fondue dinner

Old April 16th 06, 10:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Default fondue dinner

On 2006-04-16, jmcquown penned:

We have The Melting Pot here, too. I've never been there. I
remember a couple of years back they advertised New Years Eve dinner
"*only* $99 per person including a complimentary glass of champagne
at midnight!" I thought to myself, heh, I can do fondue at home for
a heck of a lot less than that and have all the champagne I want,
too!

Ouch! I'd have to agree with you. Even after the cost of the meat,
the four of us ate for a lot less than that. Then again, there would
have been a lot of in-progress cleanup or several fondue pots
necessary if we wanted to also do chocolate fondue for dessert.

But to my way of thinking, you are "cooking" your own food. Doesn't make
sense to me to go somewhere and pay to cook your own food. There is a
steakhouse here where you grill your own steaks on a braii that is wheeled
to your table. It's a top dollar restaurant. Why go to a restaurant and
cook your own steak at $40 a pop? Okay, so they'll bring you a baked potato
and some fries and a salad. Big whup!

That's a nifty feature if you have an electric one. A lap full of
hot cheese sauce wouldn't be much fun, either

Not at all! Some people gave this fondue set negative reviews for
having this style of cord attachment, which granted can come loose
pretty easily. I think they must have a screw loose. The power cord
*is* awfully short, but it's easy enough to add an extension cord.

Now that's funny. Do they think you're going to be eating standing in the
kitchen where there is an electric outlet right on the wall next to the
stove or at the table in the dining room where the nearest outlet is
probably a good 4-6 feet away from the table?

Jill

Old April 17th 06, 12:34 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:
On 2006-04-16, jmcquown penned:

[...]

Its a legal thing. They don't want to provide a cord long enough to touch
the floor and get tripped over. If you add your own longer cord, then its
your own fault if you get hurt so you can't sue them.

Jo

Old April 17th 06, 12:40 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-16, jmcquown penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Ouch! I'd have to agree with you. Even after the cost of the
meat, the four of us ate for a lot less than that. Then again,
there would have been a lot of in-progress cleanup or several
fondue pots necessary if we wanted to also do chocolate fondue for
dessert.

But to my way of thinking, you are "cooking" your own food. Doesn't
make sense to me to go somewhere and pay to cook your own food.
There is a steakhouse here where you grill your own steaks on a
braii that is wheeled to your table. It's a top dollar restaurant.
Why go to a restaurant and cook your own steak at $40 a pop? Okay,
so they'll bring you a baked potato and some fries and a salad. Big
whup!

Well, I for one don't own a braii (what's a braii?)

Now that's funny. Do they think you're going to be eating standing
in the kitchen where there is an electric outlet right on the wall
next to the stove or at the table in the dining room where the
nearest outlet is probably a good 4-6 feet away from the table?

Indeed.

Actually, we have been doing this at the kitchen table, but the cord
is only about 3 feet long, if that, and about the only way that could
be sufficient is if the table itself somehow has an outlet!

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 17th 06, 12:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:40:37 -0600, "Monique Y. Mudama"

On 2006-04-16, jmcquown penned:
Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

Ouch! I'd have to agree with you. Even after the cost of the
meat, the four of us ate for a lot less than that. Then again,
there would have been a lot of in-progress cleanup or several
fondue pots necessary if we wanted to also do chocolate fondue for
dessert.

But to my way of thinking, you are "cooking" your own food. Doesn't
make sense to me to go somewhere and pay to cook your own food.
There is a steakhouse here where you grill your own steaks on a
braii that is wheeled to your table. It's a top dollar restaurant.
Why go to a restaurant and cook your own steak at $40 a pop? Okay,
so they'll bring you a baked potato and some fries and a salad. Big
whup!

Well, I for one don't own a braii (what's a braii?)

Judging from the results of a Google search, braii is the South
African term for a barbecue grill. In the situation described above,
a gas grill seems more likely than a charcoal or electric grill.

--
John F. Eldredge --
PGP key available from
Old April 17th 06, 12:59 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

Monique Y. Mudama wrote:

We played my personal favorite game, which
is sort of like Uno with farm animals and buckets.

That sounds hilarious!

That game has just the right mix, for me, of smack talk and silliness.

What is "smack talk"? I've never heard that expression before.

But I know what you mean about enjoying silly games. I usually prefer
games that emphasize socializing over ones that are more competitive.
I get very tense in competitive games and don't find it fun. But social
games, such as "Pictionary" (or Charades, which Pictionary was based
on, essentially), are very relaxing and enjoyable to me.

We added a "house rule" that the loser had to make the sound of the
animal they'd just lost to.

LOL!!!

Joyce
Old April 17th 06, 01:44 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-16, Jo Firey penned:

Its a legal thing. They don't want to provide a cord long enough to
touch the floor and get tripped over. If you add your own longer
cord, then its your own fault if you get hurt so you can't sue them.

Ah. That makes a sad sense.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old April 17th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

On 2006-04-16 16:59:48 -0700, said:

What is "smack talk"? I've never heard that expression before.

around here, "talking smack" usually means (good natured) insults.

Old April 17th 06, 03:24 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

Well, I for one don't own a braii (what's a braii?)

another word for a BBQ. It is what BBQs are called in South Africa,
so now I'm interested in why Jill uses that term :^)

Tish, who now has a hankerin' for boerewors (a kind of beef and pork
farmer's sausage spiced with cumin, corriander and a touch of cloves)
Old April 17th 06, 03:43 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

Well, I for one don't own a braii (what's a braii?)

another word for a BBQ. It is what BBQs are called in South Africa,
so now I'm interested in why Jill uses that term :^)

I chat with a woman who lives in South Africa and that's what she calls
them; guess it just rubbed off on me Sounds better than saying someone
wheels a BBQ grill up to your table in a restaurant!

Tish, who now has a hankerin' for boerewors (a kind of beef and pork
farmer's sausage spiced with cumin, corriander and a touch of cloves)

Sounds good; I'll have to ask her about that!

Old April 17th 06, 03:45 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes

wrote:

Well, I for one don't own a braii (what's a braii?)

another word for a BBQ. It is what BBQs are called in South Africa,
so now I'm interested in why Jill uses that term :^)

I chat with a woman who lives in South Africa and that's what she calls
them; guess it just rubbed off on me Sounds better than saying someone
wheels a BBQ grill up to your table in a restaurant!

Tish, who now has a hankerin' for boerewors (a kind of beef and pork
farmer's sausage spiced with cumin, corriander and a touch of cloves)

Sounds good; I'll have to ask her about that!

it's basically a heart attack on a plate (a good sausage is a fatty
and somewhat salty sausage), but it taste's *so* good! It's difficult
to limit ones-self to just a small portion.

Tish