Question on breeds

Old January 6th 05, 07:15 PM
Mathew Kagis

Default Question on breeds

My 6 month old kitten, Chablis, has gone through a REAL growth spurt in the
last month or so. She was adopted from a shelter (&was scrawny & unhealthy
when I got her). Is a tuxedo black & white, med hair, has curled fur
extending from her ears (like a lynx) & has very long, slightly curved
eyebrow whiskers. Do any of these traits denote Maine Coon or some other
large breed ?

I have no idea whatsoever.
--
Mathew
Butler to 2 kittens: Chablis & Muscat

Old January 6th 05, 08:41 PM
Mathew Kagis

On 2005-01-06, Mathew Kagis penned:

Clearly, you must share pictures. A picture's worth a thousand words!

Furry ears I think can be a Maine Coon trait. Also great tufts of fur
between the paws.

--
monique, roommate of Oscar the (female) grouch
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I promise pics by next week. A whole bunch still in the camera... Gotta
finish the roll, develop & use a freind's scanner... etc.....

Old January 6th 05, 08:44 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

Old January 6th 05, 09:50 PM
jmc

On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:44:38 -0700, all of a sudden, "Monique Y.
Mudama" exclaimed:

On 2005-01-06, Mathew Kagis penned:

My 6 month old kitten, Chablis, has gone through a REAL growth spurt in the
last month or so. She was adopted from a shelter (&was scrawny & unhealthy
when I got her). Is a tuxedo black & white, med hair, has curled fur
extending from her ears (like a lynx) & has very long, slightly curved
eyebrow whiskers. Do any of these traits denote Maine Coon or some other
large breed ?

I have no idea whatsoever.

Clearly, you must share pictures. A picture's worth a thousand words!

Furry ears I think can be a Maine Coon trait. Also great tufts of fur
between the paws.

Don't forget the long, luxurious tail (Mouse's was probably 2/3 her
body length) and the tendency to "peep".

We want pictures, though g - Norwegian Forest Cats are very similar
to Maine Coons.

Jodi

jmc
usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.
Old January 6th 05, 09:57 PM
Mathew Kagis

"jmc" wrote in message
On Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:44:38 -0700, all of a sudden, "Monique Y.
Mudama" exclaimed:

Don't forget the long, luxurious tail (Mouse's was probably 2/3 her
body length) and the tendency to "peep".

We want pictures, though g - Norwegian Forest Cats are very similar
to Maine Coons.

Jodi

jmc
usenet [at] jodi [dit] ws
Any day you learn something isn't a total waste.

The long, luxurious tail is there, she doeesn't 'peep' as much as 'trills',
but it's quite common with her... Pics are coming, I promise...Next week.

Old January 6th 05, 10:36 PM
Darmok

On Thu, 06 Jan 2005 19:15:39 GMT, "Mathew Kagis"
wrote:

My 6 month old kitten, Chablis, has gone through a REAL growth spurt in the
last month or so. She was adopted from a shelter (&was scrawny & unhealthy
when I got her). Is a tuxedo black & white, med hair, has curled fur
extending from her ears (like a lynx) & has very long, slightly curved
eyebrow whiskers. Do any of these traits denote Maine Coon or some other
large breed ?

I have no idea whatsoever.

Go to http://www.cfainc.org/breeds/profiles/maine.html and look up the
breed standard for Maine Coons and/or any other breeds. Many people
who come into the possession of a long haired cat that has some size,
automatically think that they have a Maine Coon. The only way you can
be sure, is if you have its pedigree papers showing its lineage. Your
cat might be what some breeders consider "foundation stock". OTOH, it
may just be a large, long-haired cat. Without papers, its impossible
to tell. At best, you could speculate that it perhaps has some traits
of a Maine Coon .. but that is a long way from making it a Maine Coon
(or any other breed, for that matter).

Old January 6th 05, 10:52 PM
Charlotte Dunne

tufty ears, tufty, huge paws, long hair that doesn't look that long, but
can be up to 9 inches long on spine and tail. I'm not sure how much
Chablis weighs, but as a comparison, at six months, kitty weighed 12
pounds lean, at 3 years he now weighs 20lbs and has the start of a
paunch between his back legs, so he could probably drop a pound or two.

Tufy ears, check. Shaggy coat, check. Long whiskers, check!
http://www.obviouspowerplay.net/tabb...-kitty-sit.jpg

Size Comparison (little cat was 8 months and about 8lbs in these pics)
http://www.obviouspowerplay.net/tabb...ugs11-3-02.JPG

And some pictures of the monster at 8 weeks (which kind of clued us in
that he was going to get big)

http://www.obviouspowerplay.net/tabb...kittypics.html

Except for when he lays crossways and takes up the whole double bed, I
do love me them big cats.

Charlotte & tabbynation
(remove the kitty to reply)

Old January 6th 05, 10:54 PM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-01-06, Darmok penned:
[...]

And in the end, it really doesn't matter. I doubt Mathew was going to try to
advertise breeding services or anything; just curious about his cat's
heritage, as I think most of us are about our un-papered darlings.

"Foundation stock." Sounds like something you'd put in a soup, to me. Bleh!

It's fun to speculate about whether my Oscar is maybe part maine coon (she has
tufts between her toes, anyway), but it doesn't really matter. It's just fun
to wonder about.

Oh, Mathew, I seem to recall being told that female maine coons can sometimes
be as small as nine pounds, so .... even if she is a maine coon, she might not
get huge. Maybe.

Old January 6th 05, 11:10 PM
Karen Chuplis

in article FnhDd.53223$dv1.23175@edtnps89, Mathew Kagis at
wrote on 1/6/05 2:41 PM:

When you develop the pictures, just choose to also get a CD of digital pics
and save yourself some headache.