What the...? (OT, sort of)

Old May 24th 07, 08:56 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes,alt.cats,rec.pets.cats.misc
Ketzl's Dad

Default What the...? (OT, sort of)

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Santa Fe Springs, CA -- May 23, 2007 -- Hong Chang
Corporation, Santa Fe Springs, CA is recalling product labeled as monkfish
because it may contain tetrodotoxin, a potent toxin. Although the product was
identified as monkfish, we are concerned the product may be pufferfish
because this toxin is usually associated with certain types of pufferfish.
Consumption of foods containing tetrodotoxin can result in life-threatening
illness or death. This toxin cannot be destroyed by cooking or freezing.

Initial symptoms occur within 30 minutes to several hours after consuming
food containing the toxin and are characterized by lip and tongue tingling
and then followed by facial and extremity tingling and numbness. Subsequent
symptoms may include headache, balance problems, excessive salivation,
nausea, vomiting, and diarrhea with abdominal pain which can be severe. In
severe cases, muscles can become paralyzed and death may follow resulting
from respiratory muscle paralysis. Consumers experiencing these symptoms
should seek immediate medical care.

A total of 282, 22-lb. boxes of monkfish were distributed to wholesalers in
Illinois, California and Hawaii beginning in September 2006. This product was
sold in retail stores, restaurants, and cash and carry stores in these
regions.

The monkfish are individually packaged in clear plastic sleeves and placed in
a plastic liner which is inside a cardboard box. There are no lot numbers on
the box. The boxes are packed by total weight, 22 pounds, with labeling on
one panel that reads "MONK FISH GUTTED AND HEAD-OFF PRODUCT OF CHINA". A
second box panel bears nutritional facts and the following, "Ingredients:
Monk fish; Imported by: Hong Chang Corp, Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670; Product
of China (P.R.C.)."

The problem was discovered after two people in the Chicago, IL area fell ill
after consuming soup made with the "monkfish". The Food and Drug
Administration's (FDA) analysis of the fish confirmed the presence of
life-threatening levels of tetrodotoxin.

At this time, Hong Chang Corp. and FDA are investigating how the problem
occurred.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Not laughing at the moment.

Old May 24th 07, 09:12 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

On Thu, 24 May 2007 19:56:14 +0000, Ketzl's Dad wrote:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Santa Fe Springs, CA -- May 23, 2007 -- Hong Chang
Corporation, Santa Fe Springs, CA is recalling product labeled as monkfish
because it may contain tetrodotoxin, a potent toxin. Although the product was
identified as monkfish, we are concerned the product may be pufferfish
because this toxin is usually associated with certain types of pufferfish.
Consumption of foods containing tetrodotoxin can result in life-threatening
illness or death. This toxin cannot be destroyed by cooking or freezing.

Damn - this is getting ridiculous.

No more imported foodstuffs for me.
Old May 24th 07, 09:27 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Ketzl's Dad quoted:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Santa Fe Springs, CA -- May 23, 2007 --
Hong Chang Corporation, Santa Fe Springs, CA is recalling product
labeled as monkfish because it may contain tetrodotoxin, a potent
toxin. Although the product was identified as monkfish, we are
concerned the product may be pufferfish

[snip]

At this time, Hong Chang Corp. and FDA are investigating how the
problem occurred.

Duh... It's the exporter, stupid!!!

How can anyone even think about important anything from China, given
that a deadly poison seems to crop up in food and medicine almost weekly?
Until the Chinese government can get its act together and take control
over its export industry, *we need an embargo*.

I'd say we should all boycott China, but unless local manufacturing goes
along with it, there's almost no way for consumers to avoid eating Chinese-
exported ingredients.

I'm utterly amazed to hear so little outrage over this. Doesn't anyone
care that criminals are selling poison disguised as food? And that even
though it's been different toxins, found in different foods, there is one
common denominator here?

Joyce
Old May 24th 07, 09:38 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

How can anyone even think about important anything from China, given
that a deadly poison seems to crop up in food and medicine almost weekly?
Until the Chinese government can get its act together and take control
over its export industry, *we need an embargo*.

Absolutely. I've been trying to avoid Chinese products whenever I could.
But after this, when I go shopping for something, if the only product I
can find is Chinese I'll do without. No more Chinese products for me.

I'm utterly amazed to hear so little outrage over this. Doesn't anyone
care that criminals are selling poison disguised as food? And that even
though it's been different toxins, found in different foods, there is
one common denominator here?

This makes me wonder all the more if this isn't being done deliberately.
Sure, maybe I'm too paranoid for my own good, but it looks to me like
we're under attack, albeit a semi-covert attack, by China.

I can see a greedy cereal supplier spiking his product with a chemical to
make it look like it's got a higher protein content. But pufferfish? Good
Bast, that stuff will kill you!
Old May 24th 07, 09:45 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

On Thu, 24 May 2007 19:56:14 +0000, Ketzl's Dad wrote:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE -- Santa Fe Springs, CA -- May 23, 2007 --
Hong Chang Corporation, Santa Fe Springs, CA is recalling product
labeled as monkfish because it may contain tetrodotoxin

Damn - this is getting ridiculous.

No more imported foodstuffs for me.

As I said in another post in this thread, it's almost impossible
to avoid. Even if you buy stuff that's made in the US (or whichever
country you live in), they often get at least some of their
ingredients from China, as it is one of the cheapest places to
buy it.

At first I thought this was just greed. Greed and stupidity, plus
apathy (about consequences). Melamine makes the wheat flour seem to
have more protein, so it's a cheap way to meet their requirements.
And maybe they didn't know - ie, didn't bother to learn - that there
was enough melamine in their products to kill animals. Or maybe they
did know, but didn't care. But I still thought the overriding motive
was greed and cutting corners.

But what could be the motive for substituting deadly poison for
medicine (that was shipped to Panama)? If they'd just wanted to cut
corners, they might have cut the medicine with some inert, hard-to-
detect substance. It might have been quite some time before people
realized that the medicine wasn't effective, and figured out why.
Whereas it's kind of hard to miss it when a bunch of people suddenly
start dying. It would seem that the manufacturers *wanted* to call
attention to themselves. But why?

Why substitute pufferfish for monkfish? Was it an accident? If it
had happened in isolation, I might have thought so. But for one thing,
that's a pretty *big* accident. If you're in the fish-packing industry,
you probably can tell the difference between monkfish and pufferfish.
Maybe one package, mistakenly labeled, would slip by quality control,
but 282 22-lb boxes? And considering all the other deadly stuff coming
out of there, I do not believe it was an accident. And if they just
wanted to rip people off, they could have found a harmless cheaper
fish to try to pass off as monkfish.

Sorry to go on and on. But sometimes it feels like I'm the only person
who's angry about this, and the only person who feels like the FDA's
first priority is not to figure out what went wrong with "this
particular shipment" - but to see the common denominator in all of them,
and stop accepting ANYTHING from China until THEY can show that they've
taken control of the situation.

Joyce
Old May 24th 07, 10:03 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Daniel Mahoney

Why substitute pufferfish for monkfish? Was it an accident? If it
had happened in isolation, I might have thought so. But for one thing,
that's a pretty *big* accident. If you're in the fish-packing industry,
you probably can tell the difference between monkfish and pufferfish.
Maybe one package, mistakenly labeled, would slip by quality control,
but 282 22-lb boxes? And considering all the other deadly stuff coming
out of there, I do not believe it was an accident. And if they just
wanted to rip people off, they could have found a harmless cheaper
fish to try to pass off as monkfish.

Especially since pufferfish is a high-priced delicacy in many asian
countries, and sells for a lot more then monkfish.
Old May 24th 07, 10:20 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Matthew

Joyce, Daniel , Joey and everyone else

This craziness coming from over there is effecting everyone. I put up
several signs in my store windows that read something like this.( not exact
terms but close enough to get the general picture ) It is bad when small
businees men have to worry about putting signs up like this. Even though we
had none ofthe recall list items yet we have already had our share of the
nuts coming intothe stores and screaming they are going to sue us. It has
made me sick of humans when I have went into other company stores only to
find some products still on the shelf and the personal could care less till
you call the police and news channels.

" The owner, The company, Management and Service personal who work or have
worked here take no responsibility in any of the products that are on the
recall list or that are currently showing up everyday on the recall list and
the FDA warning list and FDA recall list future, past or otherwise.

Due to the lack of moral integrity and illegal activities overseas. This
company, owner and its personal past or present or future are in no means
responsible for the products on the recall list and FDA warning list or
these companies actions, products or any problems that may have or will
occur such as and including medical injuries, health issues, pet deaths, pet
injuries past, present or future.

All of us here are Animal lovers and feel the pain involved with the
current pet crisis and doing our best to help in any way possible. We morn
for all the pets that have been lost due to these companies illegal
activities

With the current issues that are becoming slowly aware to the public. It is
up to you to make the decision on purchasing and using these products. We
will do our best to post current recalls on the bulletin board and remove
the products from the shelf the moment we are notified but please be warned
up front about possible purchases you have made or will make before recall
notices are made open to the public or to the distributors and to the
companies themselves. With this current world crisis It is also your
responsibility to keep informed and update.

Any product purchased at our store with our store stamp on it open*,
used*, empty or other wise may be returned for a full money back refund or
exchange* - equal or lesser value *. * If open, *empty and or *used a store
credit gift card will be issued. We apologize for any inconvenience that
may or have had occurred. We ask for your patience and understandment in
these problems that are currently affecting and effecting everyone around
you. " If any questions Please feel free to ask any of the management
staff"

Old May 24th 07, 10:36 PM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Ketzl's Dad

On Thu, 24 May 2007 16:38:38 -0400, Daniel Mahoney wrote:

[...]

I'm all for a boycott. This is not normal paranoia here... this is real.
("Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're *not* out to get you.")

"Most Favored Nation Status"? Time to rethink that one.

--
Joey DoWop Dee
Remember: It is To Laugh

Old May 25th 07, 01:02 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
[email protected]

Daniel Mahoney wrote:

This makes me wonder all the more if this isn't being done deliberately.
Sure, maybe I'm too paranoid for my own good, but it looks to me like
we're under attack, albeit a semi-covert attack, by China.

Or at least, by a certain criminal element in China. How are they
getting away with it? Is the government just too incompetent to
control it? Or do they know, but not care? Or perhaps they approve?

If the third, that would be an act of war, IMO. But I'm not going to
assume that at this point. Let's just say there are some people who,
for whatever reason, seem to have a malicious motive, but at this
point, we don't know what it is. I can only say that if I worked in
a Chinese factory for slave wages, I would probably be pretty angry,
myself. However, I no longer buy the explanation that it's due to
general incompetence and/or poor management. Not when it happens
four times (that we know of) involving a deadly substance.

In any case, whether it's malicious or not, it's clear that imports
from China potentially pose a grave danger to the people in other
countries who consume those products. So whether we're paranoid or
realistic about the intent or motive of Chinese manufacturers, workers,
or whomever, for public safety, we should not be buying any Chinese
products until this is sorted out.

One thing I read recently is that it's very hard to trace where
some things come from originally. For example, some animal feed that
had melamine in it was imported from China by a San Francisco company,
then bought by a US distributor, then sold to various US manufacturers,
then sold to small companies that contracted out to the manufacturers.
Each company is required to show only where *they* got their goods.
They don't have to trace it all the way back to the source. Besides
that, in many cases, the original records are very poorly kept and
often wrong.

What a mess!

Joyce
Old May 25th 07, 01:52 AM posted to rec.pets.cats.anecdotes
Jack Campin - bogus address

This makes me wonder all the more if this isn't being done deliberately.
Sure, maybe I'm too paranoid for my own good, but it looks to me like
we're under attack, albeit a semi-covert attack, by China.

Or at least, by a certain criminal element in China. How are they
getting away with it? Is the government just too incompetent to
control it? Or do they know, but not care? Or perhaps they approve?

The most serious of these events has been the contaminated syrup
in Panama. The New York Times story makes it fairly clear that
there was no one monstrous ogre behind it; an accumulation of
minor misdemeanours adding up to a catastrophe. Looks like the
most culpable single firm was the Panamanian one that kept the
stuff in store for two years and then faked its sell-by date, but
when nobody in the entire supply chain checked what they were
selling, they are all equally to blame.

Are we to believe that the American recipients of the melamine-
contaminated gluten didn't know what was going on, when there
were thousands of tons of the stuff floating about and the scam
had been around for years? Like Mr Wang with his "glycerine
substitute", they must have figured it didn't matter very much.

National boundaries are irrelevant to this. Given the endemic
lack of proper testing of food ingredients worldwide, a Panama-
style disaster could easily happen with the entire chain confined
to the US.

I worked in large-scale food factories when I was a student, and
I saw what goes on. Every batch of pineapple ice cream got a box
of tartrazine thrown in. Did I have any way of checking what was
in the box for myself? No. If I'd been suspicious about a strange
label on the box, could I have got it sent for analysis? Not bloody
likely. And in the chickenfeed factory we added a bag of something
called "Toltro" to each batch. I never learned what it was meant to
be or do, let alone how to tell if there was anything wrong with it.