Black cat is getting fed and shelter on bad days.

Judith

Absolutely, that's wonderful. I'm enjoying the tales of this Pub black
cat.

Jill
Old April 8th 18, 08:32 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Lesley Madigan
external usenet poster

On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 6:12:54 PM UTC, Jill McQuown wrote:

pics of the black cat?

It seems "George" (Yes they named him)now the weather is warmer had reverted to spending most of his time outside although he shows up for food. Crostin says he appears from nowhere as soon as he goes outside with the plate, which suggests to me he's nearby and knows when his mealtime is. When it's cold, Crostin leaves the function room window open just enough George can get in and leaves a pile of old towels under the bar. He's not seen George in there but he often finds the towels have been rearranged in the morning suggesting George comes in when the place is quiet for a warm sleep then as soon as he hears people moving around in the morning he heads off again.

Lesley

Old April 14th 18, 04:00 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]
external usenet poster

On 4/8/2018 3:32 PM, Lesley Madigan wrote:
On Monday, March 19, 2018 at 6:12:54 PM UTC, Jill McQuown wrote:

pics of the black cat?

It seems "George" (Yes they named him)now the weather is warmer had reverted to spending most of his time outside although he shows up for food. Crostin says he appears from nowhere as soon as he goes outside with the plate, which suggests to me he's nearby and knows when his mealtime is. When it's cold, Crostin leaves the function room window open just enough George can get in and leaves a pile of old towels under the bar. He's not seen George in there but he often finds the towels have been rearranged in the morning suggesting George comes in when the place is quiet for a warm sleep then as soon as he hears people moving around in the morning he heads off again.

Lesley

I think it's sweet! Please tell Crostin to say hello to George for me
if he sees him.

Lesley, it looks like you and I are the last holdouts here on RPCA
usenet. Did everyone flee to Facebook? Sorry, I tried it (again) but
just don't like it. Given the recent hacking info I will not jump on
that bandwagon again. Zuckerberg is backpeddling his way through those
hearings, as if data mining and the need for online security was a huge
surprise. ********!

Buffy is currently grooming herself in a puddle of sunshine after
batting a golf ball around the living room for a while.

Jill