Good news for Treating Persia's Dandruff

Old October 3rd 05, 05:28 PM
jmcquown

Default Good news for Treating Persia's Dandruff

I checked with her vet since she had bladder surgery in 2004 (stones and a
benign tumor). Dermcaps is perfectly acceptable; he says it won't hurt her
a bit on her special x/d diet. This is good since I have practically a full
bottle of the liquid and another unopened bottle.

I brush her a couple of times a week and she's a fairly short-haired kitty.
But she's got some very noticeable dandruff by the base of her tail. She
does elevator butt! when I scritch her there (I just know it feels good!)
which produces more flakes. I'm happy to report I can give her a squirt of
Dermcaps liquid on her food without adversely affecting her diet. It worked
wonders before the surgery to keep her coat sleek and her skin from being
dry. I just had to make sure it was still okay, and it is. Yay!

Jill

Old October 3rd 05, 07:23 PM

On Mon, 3 Oct 2005 11:28:15 -0500, "jmcquown"
wrote:

I checked with her vet since she had bladder surgery in 2004 (stones and a
benign tumor). Dermcaps is perfectly acceptable; he says it won't hurt her
a bit on her special x/d diet. This is good since I have practically a full
bottle of the liquid and another unopened bottle.

I brush her a couple of times a week and she's a fairly short-haired kitty.
But she's got some very noticeable dandruff by the base of her tail. She
does elevator butt! when I scritch her there (I just know it feels good!)
which produces more flakes. I'm happy to report I can give her a squirt of
Dermcaps liquid on her food without adversely affecting her diet. It worked
wonders before the surgery to keep her coat sleek and her skin from being
dry. I just had to make sure it was still okay, and it is. Yay!

Jill

That's great, Jill.

Trill is our dandruffy cat. I just bought some kitten/puppy shampoo
for the dirty little kittens I'm housing at the moment (no matter how
many times I tell them, a litterbox is NOT a good place to lay, they
ignore me -- but at least they both are *using * it now), and it's
all-natural and supposed to take care of dandruff. I'm debating using
it on Trill. I haven't bathed a cat since 1972 or 1973, and so far, I
haven't tried to bathe the kittens yet, either. I have visions of me
looking like something out of a horror movie by the time I'm done!
lol!

Best of luck to you and Persia,

Ginger-lyn

Home Pages:
http://www.spiritrealm.com/summer/
Animals in Movies Website)
Old October 4th 05, 12:32 AM
Christina Websell

wrote:

[...]

I don't know if this works for cats, but for dogs putting a lump of
margarine in their food daily sorts out any dandruff. It can't hurt to try
it.

Dogs can also throw up dandruff in their coat when they are stressed. I
don't know why, or how it's possible, but on several occasions when a dog of
mine realised s/he was on the way to the vet they would be covered in
dandruff when they got there, despite having shown no sign of it before.
The vet confirmed that this was not unusual.

Tweed

Old October 4th 05, 12:48 AM
jmcquown

wrote:

[...]

When my dog Sampson was alive he'd shed copious amounts of fur at the vet
when placed on the exam table. Never noticed he had dandruff but if he had
had it probably would have come up as well. Poor little fellow just shook
like crazy and piddled on the table. He was truly afraid of the vet.

Persia just tries to hide under my arm. She figures if she can't see them
they can't see her.

I gave her crunchies a couple of squirts of the Dermcaps liquid and she
didn't turn up her nose. In a few days with a couple of good brushings in
between she should be dandruff free.

Jill

Old October 4th 05, 01:00 AM
Monique Y. Mudama

On 2005-10-03, Christina Websell penned:

Dogs can also throw up dandruff in their coat when they are
stressed. I don't know why, or how it's possible, but on several
occasions when a dog of mine realised s/he was on the way to the vet
they would be covered in dandruff when they got there, despite
having shown no sign of it before. The vet confirmed that this was
not unusual.

Come to think of it, Puma did this, too. Loads of dandruff whenever
he went to the vet.

--
monique, who spoils Oscar unmercifully

Old October 4th 05, 03:35 AM
CATherine

wrote:

I checked with her vet since she had bladder surgery in 2004 (stones and a
benign tumor). Dermcaps is perfectly acceptable; he says it won't hurt her
a bit on her special x/d diet. This is good since I have practically a full
bottle of the liquid and another unopened bottle.

I brush her a couple of times a week and she's a fairly short-haired kitty.
But she's got some very noticeable dandruff by the base of her tail. She
does elevator butt! when I scritch her there (I just know it feels good!)
which produces more flakes. I'm happy to report I can give her a squirt of
Dermcaps liquid on her food without adversely affecting her diet. It worked
wonders before the surgery to keep her coat sleek and her skin from being
dry. I just had to make sure it was still okay, and it is. Yay!

Jill

I wonder if derm caps would help Sheba's dandruff with her diabetes.
My dog took them for a long time and they added the weight to her. But
they were good for her coat. What about Vitamin E caps?

--
CATherine
Old October 4th 05, 09:03 AM
jmcquown

wrote:

I checked with her vet since she had bladder surgery in 2004 (stones
and a benign tumor). Dermcaps is perfectly acceptable; he says it
won't hurt her a bit on her special x/d diet. This is good since I
have practically a full bottle of the liquid and another unopened
bottle.

Jill

I wonder if derm caps would help Sheba's dandruff with her diabetes.
My dog took them for a long time and they added the weight to her. But
they were good for her coat. What about Vitamin E caps?

Do as I did and check with the vet. The Dermcaps I have is a liquid rather
than a capsule (I suppose the name is patented) so no need for pilling, just
squirt it right on the food. It says it is for cats *and* dogs so I'm sure
it's the same stuff. I don't know about the weight gain; the vet is
concerned about Persia being "fluffy" but didn't have a problem with my
adding this to her food a few times a week, so.... your guess is as good as
mine.

Jill