97-Year-Old Woman Says Cat's Yowling Saved Her From Fire

Old August 2nd 08, 06:44 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

Default 97-Year-Old Woman Says Cat's Yowling Saved Her From Fire

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.
--
The ONE and ONLY
Old August 2nd 08, 08:37 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Magic Mood Jeep ? wrote:

Oh, great story, thanks for posting! And I loved the photo - that kitty
looked so sweet and devoted to her human, didn't she?

One thing I wonder, though. If the woman had the cat in her arms because
she was planning to put her outside, and then she smelled smoke so she
realized she had to get out immediately, why did the firefighters have to
rescue the cat from the house? Why didn't the woman just *bring the cat
outside with her*?? I read this sort of story a lot. The person has the
cat, they escape from the fire, and somehow, the cat's in the house and has
to be rescued?

I know, you can't second-guess someone's actions during a fire - a 97
-year-old, no less. And I'm not blaming the woman, I'm just curious as
to how that could happen. I always imagine that if my house were on fire,
I would probably go down with the house because I'd still be inside
trying to dig Licky out from behind some inaccessible place, or something.
I sure hope I wouldn't leave them behind!

--
Joyce ^..^

Old August 2nd 08, 08:41 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Magic Mood Jeep ©

wrote:
Magic Mood Jeep ? wrote:

[...]

I wondered the same thing... but then again, sometimes that cat just
doesn't WANT to go out (fire or not).

Old August 2nd 08, 08:46 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Magic Mood Jeep © wrote:

Another good argument for promoting companion animals for the elderly!
(Although one wonders how "elderly" she can be, if she still wears
something as trendy as "bikini" underwear at age 97!)
Old August 2nd 08, 10:11 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) wrote:
Magic Mood Jeep © wrote:

Another good argument for promoting companion animals for the elderly!
(Although one wonders how "elderly" she can be, if she still wears
something as trendy as "bikini" underwear at age 97!)

I don't know about a 97 year old in bikini underwear, how abou a 102 year
old stripping naked for a calendar.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7535796.stm
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 2nd 08, 10:18 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Adrian[_2_]

Magic Mood Jeep wrote:

Another good argument for promoting companion animals for the
elderly! (Although one wonders how "elderly" she can be, if she
still wears something as trendy as "bikini" underwear at age 97!)

I don't know about a 97 year old in bikini underwear, how abou a 102
year
old stripping naked for a
calendar.http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7535796.stm --
Cats leave pawprints on your
hearthttp://community.webshots.com/user/clowderuk

LOL. Am unable to get the video report to go off....probably for the
best all around.
What you posted strikes fear in my heart, Adrian.

I actually saw the report on television, it was very tastefully done and the
lady was an inspiration.
Cats leave pawprints on your heart

Old August 3rd 08, 11:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Magic Mood Jeep © wrote:
^..^ This is Kitty. Copy and paste Kitty into your signature to
help

her wipe out Bunny's world domination.

Good for the cat! But what a shame she cancelled her homeowners insurance!
I guess she figured after paying for and not needing it for 50 years...
(sigh)

Jill

Old August 3rd 08, 12:30 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

Magic Mood Jeep © wrote:

Another good argument for promoting companion animals for the elderly!
(Although one wonders how "elderly" she can be, if she still wears
something as trendy as "bikini" underwear at age 97!)

Hey, she can sleep in the buff for all I care At least she was wearing
*something* when she went outside and flagged down a car!

Jill

Old August 3rd 08, 12:31 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
jmcquown[_2_]

wrote:
Magic Mood Jeep ? wrote:

Oh, great story, thanks for posting! And I loved the photo - that
kitty looked so sweet and devoted to her human, didn't she?

One thing I wonder, though. If the woman had the cat in her arms
because she was planning to put her outside, and then she smelled
smoke so she realized she had to get out immediately, why did the
firefighters have to rescue the cat from the house?

The cat probably jumped down and ran back inside. Maybe it wanted to rescue
a kitty-toy or catnip or something

Jill

Old August 3rd 08, 04:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
kilikini

Magic Mood Jeep © wrote:
wrote:
Magic Mood Jeep ? wrote:

[...]

When our central A/C air handler's capacitor blew up a few years ago and
smoke filled the house, we called 911. The first thing I thought of was the
cats BEFORE even making the call to 911; my husband was yelling at me to
make the call and I was looking for the "kids". I couldn't find them. I
was frantic! With that acrid, electrical smoke all over the house, the cats
were in hiding.

After I placed the call to 911, my husband got out the cat carriers, but by
then the firemen had arrived. They were here FAST, I'm tellin' ya. They
told us to get out and then went up into the attic. They confirmed some
fire damage, but it had already put itself out. They hung out for about 10
minutes to make sure it was done and after they left, a few hours later, the
cats appeared from out of nowhere. It makes me nervous to think of what
could happen if our house were to actually burn down. We live in a tiny
house, but cats have a way of hiding, as we all know. What if we can't get
them into a carrier quickly enough? I don't know. It's just another thing
I think about.

kili