Great toy!

Old October 1st 08, 06:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

Default Great toy!

Its called "Peek-a-Prize". Instead of putting the balls it comes with
inside, I throw some treats inside. Sly keeps patting and pushing the treats
with his paws one at time until he gets all of them out- no matter how long
it takes. He doesn't lose interest until he gets all the treats out. The
more I put in the longer he plays. This is a cat that wouldn't play with
anything after a swat or two. The box makes him use his instinct to hunt and
he gets the reward of the catch.

I think its a great toy.

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_Al...ize_/index.htm

Old October 2nd 08, 12:09 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "Phil P." :

Its called "Peek-a-Prize". Instead of putting the balls it
comes with inside, I throw some treats inside. Sly keeps patting
and pushing the treats with his paws one at time until he gets
all of them out- no matter how long it takes. He doesn't lose
interest until he gets all the treats out. The more I put in
the longer he plays. This is a cat that wouldn't play with
anything after a swat or two. The box makes him use his instinct
to hunt and he gets the reward of the catch.

I think its a great toy.

http://maxshouse.com/Mine/Sly/Sly_Al...ize_/index.htm

My wife purchased this based on your previous recommendation. Most
helpful! Especially for our larger cat who's belly swings back and
forth as he trots. Being declawed he doesn't enjoy the climbing
activities as do the other cats and it's been a tough diet with him
grazing dog food at every opportunity.

Is there a limit to the treats? I would like to see the larger cat
exercising a bit longer but is there something I could replace
treats with that would still entice?

Thanks for any information.

--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.
Old October 3rd 08, 02:48 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"-Lost" wrote in message
Response to "Phil P." :

[...]

Just be sure to include the treats as part of the cat's total caloric
intake. Temptations contain about 2 kcal each. I also use t/d which
contains about 265 kcal/cup (2.7 oz) which breaks down to less kcal/piece.

Phil

Old October 3rd 08, 07:05 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Phil P." wrote in message

"-Lost" wrote in message
Response to "Phil P." :

[...]

I did the math. Actually, they contain about the same kcal/piece. There are
about 140 pieces of t/d in a cup of t/d.

Old October 3rd 08, 07:09 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Ken[_4_]

"Phil P." wrote in
:

"-Lost" wrote in message
Response to "Phil P." :

[...]

I go to Wal-Mart tomorrow and will look for this. I feed my cat 1/4 cup
dry food in the morning, then 1 1/2 oz wet food in the afternoon and in
the evening. Could I put her dry food ration in this toy and make her
work for it? I've not seen it so have no idea if this is possible.

Ken

Old October 3rd 08, 07:22 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"Ken" wrote in message
"Phil P." wrote in
:

"-Lost" wrote in message
Response to "Phil P." :

[...]

Sure.

I doubt Wal-Mart carries it. I've only seen them online. I bought mine
from Amazon.com for about $25. Be sure you get a Peek-a-Prize and not the
Peek and Play. The latter is too small.

Phil

Old October 3rd 08, 07:34 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
AZ Nomad[_2_]

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 18:22:45 GMT, Phil P. wrote:
I go to Wal-Mart tomorrow and will look for this. I feed my cat 1/4 cup
dry food in the morning, then 1 1/2 oz wet food in the afternoon and in
the evening. Could I put her dry food ration in this toy and make her
work for it?

Sure.

I doubt Wal-Mart carries it. I've only seen them online. I bought mine
from Amazon.com for about $25. Be sure you get a Peek-a-Prize and not the
Peek and Play. The latter is too small.

Phil

I've found an inverse relationship between how much is spent on a cat toy
and how much amusement the cats will give it.

I can't imagine any of my jaded kitties being impressed with a box full of
holes.

The best toy I've yet to find is a fishing pole with feathers at the end of a
string. Luna, a dopey persian, will play with it until I get tired; mongo
will stalk and attack it for a maximum of twenty seconds; and it scares freddy
the newest member of the house who is an enormous male tabby and is only
interested in back, face and belly rubs.
Old October 3rd 08, 08:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
Phil P.

"AZ Nomad" wrote in message
On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 18:22:45 GMT, Phil P. wrote:
I go to Wal-Mart tomorrow and will look for this. I feed my cat 1/4 cup
dry food in the morning, then 1 1/2 oz wet food in the afternoon and in
the evening. Could I put her dry food ration in this toy and make her
work for it?

Sure.

I doubt Wal-Mart carries it. I've only seen them online. I bought mine
from Amazon.com for about $25. Be sure you get a Peek-a-Prize and not the
Peek and Play. The latter is too small.

Phil

I can't imagine any of my jaded kitties being impressed with a box full of
holes.

Its not the holes that keeps the cat interested- its the treats inside the
holes that the cat has to "catch" to eat.

Old October 4th 08, 03:55 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.health+behav
-Lost

Response to "Phil P." :

snip

Is there a limit to the treats? I would like to see the
larger cat exercising a bit longer but is there something I
could replace treats with that would still entice?

Thanks for any information.

Just be sure to include the treats as part of the cat's total
caloric intake. Temptations contain about 2 kcal each. I also
use t/d which contains about 265 kcal/cup (2.7 oz) which breaks
down to less kcal/piece.

I did the math. Actually, they contain about the same
kcal/piece. There are about 140 pieces of t/d in a cup of t/d.

Thank you for this information. Based on your response to "Ken" I
will also incorporate kibble in the toy as the larger cat enjoys it
most. I'm sure due in part if not wholly because of its fat
content.
--
-Lost
kidding. No I am not.